223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ok, im red and in a bit of a pickle. I thought i'd post this to get advice and maybe learn a thing or two. As you can see blue is dominating and he will get 78 units (it's his turn right now). So when its my turn i kind of need to attack him. But brown is a big problem because he cant attack blue even if he wanted to so all he can do is build up to eventually attack me. I realize i probably won't win this game, but what would you do?

2. #2 / 11
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

First thing I would do is fortify all those silly 2's into a single territory.  You're not helping yourself doing that.  Then shrink your territory a bit and give him a path through you to the blue guy.  It hurts a bit but I imagine the cards are up there and this far in unit count helps.

3. #3 / 11
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think 2's are a strong defence. If you only leave 1 in a territory, you are done for it when someone breaks through. A 1 will pretty much always lose to a 3v1 dice attack where a 2 can do some damage! But i might be wrong. What do the mathematicians think? Is it better to stack everything in 1 territory or leave some 2's out there?

4. #4 / 11
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Math has been done here:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1861/Math_behind_the_game

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 11
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

The tactic of leaving a bunch of 2's is stronger if you're defending against a continuous attack through your territories.

Strategically, you might prefer to maximize how much you're discouraging your opponents to break through, and also maximize how available units are for you to break through. I think Viper's point was that the 2's are just sitting there, unusable for attack, and your bottleneck defenses are weaker. But, sometimes you want to appear as less of a threat and a pain to do great harm to - the 2's accomplish both of those.

The probability of missing a 1/N event in N tries approaches 1/e as N gets large. I just wanted to put that in a signature.

6. #6 / 11
    Standard Member Knosken
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Why would you want to defend those areas in the middle of your territory? If he gets that far you have already lost anyway... it's better to use them.

7. #7 / 11
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:

The tactic of leaving a bunch of 2's is stronger if you're defending against a continuous attack through your territories.

Strategically, you might prefer to maximize how much you're discouraging your opponents to break through, and also maximize how available units are for you to break through. I think Viper's point was that the 2's are just sitting there, unusable for attack, and your bottleneck defenses are weaker. But, sometimes you want to appear as less of a threat and a pain to do great harm to - the 2's accomplish both of those.

+1

8. #8 / 11
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I would not attack blue, despite his large bonus, since he does not have more units than your other enemies.  Take Vipers advice and give brown a route to attack blue, since you have unlimited fortifies you can take your stacks of 40 and 45 back towards the center, I would take some of them to reinforce your other borders against brown and green.

Also note how both brown and green are purposefully adopting non-aggressive stances against you by leaving buffer territories between you and their stacks.  In your position you would be wise to respond in kind.  By not threatening them, you give them more space to move against blue.

Your real move in this game is to wait for one of your enemies to make a mistake.. blue has perhaps made that mistake by being so stretched out.

9. #9 / 11
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Maroon is either going to attack you at some point, hoping you will withdraw units to retaliate against a blue attack, or he will attack lime. If it were me, I'd be formalizing some sorta temporary pact, promising to give him the west long tunnel and kill about half of the lime stack that threatens you and stops him from getting it. He will then have access to blue, and maybe draw the fire of lime. Then reassess and ally with either against the other if needed, assuming lime gets swallowed up. Don't overestimate blue, he doesn't have that much, but if you were aggressive, you could keep a lot. But you need to get maroon off your back to do so with confidence.

It's an old topic I just saw, so would be cool to find out what you did and how it turned out!

10. #10 / 11
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I agreed with maroon to trade. I got tunnel A and chamber A, and he got my room and chamber to the east. Blue finished lime and we both attacked blue. Blue went on an all out attack on me which enabled maroon to take me out and finish blue off with my cards.

11. #11 / 11
    Standard Member Phoenixx
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Meanwhile, 5 months later, YuriZ has perfected his strategy and continues to dominate Antastic! on a regular basis. GG, YuriZ, GG.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)