1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #1 / 80
    Standard Member SaphuA
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yo,

I would very much like to be able to undo a fortify move. It has happened quite some times when I fortify, but suddenly see I should have attacked somewhere else.

Thanks!

2. #2 / 80
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I think there's a good argument for allowing players to undo actions. The two actions that wouldn't be undoable would be attack and end turn, the rest would be fine I think (i.e. place / fortify / transfer / trade cards).

3. #3 / 80
    Deceit by Design Wallace Wishmaster
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I think this is a great idea.

4. #4 / 80
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I think its a great idea too. I think transfer and fortify are the most important undoable actions. Sometimes if you forget the settings for a particular board you may accidentally abondon a territory, or maybe you clicked "T" when you didnt mean to. I have actually lost a game because of mis-clicking "T"

5. #5 / 80
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

What Morbo said. I also often fortify right before realizing that I had placed other units elsewhere on a big map and just wasted half my turn =/.

My question would be, would you only be able to undo the latest action (i.e. the latest fortify), or any of them (i.e. as long as you don't end your turn any fortifies made can be undone)?

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

6. #6 / 80
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think that a attack should be able to be undone. Ive hit the wrong button before but its better to have a few accidents then have people use the undo button to get a better roll every time. or do all out attacks and only keep the attacks where they have a better then average roll.

7. #7 / 80
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Vataro wrote:
    My question would be, would you only be able to undo the latest action (i.e. the latest fortify), or any of them (i.e. as long as you don't end your turn any fortifies made can be undone)?

I would say only allow "undo last action".  This is a fix for oops I clicked the wrong thing.

In the end, all things are squishy.

8. #8 / 80
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote: I don't think that a attack should be able to be undone. Ive hit the wrong button before but its better to have a few accidents then have people use the undo button to get a better roll every time. or do all out attacks and only keep the attacks where they have a better then average roll.

tom wrote: I think there's a good argument for allowing players to undo actions. The two actions that wouldn't be undoable would be attack and end turn, the rest would be fine I think (i.e. place / fortify / transfer / trade cards).

9. #9 / 80
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

No, obviously there would be no consideration of undoing an action that actually has an external effect. But a fortify doesn't do anything per se, doesn't reveal anything new, so could be undone without harm.

Not to say that I'm necessarily for such a feature, but just wanted to point out the intrinsic and substantial difference between one and the other.

It's a trap!

10. #10 / 80
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

KrocK wrote: I don't think that a attack should be able to be undone. Ive hit the wrong button before but its better to have a few accidents then have people use the undo button to get a better roll every time. or do all out attacks and only keep the attacks where they have a better then average roll.

Absolutely, this is not to be used for any action involving chance.

11. #11 / 80
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    Not to say that I'm necessarily for such a feature, but just wanted to point out the intrinsic and substantial difference between one and the other.

I am kind of on the fence for this.  I play very carefully so that I minimize mistakes.

But, there have certainly been times when I clicked to transfer all and wished I could take that back or I've been pulling down the drop down during a fortify and my mouse slipped and picked 6 instead of 50.

12. #12 / 80
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:
    asm wrote:

I am kind of on the fence for this.  I play very carefully so that I minimize mistakes.

But, there have certainly been times when I clicked to transfer all and wished I could take that back or I've been pulling down the drop down during a fortify and my mouse slipped and picked 6 instead of 50.

My view too.

Undo does kind of make sense, and can help with just plain misclicks, but I also think it can take away from planning when you can just Undo (even something small like a Transfer/Fortify).

If it was a vote, I'd vote to leave it as currently is, but also understand that the vast majority would probably be for Undo.

13. #13 / 80
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

This is why I'm off the fence and would not be against having this feature, although I could live without it.

I play carefully too, but nobody is perfect, and there are a lot of boards with 'strange' rules.  I would rather lose a game due to gross tactical and strategic stupidity than to interface error, forgetting no return to attack from transfer or fat finger syndrome.

-John Hancock-

14. #14 / 80
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle, get off my timestamp!

-John Hancock-

15. #15 / 80
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't like this idea at all. You breaky you boughty.

The Status is NOT quo

16. #16 / 80
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

When I was talking about being able to undo clicking "T" I only meant the transfer part of it.  So if you clicked "T" by mistake the attack would NOT be undo-able but the subsequent transfer would be undo-able.

17. #17 / 80
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Oh, I didn't realize that possibility was under discussion.

I don't think that should be an option. You might want to attack a territory and expect to transfer it all, but find out once you've conquered it that there was another huge stack hiding in the fog behind it. In this case the click in question can reveal information/change the game so should not be undo-able.

It's a trap!

18. #18 / 80
    Standard Member Morbo
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Oh, I didn't realize that possibility was under discussion.

I don't think that should be an option. You might want to attack a territory and expect to transfer it all, but find out once you've conquered it that there was another huge stack hiding in the fog behind it. In this case the click in question can reveal information/change the game so should not be undo-able.

hmmmm, tricky.  I hadnt thought about fog.

The information would be revealed to you no matter what button you use to attack and conquer the territory, so would it really matter?

19. #19 / 80
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think asm brings up a good point.
    If you consciously use T because you expect to go on an elimination run, but then see a huge gob of troops and are allowed to Undo, then yes that changes the game.

If you accidentally hit T instead of A, then maybe that's a bit different, but how would the system know what you wanted.

(I'd definitely be against any differing logic between Fog and non-Fog and/or a limited number of "Undos" per game, just in case those suggestions come up.)

20. #20 / 80
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Morbo wrote:
    asm wrote: Oh, I didn't realize that possibility was under discussion.

hmmmm, tricky.  I hadnt thought about fog.

The information would be revealed to you no matter what button you use to attack and conquer the territory, so would it really matter?

Another issue is the flip-side: if at first you transfer in 100 units but then decide you only want to transfer in 10, does the other player see that you have those 100 units?  I think it's fair for the history log to show the initial fortify, the "Undo fortify", and then the re-fortify.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)