1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 30
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The new boards page is coming along well and I'm now looking for suggestions for board tags. These will be used as a quick way to filter which boards are visible in the boards list. At least initially these tags would be set by the board reviewers at the time of reviewing the board.

So far I have:

Geographic (anything based on map type geography)
    Novelty (e.g. pinball, arcade style games)
    Duel (2 player only boards)
    Classic (simple Risk like boards)
    Abstract (
    Fictional (boards based on places that don't exist) 

I am looking for around 10-20 different tags initially. There will be separate filters for size, popularity, difficulty, fog etc so don't worry about these.

2. #2 / 30
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

World, Europe, North America,  (More specific on the geography)

Sports, Board Games, Video Games, 

Tri, Quad (to go along with Duel)

3. #3 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I second Sports, Board Games, and Video Games.

Other ideas:

Books/Movies/TV (may fall under Fictional?)

Space

Tactical

Hordes

Non-Combat (Five, Seven, etc.)

And I'm going to go ahead and link WF just for ideas: http://wiki.warfish.net/wiki/Board_Tags

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Would be cool if you could somehow automate the Game Duration information on a Board's Chart page, so boards with 75% of games completed within 3 days as Quick, within 7 as Fast, within 30 days as Average, within 60 days as Slow, above 60 days as Long... or something.

I guess this could be a tag set by reviewers, but could be tough and would be nice if it was automatic (and since it appears this info is present for the Charts page perhaps it could be).

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

5. #5 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes although duration is heavily related to number of players. Probably need to gather some stats on game speeds to see how this distributes first.

6. #6 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yes although duration is heavily related to number of players. Probably need to gather some stats on game speeds to see how this distributes first.

But if you go with 75% (or some percent), then wouldn't you get the average duration within the average game size?  Which would give a "good enough" representation to slap a tag on a board.

/e awaits to be bombarded by the math gurus...

7. #7 / 30
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

are they going to fall into more than one category? for example nadroj's WoT maps will be 'geographical' but also 'book/fictional'

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

And I'm going to go ahead and link WF just for ideas: http://wiki.warfish.net/wiki/Board_Tags

That is rather handy! I think a lot of those can be automated. Perhaps we should also discuss what the criteria should be for Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced boards.

Should there be separate Main Category and themes? I was thinking of rolling those both into 'tags' so a board could be tagged both 'Geographic' and 'Fictional'.

9. #9 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I like the idea of multiple tags to a board, although perhaps a Main Category would be nice...

I believe Comrogue came up with most of the layout/info on that WF wiki page...it is laid out pretty good.

10. #10 / 30
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A "top board" tag could be useful for the 5 or 10 most popular boards on the previous month, for example.

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth
    Edited Tue 5th Apr 12:26 [history]

11. #11 / 30
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Agreed the WF tags look pretty good.  

I would be for eliminating the "main" category though and going with all "theme" tags.

12. #12 / 30
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

geometric and/or tiled

Edited Tue 5th Apr 22:26 [history]

13. #13 / 30
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

2 other possibilities:

1) (Since I just asked about it in the forums last week) Maybe Artillery is a tag?

2) (although it is already available via Player Info screen...) Board Designer
    I find myself drawn to Yertle and Kjeld's boards, so maybe I want to go find another one of theirs to play.
    Maybe it's a "Thank You" to the prolific board designers who we all appreciate:  once you've brought 5 boards to WG, you get your own tag??

14. #14 / 30
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

But if you go with 75% (or some percent), then wouldn't you get the average duration within the average game size?  Which would give a "good enough" representation to slap a tag on a board.

I think Yertle's right:

Yes, number of players does play a huge role.
    But I think that most (if not all) boards will have a tendency to move towards an ideal number of players for that board.
    For instance, Antastic/Colossal Crusade/Europe 1560 would generally drift towards games of many players, while boards like any Mario board/Micro Mission would drift towards games with fewer players.

I'm not saying that someone couldn't start a "small game" board with 12 people, but that's why you add Yertle's percentage in:  to remove the outliers.

15. #15 / 30
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

Could we compute an average time per player?  So come up with something like an average of 4.25 days per player on Antastic? 

In either this or Yertle's idea we are looking at rough estimates, but I think doing so has merit.

16. #16 / 30
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Should game duration be measured in rounds instead of days?  It seems like that would be the more useful measurement.  In fact I guess you could measure in turns - would that help to normalize the # of players factor?  

Then you'd probably want to use the avg. # of rounds or turns to bin into a more useful category like the ones Yertle suggested (quick, average, slow, etc.)

Edit: I think this is functionally equivalent to Amidon's suggestion.

Edited Wed 6th Apr 21:41 [history]

17. #17 / 30
    Standard Member Saiyan
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

How about recently added maps? Filtering newest to oldest or vice versa

"Welcome to the end of your life...And i promise you it's going to hurt."

18. #18 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes that view has been added. The new page is almost done, I'll release it to the test players tomorrow all being well.

19. #19 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yes that view has been added. The new page is almost done, I'll release it to the test players tomorrow all being well.

This in testing?

He has risen!

20. #20 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I decided to wait until after the long weekend to avoid and potential disruption. This will happen after the server move on Tuesday, assuming all goes well.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)