232 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I believe this site is bogus. the dice are rigged or programmers manipulate the odds for some players. I can't prove it. Anyone else feel the same way?

Now before I get all of the "disrespectful" calls and the attackers. I want to hear opinion from the community.  It is easy to be rude, and it is easy to belittle and make jokes, but there is more integrity to have honest convo. I am only asking and inquiring on other's experience and thoughts.

If u feel strongly either way send me a message. or post it here. trust you won't be popular if you even question like i do, but i dont care...

2. #2 / 59
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

I believe this site is bogus. the dice are rigged or programmers manipulate the odds for some players. I can't prove it. Anyone else feel the same way?

You believe, but can't prove. So you have no statistical evidence. How about some empirical evidence? ..anecdotal??

If its just a 'gut feeling,' I think you have chosen a poor and "belittling" way of expressing your opinion. There's nothing wrong with questioning - but coming right out and accusing Tom IN CAPS of running a 'bogus' site is decidedly poor form.  You could have, for instance, chosen to start the conversation by asking which random number generator program is being used by the site.  You might then learn a thing or two about how and why it was chosen, and what its pros and cons are (there are no perfect # generators).

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 7th Jul 21:59 [history]

3. #3 / 59
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

The dice are rigged or programmers manipulate the odds for some players. I can't prove it. Anyone else feel the same way?

Sometimes I feel this way. Sometimes I also feel like I'm very good at playing risk (when the dice are good) and that it's all unfair (when the dice are bad). My H rating will tell you that I am exactly that level of player.

Statistically, I can pull a win out if the dice are good to me and will likely lose if they are not. It's frustrating when I lose, and feels good when I win. 

This is a great place to play risk. Don't bad mouth it. There are lots of opportunities to make improvements to the site. Lots of chances for feedback, lots of good minds here that know what are going on. 

You don't like the dice, don't play dice games.

You want a different way of determining roles? Make a suggestion. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

4. #4 / 59
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2173/Luck_Cumulative_Chart_Wargear_Warfare_1_v_1_games_SquintGnome

Check out Squints graphs. Sometimes luck is bad for a while. Blaming the site for that is a cop out.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 59
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I love it when a plan comes together!

6. #6 / 59
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    A-TEAM wrote:

You believe, but can't prove. So you have no statistical evidence. How about some empirical evidence? ..anecdotal??

If its just a 'gut feeling,' I think you have chosen a poor and "belittling" way of expressing your opinion. There's nothing wrong with questioning - but coming right out and accusing Tom IN CAPS of running a 'bogus' site is decidedly poor form.  You could have, for instance, chosen to start the conversation by asking which random number generator program is being used by the site.  You might then learn a thing or two about how and why it was chosen, and what its pros and cons are (there are no perfect # generators).

+1 to M57s opinion.

Show your evidence A-Team, you say you can't prove it, but there must be certain games you can point to if you feel so strongly.

Otherwise you just are just a Slanderer.

7. #7 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Well I called out Tom, because Tom was researching a matter that he was looking into several weeks ago and said he would get back to me. There were a few more incidents i questioned and he has been silent... no response, no feedback. only my issue exasperated but only with a handful of the same players. i am not trying to do anything but gain understanding...

8. #8 / 59
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I just read your profile page @A-TEAM.  It's not just Tom you seem to mistrust. Again, your language is decidedly accusatory.  You should report the names of those you suspect and those games to tom.  There's a button for that with each game. Yes, there are cheaters - but by and large it's not too hard to catch them. Tom has access to data and info like IP addresses that you don't.

If it's Tom who you don't trust, then you should leave the site - period.  He owns, runs, administrates it lock stock and barrel.  He was a highly respected and super-competent player on another site before he started this one from scratch.  He has built this site with HEAVY input from its membership. He is a busy guy with a RL job too, yet it is generally acknowledged that the level of customer service he provides here is top notch.

Which brings me to the membership here.  The top players, contributors, and participants/reader of the forums on this site are not a bunch of video thumb-gunning high school and college students. They're mostly professionals and are not swayed by innuendo and fallacious reasoning They include the likes of programmers and college math professors.  Detailed discussions about statistics and probability are found in many a forum thread here. The ideas and development of many of the the analytical tools (like H-Ratings and Luck Stats) the site provides come from within its ranks.  And, though it was before my time -  I believe, the engine that 'throws' the dice was debated and agreed upon by consensus as well.  You appear to have joined the site just a few months ago. You clearly have no knowledge of this history. Your credibility is nil, and lacking a shred of evidence, no doubt your very inflammatory accusations will fall on deaf ears at best, and put you in low standing in the community at best.

I recommend you dial back your rhetorical style of argument, stay skeptical if you like, and learn a little more about the history and workings of this site.  An apology to Tom wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Edited Wed 8th Jul 09:26 [history]

9. #9 / 59
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

Well I called out Tom, because Tom was researching a matter that he was looking into several weeks ago and said he would get back to me. There were a few more incidents i questioned and he has been silent... no response, no feedback. only my issue exasperated but only with a handful of the same players.

..which leads you to starting a thread accusing him of running a 'bogus site'?

If tom hasn't suspended their accounts, it's because they are probably not cheating.  If they are crossing a line, tom is more likely to warn them before pulling the trigger.  In the latter case, he may feel that it's not appropriate to notify you of how he is dealing with the issue.

Edited Wed 8th Jul 09:30 [history]

10. #10 / 59
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I just read your profile page @A-TEAM.  It's not just Tom you seem to mistrust. Again, your language is decidedly accusatory.  You should report the names of those you suspect and those games to tom.  There's a button for that with each game. Yes, there are cheaters - but by and large it's not too hard to catch them. Tom has access to data and info like IP addresses that you don't.

If it's Tom who you don't trust, then you should leave the site - period.  He owns, runs, administrates it lock stock and barrel.  He was a highly respected and super-competent player on another site before he started this one from scratch.  He has built this site with HEAVY input from its membership.

Which brings me to the membership here.  The top players, contributors, and participants/reader of the forums on this site are not a bunch of video thumb-gunning high school and college students. They're mostly professionals and are not swayed by innuendo and fallacious reasoning They include the likes of programmers and college math professors.  Detailed discussions about statistics and probability are found in many a forum thread here. The ideas and development of many of the the analytical tools (like H-Ratings and Luck Stats) the site provides come from within its ranks.  And, though it was before my time -  I believe, the engine that 'throws' the dice was debated and agreed upon by consensus as well.  You appear to have joined the site just a few months ago. You clearly have no knowledge of this history. Your credibility is nil, and lacking a shred of evidence, no doubt your very inflammatory accusations will fall on deaf ears at best, and put you in low standing in the community at best.

I recommend you dial back your rhetorical style of argument, stay skeptical if you like, and learn a little more about the history and workings of this site.  An apology to Tom wouldn't be a bad idea. 

I just looked over your profile as well and have to agree with M57 here. There are better ways to go about this. You said that you wanted to have an honest conversation and hear other people's opinions on the matter, but the way you approached it is quite off-putting. 

As for the apparent dice bias, could it be that you're overestimating your own skills? Your H-rating is 54%, and considering that you only play two player games, that means you're winning just over half of your games. Seems like you're just an average player who thinks he's a master.

11. #11 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

as i said. i knew you would attack me. well attack is strong, we'll say you are defending what u know and believe. it is easy to admonish and correct me. i am new. u said it, i have no credibility. i am the minority. i have no history, i do not know the history. you don't like my statement. u say i slandered. that wasn't my intent, but i def wanted to draw attention and engaged the community. yes i wanted to see how the response would be rec'd as well i was curious and interested in the feedback... however if all of u longtimers and defenders could hear me and perhaps take on a little empathy.. because as u pointed out i am new. and to you the matter is clear. so without adding to my frustration provide guidance, helpful opinion, suggestions that will help me understand. or throw stones. I can't b the first newbie who has found aspects of the site frustrating.

Perhaps dialback the response. or not. I am taking it all in. i raised my concern.

12. #12 / 59
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AfroDaby wrote:

I just looked over your profile as well and have to agree with M57 here. There are better ways to go about this. You said that you wanted to have an honest conversation and hear other people's opinions on the matter, but the way you approached it is quite off-putting. 

As for the apparent dice bias, could it be that you're overestimating your own skills? Your H-rating is 54%, and considering that you only play two player games, that means you're winning just over half of your games. Seems like you're just an average player who thinks he's a master.

Ha! I didn't notice that all of your game were 1v1 - in which case, short of those players hacking into the system, there is nobody to accuse of rigging/cheating except Tom!  the players are decidedly NOT cheating.

Tom is God of the entire WG universe.  You either trust in his omnipotence and honesty or you don't.  If he is selling 6's on the side, you will never prove it.  They are dice!  Some people WILL get screwed by them more than others. Take a course in probability if you don't understand why.

13. #13 / 59
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM, I doubt there is anyone you'll come across who has had worse dice than I have for the duration of time I've been on the site.  I don't blame Tom for that.  From my experience, I believe his integrity for the site is beyond reproach.  And the site is certainly not 'bogus'.  From what I've seen, it's the 'best' site for risk-based games.  If you feel the dice are  always against you, try to find some games where the luck factor has less of a weight.  There are some maps here (perhaps Ratsy knows a map or two) to try out.

14. #14 / 59
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thingol wrote:

A-TEAM, I doubt there is anyone you'll come across who has had worse dice than I have for the duration of time I've been on the site.  I don't blame Tom for that.  From my experience, I believe his integrity for the site is beyond reproach.  And the site is certainly not 'bogus'.  From what I've seen, it's the 'best' site for risk-based games.  If you feel the dice are  always against you, try to find some games where the luck factor has less of a weight.  There are some maps here (perhaps Ratsy knows a map or two) to try out.

I'm an alright 1v1 player who can overcome bad dice once in a while.  Might I suggest trying Battle of Bladensburg, Iwo Jima, Battle of Waterloo and Blind Antastic.  All are very good dueling boads where the application of skill and learning can overcome a few bad rolls.  If you are as good as you seem to take yourself for then you should be able to rock the WarGear world on those boards!

15. #15 / 59
    Standard Member Abishai
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You are right A-Team. This site is being run by an elite class of reptilians that wants to keep you regular standard humans in their place. In order to gain favor with us you have to sign over your soul, or pay $10 every few months. We noticed you were doing quite well in wargear warfare 1v1 and even broke 2000 GR. Some of the reptilian elites were not pleased so we decided to predetermine dozens of your following games by giving you the 2nd seat a lot and by impeding your rolls. We also do not take kindly to vocal opinions against the elite so your acount will soon be deleted and so will this thread. Or we will leave everything be and play coy. Over time everything will simmer down, just the way we like it.

16. #16 / 59
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Gods, threads like this make me wish I was the kind of person to abuse power.

In your Face!

17. #17 / 59
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM.  You are not the only one to make claims like this:

From my perspective, I've had good runs and bad runs, but never anything that made me suspect the dice are anything but random.

It's not unusual to identify patterns that aren't there or to focus on the bad luck and ignore the good luck.  This is common to all human brains, but that is why claims like yours require empirical evidence.  Whenever someone has looked into this in a statistical sense, there has been no evidence that dice are anything but random.

18. #18 / 59
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

19. #19 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thanks. I appreciate the comments, the jokes, the rebukes, the advice, etc etc.  Just trying to understand what the heck is going on. I hate to lose. I really hate to lose. That is all I have done, well not initially but once I settled in, that is all I have done. So either I stink which is why I will continue to lose and or I am regularly unlucky which too is why i will continue to lose. So, it is clear now, Everything is on the up and up... therefore I suck. My wins when they occur are due to lucky rolls, and my dumb luck to be able to tie my shoe laces every now and then. 

20. #20 / 59
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Could be the "wide load"...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)