1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)
  1. #21 / 264
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Agreed host name should be there + num players joined (from another thread).

We'll have to see what the take up of tournaments is like. I was thinking of capping it at 100 players max at least till the site grows larger.

Do games played in tournaments apply to your normal or team rankings also? Tournament rankings are completely separate

Do tournaments count towards the 10 game limit of standard players? Yes, it counts as 1 game

2. #22 / 264
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/4
    Rank (before it starts) displays 1=, looks odd.

3. #23 / 264
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Hmm fair point about lightning tournaments. It's not really going to work is it unless the site is REALLY busy or it's a very small tourney.

4. #24 / 264
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So you have to Join to Leave to Decline a Tournament? Then it still shows up in your Tournament List, only way to get it out of the Tournament list is to hit the Red X?

5. #25 / 264
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/8

Everybody join quick! It'll take a while to get all 1600 players.

... danger zone! ...

6. #26 / 264
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Understand tourney rankings are separate, but you play on X board. does the games you play in the tourney go towards your overall board ranking and championship points and whatnot or is everything to do with a tourney held separate?

1 tourney = 1 game? is that cus you're only playing one game in the tourney at a time? thought there was a tourney type where you played multiple people at once (was it the round robin?) or has the implementation changed such that you only play one at a time.

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

7. #27 / 264
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

ACK!!! a 1600 player tourney?!!! Cram is breaking things!

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

8. #28 / 264
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: ACK!!! a 1600 player tourney?!!! Cram is breaking things!

Na, it's Lightning, it should go fast. 

Cram you are {#emotions_dlg.cylon}

9. #29 / 264
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'll cancel it at some point, just so it goes away. But my preference for finding bugs is to exploit them once just to see it done, and then defend vigorously against other people doing the same.

ToS still probably has scars left from some of my attempts at getting things noticed.

... danger zone! ...

10. #30 / 264
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You have successfully joined the tournament.

Haha, now you are stuck with it!

11. #31 / 264
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks Cram you just had to go and break it didn't you.

OK so sensible limits...

max 100 players?
    Max one tourney in open queue per board?
    Max one open tourney per player?
    Host can cancel tournament when < 25% of players have joined?

12. #32 / 264
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

max 100 players?

how many seriously active players does the site have? that might be an indication of where the limit aught to be, but 100 is a good guess for now.

sounds good

i don't see a problem with 2...

Host can cancel tournament when < 25% of players have joined?

that's ok too, tho i wonder if it should just be that they can cancel it whenever before it actually starts play. say you get 80% of the players signed up, but then it sits around forever. might as well cancel it then, right?

I am a man.
    I can change,
    If I have to...
    I guess

Amen

13. #33 / 264
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

sounds good

i don't see a problem with 2...

Wouldn't want one player able to start up a tournament on every board and then no one else can.

I think those sensible limits work, hope to see the max 100 raised at some point in the near future :)

14. #34 / 264
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Couple bugs were already mentioned (periods and "its the"), but here's another: When hitting the red X to hide tournaments, the first one works fine but if you try to do it on a second one it doesn't go away. Refreshing the page correctly shows that you hid it, but just clicking the x does not actually hide it. I tested this twice with the same result.

1 tourney per board is probably a good limit to start, but I think maybe 2 or 3 might be worth considering later so that different options can be explored (e.g. 1 tournament with single players, 1 tournament with teams, 1 tournament with altered fog settings, etc.).

2 open tournaments per host is good I think.

I'd say 100-200 player limit for now, the site isn't that big yet I don't think =P.

I'd almost say cancel at 50% or below... but even more than that might be acceptable as weathertop mentioned.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

15. #35 / 264
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Is the trophy associated with the board? I thought it was a per tournament thing. Oh well. Risky, you should put a trophy up for Gauntlet. Perhaps this?

BTNGlove.gif

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

16. #36 / 264
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'd estimate at present there's 500 active players on the site. But there's varying degrees of activeness. 100 sounds a good maximum for now.

17. #37 / 264
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

100 player limit is fine, however it appears the only people that are joining tournaments are the people reading this thread.
    We need to spread the word.
    I have always thought that a News section on the Login, Home and/or My Games tab would allow us to stir up action in the other 90% of the population.
    Or what about a popup window like they do with Steam. When you log in it gives you the most recent news.

In the end, all things are squishy.

18. #38 / 264
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote: 100 player limit is fine, however it appears the only people that are joining tournaments are the people reading this thread.

Let's also keep in mind that the whole thing is less than 24 hours out of the box here too.  I'm fairly certain that curious players will soon notice the new tab and click on it.

A news section would be good, as long as it's kept current (let's not turn into the pathetic blog of ToS) and relevant.  I seem to recall that this idea was brought up and somebody volunteered Yertle to keep it up; I second the nomination.

As a short-term solution, what if Tom sent out an email to all players letting them know that tournaments have been launched in beta phase and that they should go check them out and provide feedback?

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

19. #39 / 264
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Email would be good. Instead of a "news section" that might risk not being updated, why not just put a box on the home page for the next week or two that people will be sure to notice (without being too obtrusive)?

20. #40 / 264
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote: why not just put a box on the home page for the next week or two that people will be sure to notice (without being too obtrusive)?

That would be completely acceptable.  It does not need to be a permanent News section.  But an occasional "hey look at me" banner or pop up could stir up interest in not just the tournaments but also the forum, premium renewal or board designing. 

I know off thread topic, I will leave it at that.

In the end, all things are squishy.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456789»»»   (14 in total)