212 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I have a couple questions on Notification Settings...

What are:

Board Reviewer Messages (is this the Pass/Fail notification of a Review game?)

Board Rating Messages

Tournament Messages

I have those three set to Email...but I'm not sure I've ever received any of them (other than the Board Reviewer if it is the Pass/Fail notification).  The Board Rating sounds like it could be when my board has been Rated, although that Setting is below in the Site Events section (the "review" one...I assume/think).

Just curious and wondering if they are sending things correctly.  Thanks!

2. #2 / 19
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ah yes this is a bit confusing I suppose :)

Board Reviewer messages => "You have been invited to review a new game board" / "Board design xxx has passed / failed review" - only if you are on the review panel.

Board Rating messages => "Your board has been rated"

Send a message when my board has been reviewed => "Your board design has passed / failed review"

Tournament messages are notifications for messages posted on a tournament page (similar to in-game messages).

3. #3 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

K, gotchya.
    Although Board Rating seems more like a Site event rather than an In-Game event.

I'm not sure the Tournament Messages email is working, unless it's something new. Mine is set to email and I don't think I've ever received an email saying there are new Tournament messages.

4. #4 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I propose there is an email sent out for Public Tournament invites. So each Public Tournament an email goes out to all WarGear members (restrict to only those eligible for Tournaments perhaps). Default is On, with the option to disable.
    I guess this could hurt with the whole spam filter thing, but could be a good WarGear is here reminder.

5. #5 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

What happened that monthly newslettery thing? Wasn't ASM going to author that? Board of the month; Large tournaments that are real close to being filled; New and Upcoming Features; Strategy and Tips; T-shirt and Mug sales..

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

6. #6 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote: What happened that monthly newslettery thing? Wasn't ASM going to author that? Board of the month; Large tournaments that are real close to being filled; New and Upcoming Features; Strategy and Tips; T-shirt and Mug sales..

It has been discussed before, and I was thinking about it again today, but to my knowledge hasn't ever come to fruition.  I've delved a bit into it a time or two but don't have anything to show for it :p

It is something that I'd be very interested in seeing happen, and perhaps I'll look into it again soon if it hasn't happened.

7. #7 / 19
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    I'm not sure the Tournament Messages email is working, unless it's something new. Mine is set to email and I don't think I've ever received an email saying there are new Tournament messages.

Ditto.

Would be happy to do the newsletter. Weekly or monthly? Monthly I could easily do solo, weekly would probably require another couple of regular/semi-regular contributors. Maelstrom might be a good choice since he claims (http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/663p4/Introduce_yourself) to be funnier than me.

...and is a douchebag

8. #8 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IMO: I would say weekly would be overkill. Monthly even has the potential to be overkill/spam (mainly probably don't want "Nothing New" too much), and monthly comes pretty fast. I would probably vote every other month...but just IMO. :)

9. #9 / 19
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yup I would definitely agree with monthly - weekly happens real fast!

I'll take a look for a suitable email newsletter manager / sender.

10. #10 / 19
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

How 'bout not so much a NL as a Push-Page? Give the e-mail a couple of headline/bullet points and a link that comes back to the site. That way you can archive/edit them and put links to them wherever appropriate (like the home-page).

I'm waiting for an interview with Norseman!

BAO alternative:
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

11. #11 / 19
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Okay, monthly. Trust me, there won't ever be "nothing new".

Make receiving the newsletter via email an opt-out option on the settings page. They'll all be posted in a sticky thread (or their own threads, if people like to respond), probably in the Welcome Forum (there's nothing going on in there, we want first-timers to see activity/participation).

I'll come up with several ideas for regular/semi-regular features for the WarGupdate, some of which can be reader-submitted. An interview feature is a great idea, and Norseman is a great candidate (we'll save the Tom interview for sweeps). "Game of the Month" is another obvious one. So is "Hot New Boards". "Forum Thread of the Month" would be a good one too, either for good jokes or very interesting discussion (or both). Once I get used to the new charts and their data, I should be able to quickly find a way to highlight a certain player or certain board that has been "Making Headlines."

Just that right there would be more than enough to fill up a monthly newsletter with pretty minimal effort. And that was just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll continue coming up with brilliant ideas. And that's in addition to the "Open Tournaments" and whatever other stuff Tom specifically wants in there.

EDIT: Should we split this Newsletter/WarGupdate discussion into its own thread?

...and is a douchebag
    Edited Thu 19th Aug 13:29 [history]

12. #12 / 19
    Standard Member Viper
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Speaking of the email notifications can you make it so the board name is included. I see tons of those emails all with different names and never remember what board I'm playing on by looking at the email. I'd also almost go as far as wanting to see players in game but that's probably a stretch.

13. #13 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:

EDIT: Should we split this Newsletter/WarGupdate discussion into its own thread?

I think so, you wanna do that?

Edited Thu 19th Aug 14:23 [history]

14. #14 / 19
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would like to, yes. I don't have the ability myself, obviously.

...and is a douchebag

15. #15 / 19
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK so actually the tournament messages setting is just for 'a tournament game is ready for you to join' and 'you've won the tournament' messages, not messages posted inside the tournament.

I did a bit of a tidy up of the options to make it a bit clearer for now.

16. #16 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: OK so actually the tournament messages setting is just for 'a tournament game is ready for you to join' and 'you've won the tournament' messages, not messages posted inside the tournament.

The 'a tournament game is ready for you to join' is not working then (never seen an email sent that I have tournament game invite), not sure about the 'you've won..' one yet though :(

17. #17 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I would like to, yes. I don't have the ability myself, obviously.

No tools for splitting, so I was going to start one (in another forum) and just copy your longer post to it...but I can't impersonate you either (although I used to be able to...what happened there tom?)... wanna just start a new thread somewhere?

18. #18 / 19
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    asm wrote: I would like to, yes. I don't have the ability myself, obviously.

No tools for splitting, so I was going to start one (in another forum) and just copy your longer post to it...but I can't impersonate you either (although I used to be able to...what happened there tom?)... wanna just start a new thread somewhere?

Oh, sure. Sorry, must have been thinking of some other forum, I thought you could just split. Alright, here:

Please ignore most of the posts in this thread after post #5. By the power vested in me by being super awesome, I declare this thread back on topic, that is, dedicated to questions about the different notification settings located at http://www.wargear.net/settings/notifications and pertaining only to the settings and information therein. Hereafter. Resolved.

EDIT: Here's the new thread http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1056/WarGear_Monthly_Newsletter

Just doing my part to hold in Risky's big deal-ness
    Edited Thu 19th Aug 17:43 [history]

19. #19 / 19
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

I did a bit of a tidy up of the options to make it a bit clearer for now.

Semd a message when my board has been rated

You spelled "Send" wrong. Smile

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)