Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)
  1. #41 / 143
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Then it's a bug.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #42 / 143
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Unit capture also appears to be on with factory capture.  I don't know if that should be on, off, or an option.

3. #43 / 143
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I am so incredibly excited by this development; I've been holding off on several board ideas until we had this option.

Now to find spare time somewhere...

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

4. #44 / 143
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Currently factories do not eliminate players when they capture capitals.

This will be fixed shortly (hopefully early next week).

5. #45 / 143
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Will all the rewriting stuff break anything existing?  I've seen a few boards in Dev already that are using Factories/Barren settings, and a board or two in Review, do these need to be held-up until the rewrite?

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.Ephesians 6:4

6. #46 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mine is off the table for the moment, but will return soon.  Good question by the way.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.
    Edited Wed 22nd Jun 01:10 [history]

7. #47 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think mine will only work if capitol capture works.  I can't forsee any of the current ones breaking with the options available.

8. #48 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There's only three changes and they are technically bug fixes for various edge conditions:

- Factory auto-assign separated from continent checking loop to prevent chaining of auto-assignments

- Factory auto-assign checks for player elimination by capturing their last territory or capturing their last capital

- Negative factories check for player elimination if factory destroys their last unit (or last capital)

Just running some tests on these now.

9. #49 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Awesome tom! 

In what order do these things happen?  If I have a factory producing +1 and -1 in the same place, which happens first?

10. #50 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It will depend on the order in which the continent records are retrieved from the database so it's not something you can rely on.

11. #51 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

Awesome tom! 

In what order do these things happen?  If I have a factory producing +1 and -1 in the same place, which happens first?

It doesn't really matter as long as there are no intervening consequences, does it?

12. #52 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Well it does matter if it's the player's last territory or last capital and the -1 results in them losing that territory if abandon is on and revert to neutral is immediate.

13. #53 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Well it does matter if it's the player's last territory or last capital and the -1 results in them losing that territory if abandon is on and revert to neutral is immediate.

That's my point.  Is there a check for those things after each allocation, or are all allocations made (summed in some cases) and then the capital/last territory conditions are checked?

14. #54 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The sequence is:

1. Build a list of all continents that are owned by the player. If any of these continents would result in a territory being auto-assigned to a new player, build a list of these assignments
    2. Loop through the auto assignments (if any) and reassign the seat to the player. This will happen in no particular order so if you have a territory changing hands multiple times it will depend on the order of the continents in the database (i.e. you should not depend on the order of assignment in your board design)
    3. Loop through all the factory bonuses and add / remove the units from the associated territory if still owned by the player (or a teammate)

15. #55 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sounds good.  I thought about the ordering of factory assignments and units placements and it can get really complicated so I think this is a good implementation. 

The bottom line is to not have overlapping +/- bonuses to the same factory with capitals as this could lead to undesirable consequences.  Said more succinctly, don't make the overlapping factory bonuses too complicated.

16. #56 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Could it possibly order the continents alphabetically so that we can determine the order?

17. #57 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Or how about by continent id so I don't have to name them alphabetically.

18. #58 / 143
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

But both of those aren't all that easy for players to figure out what they are going to get, especially the continent id.  Seems like completely random may be the best way (without the ability to set some trigger/hierarchy).

Still thinking about this...this still is going to not work completely perfect for SG is it?  Say you have Territory A, B, and C that then gives Factory D and Territory D, E, F that gives Factory A.  If Player A has A/B/C and Player B has D/E/F the end result would be both players get the factories and lose a territory of the continent right? Player A with B/C/D and also Player B with E/F/A?

For the record, I still don't completely understand this stuff, so if I'm way off/just causing noise then feel free to ignore this post! :D

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

19. #59 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

But both of those aren't all that easy for players to figure out what they are going to get, especially the continent id.  Seems like completely random may be the best way (without the ability to set some trigger/hierarchy).

The idea behind having continents pulled in order is that you can describe the behavior with reliability.  With an unknown ordering, there could be an issue that doesn't show up in testing, but comes up with the "random" ordering coming out of the database.

Your scenario with ABCDEF sounds good and doesn't seem to be a problem.  You can actually take away a territory, but you didn't have to attack it (sounds like fun).

20. #60 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

You can't depend on the continentID renaming static during board copies / imports so I don't thinl it is a good idea to use that - it's also not visible anywhere with the exception of the board export XML.

I've added a sort by continent name to the continent data retrieval - this will go out in tomorrow's update.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)