1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)
  1. #101 / 143
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I could see it being more useful if there could be a cap on how many neutrals there could be on the target territory ..independent of the standard unit limit for that territory.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

2. #102 / 143
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Why?

3. #103 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Let's say you wanted a territory to be somewhat of an impasse (like a mountain) on a board with abandon on.  So you set it up as a factory such that after players pass through it, it creates a "wall" by putting a few neutral armies on itself.  Well, after a few turns of the armies piling up, no one will be able to go through it.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

4. #104 / 143
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

With universal continents neutral territories should be affected, if that's possible.  For example, if I have continent A that produces 1 unit with a universal factory in territory B, and neutral owns territory B, add 1 neutral unit to that territory.

...  Otherwise, I could argue for the obvious corollary that your factory should produce 1 unit no matter who owns it, including me.

This is an interesting concept...imagine a continent that gives you a bonus but also other players as well?  Could spawn an interesting "King of the Hill" type of board.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #105 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Attila: http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/2400

M57:  You can easily use similar factories to fix such things, or just put a maximum on the territory, and adjust with dice modifiers/artillery borders.  

6. #106 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

It builds walls.  Walls you can't control, but still function as blockers.  

The idea of a universal factory that it does produce a unit, no matter who owns it, including me, or you, or, as I suggested, neutral.

This has other uses as well when you consider negative factories.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

7. #107 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Agreed.

8. #108 / 143
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Should it be another setting? I can see a scenario where you would want to allow factories to produce on a foreign player's territory (without auto-reassigning) but not on a neutral territory.

9. #109 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

M57:  You can easily use similar factories to fix such things, or just put a maximum on the territory, and adjust with dice modifiers/artillery borders.  

..but I wouldn't want a max on the territory, I just want a max number of neutrals.

10. #110 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Should it be another setting? I can see a scenario where you would want to allow factories to produce on a foreign player's territory (without auto-reassigning) but not on a neutral territory.

I like having it be an option.

M57:  I'm not sure how you could cap one and not the other...  

11. #111 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

..but I wouldn't want a max on the territory, I just want a max number of neutrals.

Actually... you could set a timer on the factory, with another series of factories that would stop producing after so many turns...

12. #112 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:
    M57 wrote:
    Edward Nygma wrote:

Actually... you could set a timer on the factory, with another series of factories that would stop producing after so many turns...

..and this timer would differentiate between a player and a neutral owning the property?

13. #113 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

No, but you could stop the player from producing neutral units there after so many turns... which is essentially a cap for the factory, not for the territory.

14. #114 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Create a territory that is just to cut off the timer...  As soon as you over produce, empty that territory... then you can no longer produce there since that territory is unreachable...  It's kind of like over fishing and the creature going extinct.

15. #115 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

If possible, can the 3 types of factories each be individual types specified on a territory by territory basis?

Standard

Auto-Capture

Universal

16. #116 / 143
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

you could set a timer on the factory, with another series of factories that would stop producing after so many turns...

Hey, Ed, could you spell out and/or give an example of how to put timer on a territory?

17. #117 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

easiest way:

Territories A, B form a continent producing on B; C, D, E (all three have max 1 and are off board) form three turn timer (initially neutral)
      C1: (A,B) plus 1 to B,
      C2: (A,B) auto assign 2 to C
      C3: (A,B,C) auto assign 2 to D
      C4: (A,B,C,D) auto assign 2 to E
      C5: (A,B,C,D,E) minus 1 to B (turn off)
      C6: (C) minus 1 to C (timer reset)
      C7: (D) minus 1 to D (timer reset)
      C8: (E) minus 1 to E (timer reset)

C-continent ()-members.

On the first turn A and B are held:       B gets 1 unit (C1),
                                                               C gets 1 unit (C2,C6)
    On the second turn A and B are held:  B gets 1 unit (C1),
                                                              C gets 1 unit (C2,C6),
                                                              D gets 1 unit (C3,C7)
    On the third turn A and B are held:     B gets 1 unit (C1),
                                                              C gets 1 unit (C2,C6),
                                                              D gets 1 unit (C3,C7),
                                                              E gets 1 unit (C4,C8)
    On the fourth turn A and B are held:   B gets 0 units (C1,C5)
                                                              C gets 1 unit (C2,C6),
                                                              D gets 1 unit (C3,C7),
                                                              E gets 1 unit (C4,C8)
    The factory is now off until A,B is broken. 

There are other ways, but this seemed to be the easiest I could think of.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

18. #118 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Timer:

Turn Based Timers:

To begin the timer, take a specific territory.  Take territory A.  At the beginning of turn 2, your continent that consists of territory A is a factory that auto captures territory B.  You can make all of these barren with 1 unit maximums and territory minimums of 0 and unreachable by borders, so they function without the player.  At the beginning of turn 3, if you have A and B, take C (another continent consisting of A and B that auto captures C).  Continue this chain until you reach turn n.  After n turns if you control A,B,C,D...,n then....  do whatever you want.  If you need the timer to end the game, then make it auto capture the opponent's capital.  If you need it to stop producing units in a factory, have it produce -1 in the necessary territory to produce the factory.  It will abandon and cut off the source.

Timers by action.  This is like the score keeper in pong.  Think of it as a carnival game where you drop balls into a goal, and when you do it moves your horse in a collective race.  Each time you score, make a continent that that contains the scoring territory, plus the position of the horse on the track.  At the beginning of your next turn, remove all units in the horse, reverting it to neutral, and autocapture the next horse location on the track.  This is a timer based on accomplishment and only ticks when a task is completed.  Still it can have a function that states "if you have scored "n-many times" then... win or something...  whatever you are timing.

Consider a best 2 out of 3 game...  You could have the whole map be 1 factory repeated over and over to empty the board, then allow the players to restart the game (there are a few different ways to restart the game).  Have that continent also keep track that player 1 has 1 point.  First to 2 points wins...  it's best of 3.

19. #119 / 143
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thanks Alpha, you're quick.

20. #120 / 143
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

If possible, can the 3 types of factories each be individual types specified on a territory by territory basis?

Standard

Auto-Capture

Universal

I guess so - do you think the global setting be removed or would it be combined somehow? I'm not sure how combination would work so it would probably have to be either global or per-territory.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)