203 Open Daily games
4 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member Beastlymaster
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Is there a way to prevent some of the naming of games?  Some of the names and certain people seem to be inappropriate.  If it's not possible no worries, but if it can be prevented let me know.  Thanks.

Beastlymaster

~~~~~~~~~~
    So, Beastlymaster, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

2. #2 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Here is a stackoverflow discussion of options for programatic ways to filter cursing:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/273516/how-do-you-implement-a-good-profanity-filter

I think that any auto-filtering system is likely to have either false-positives or false-negatives or both.  Current practice is to report by hand, and let Tom handle it, i.e.

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1481/Inappropriate_game_name

3. #3 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

There is a preference on your settings page: This option censors out swear words from the site (useful when viewing WarGear.net from work).  I'm really unsure how well it works, my thinking is that it doesn't work all that great although I don't leave mine On and have just flipped it a time or two to see if it works.

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I have the censor preference turned on. It works well. Obviously, it's not going to censor swear words that are misspelled but that's pretty much the only time that words filter through.

5. #5 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

I have the censor preference turned on. It works well. Obviously, it's not going to censor swear words that are misspelled but that's pretty much the only time that words filter through.

Awesome!  Great to know, thanks for the info!

Cumberdale Classics Coming Soon!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

6. #6 / 8
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I did start work on a profanity filter for games but after a fair amount of reading (googling 'clbuttic') came to the conclusion that if someone wants to bypass a filter then there's so many ways to do it you can never completely prevent it using code alone. 

So the approach is to manually rename any games identified and warn the player who created them. If it happens more than a couple of times then a ban will be the result.

7. #7 / 8
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I did start work on a profanity filter for games but after a fair amount of reading (googling 'clbuttic') came to the conclusion that if someone wants to bypass a filter then there's so many ways to do it you can never completely prevent it using code alone. 

So the approach is to manually rename any games identified and warn the player who created them. If it happens more than a couple of times then a ban will be the result.

Similar to the way we deal with cheaters.  The community self-monitors ..and in this way sets the standards for decency etc..   If the admin is active and pays attention (on this site, it does), problems are dealt with in the most appropriate manner.  I'd say it's working great.

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 8
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

What about giving board designers the option to set a list of default names like on TOS.  That way you can still set whatever you want when creating a game but can also use a random default if you so choose.

That may help with people putting in random names when trying to create games.

Has this been brought up before?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)