Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)
  1. #1 / 143
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

[Updated with changed implementation details]

Factories and Barren territories have been implemented, I have tried to make their use as flexible as possible. Here's how they work:

Factory Territories
    - Factory territories are linked to a specific continent via the Continents drop down menu in the Designer
    - There can be only be one factory linked to a single continent (you can have multiple factories per continent by duplicating the continent and setting a different factory)
    - The factory territory does not have to be a member of the continent
    - If the factory is not a member of the continent then either the player or their teammate must also own the factory territory to receive the bonus units. There is a new rule setting which defines whether teammates can receive factory bonuses.
    - Factories can be linked to negative continent bonuses to allow for 'carnivorous / toxic' territories
    - Factory units are automatically placed / added at the start of the player's turn
    - Territory maxes are respected, excess units are discarded (do not go into player reserves)
    - Neutral factories are not supported (may appear in future)

Unit Placement Disabled (Barren) Territories
    - A switch which defines whether a player can place units on the territory
    - Ignored by factory settings (i.e. factories still place on these territories)

Thanks to M57 and others for the suggestions that led to this update. I think it will make possible some great gameplay advancements. As usual please post any bug reports and suggestions here.

Edited Thu 2nd Jun 05:47 [history]

2. #2 / 143
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Looks Awesome Tom!  Thanks for working on this.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

ps I forgot to say - you access these features by clicking on the 'Advanced' button when editing territories.

4. #4 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

These should be great.

I am not sure if this is my board or a designer issue, but saving currently resets all rules to default rules.  I will try to test this on another board later, but if you would like to see the board is 2390.  This board was created awhile ago and by assigning territories as barren, and saving, all rules default and barren is lost (returns back to placement enabled).

Small change/request.  Could the the factory territories be linked to more than one continent or would that require a large change?

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

5. #5 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Are barren settings ignored by initial placement?  That is if a territory is barren and random placement is on with 3 units per territory will that territory start with 3 units?

6. #6 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

These should be great.

I am not sure if this is my board or a designer issue, but saving currently resets all rules to default rules.  I will try to test this on another board later, but if you would like to see the board is 2390.  This board was created awhile ago and by assigning territories as barren, and saving, all rules default and barren is lost (returns back to placement enabled).

Small change/request.  Could the the factory territories be linked to more than one continent or would that require a large change?

Can you try force refreshing your browser (CTRL F5) and trying again? You may still have an older Designer version.

As regards relating more than one continent bonus to a factory - I made a design decision to allow a single continent to produce in multiple territories instead of allowing one territory to be linked to multiple continent bonuses. It would be tricky to allow both (a many to many relationship) from a design perspective (and probably be confusing for players also).

In retrospect I think it might make more sense to allow linking of one territory to multiple continent bonuses instead. This question is open to all designers - which would be your preference?

7. #7 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

Are barren settings ignored by initial placement?  That is if a territory is barren and random placement is on with 3 units per territory will that territory start with 3 units?

Yes it will ignore initial placement.

8. #8 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

In retrospect I think it might make more sense to allow linking of one territory to multiple continent bonuses instead. 

Actually the more I think about this the more I think this is the best way to go. If you wanted to relate a continent to more than one factory you could then just duplicate the continent and set it to a different factory. This allows any level of relationship you like.

I am going to put this feature on hold pending a rewrite - hopefully this will be complete this week. Barren territories will still work as before.

Edited Tue 31st May 14:11 [history]

9. #9 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

I am not sure if this is my board or a designer issue, but saving currently resets all rules to default rules.

There was a bug here which has now been fixed.

10. #10 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    tom wrote:

In retrospect I think it might make more sense to allow linking of one territory to multiple continent bonuses instead. 

Actually the more I think about this the more I think this is the best way to go. If you wanted to relate a continent to more than one factory you could then just duplicate the continent and set it to a different factory. This allows any level of relationship you like.

I am going to put this feature on hold pending a rewrite - hopefully this will be complete this week. Barren territories will still work as before.

I agree, it makes more sense to have multiple factories within a continent then to have one factory connected to multiple continents.  I was thinking of a board with "revenue" that would go to the capital city, but nothing great was planned.  Thanks as always for the immediate response.

11. #11 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Now that I have tested this feature, the barren territories seem to work the way they are intended to and the pop-up message is good.  However, I do have a minor bug/suggested change which is:

When selecting multiple territories and then selected Disable Placement, only the first selected territory picks up this property, not all of them.  It would be nice to send this property to all selected territories.

12. #12 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've updated the factory implementation with details above. Now the factory is linked to the continent as opposed to the territory. This means you can have multiple continents producing units on a single factory location.

I also added a rule setting 'Team Factory Production' - if set to 'On' then you can produce units in a factory owned by a teammate if you own the continent.

Also I fixed the bug above from Alpha.

13. #13 / 143
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Territories > Edit, the Fill test button is running off of the Board Designer.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

He has risen!

14. #14 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Refresh should fix that.

15. #15 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I've updated the factory implementation with details above. Now the factory is linked to the continent as opposed to the territory. This means you can have multiple continents producing units on a single factory location.

I also added a rule setting 'Team Factory Production' - if set to 'On' then you can produce units in a factory owned by a teammate if you own the continent.

Also I fixed the bug above from Alpha.

Great, I thought about it and it makes more sense to have the many to one set up this way, because you can create multiple continents (with the same territories) to be able to have more than one factory in a continent.

16. #16 / 143
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes exactly. Would have saved me a lot of time if I'd thought it through better instead of having to rewrite :)

17. #17 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Seems to be working perfectly.  Thanks for all the hard work.

18. #18 / 143
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Can it be set so that if you control the continent, but not the factory, the factory becomes yours?  This would also keep the factory being separate work well...

19. #19 / 143
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Or perhaps if the factory is neutral it becomes player owned.

20. #20 / 143
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Or perhaps this should be a designer option: "Must Own" or "Automatic Capture".

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12345678   (8 in total)