240 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #41 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

i actually understood regression. and thank you, i too am familiar with google. I am not a mathematician nor a statistician-which in all of your eyes is obvious requiring no mention. It is fair to conclude that I was in a fluke losing streak against a handful of the same players, or perhaps you could suggest that my wins are a fluke. Also, it is not likely that i am seeing a change in play/strategy from some of those same players but rather I have decided to see what I want to see and have naively convinced myself to believe. All these assumptions thoughts and ideas may or may not be true. However no matter the case. i have heard from Tom (sort of) and I was assured that all is fair on the site. So the matter is settled.

As for multi-player games... i prefer faster games. so... and to play other boards which require more "skill" and less luck", I prefer classic risk.

So it is what it is. We can end the thread or feel free to correct, rebuke, throw stones, coddle, or do whatever you feel. I think I have said all i need to and heard as much as I expected and was hoping for (even more) from all of the comments provided up to this point. Thanks. Perhaps, i will be a positive contributor to the community, and maybe I'll get booted or leave. in the meantime I won't create anymore complaint or accusatory threads. Peace to all! Happy rolling!

2. #42 / 59
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Cheers.  Best of luck!

3. #43 / 59
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>Perhaps, i will be a positive contributor to the community, and maybe I'll get booted or leave. in the meantime I won't create anymore complaint or accusatory threads. Peace to all! Happy rolling!

I hope you stick around.  We can always use more blood.  

>other boards which require more "skill" and less luck"

btw, there are some boards on here, were there is no luck at all, because dice are not rolled (or effectively, the dice always roll 1s. 

If you ever do decide to try out another board, please feel free to invite me to a private game if it's one of mine, and I'd be happy to go over it with you.  If you like 1v1, you might like this one based on the battle of Iwo Jima:

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Iwo+Jima

There's kind of a lot going on, but if I walk you through a game you'd catch on pretty quick.

4. #44 / 59
    Standard Member AfroDaby
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I hope you stick around as well. I'm not so big on real-time games, and you're not so big on daily games, but maybe one day we'll branch out and meet each other in battle =)

5. #45 / 59
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

BTdubs wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:

Regression. What does it mean?

Pretty sure this is a statistics joke about the concept "regression to the mean'".  Meaning sometimes your luck is good, sometimes bad, but if you take a big enough sample, it comes out average.  

In A-Team's case, it means he had terrible luck a while, and now is having good luck; both are just statistical flukes in a system that is essentially random.

Yes, this is the correct answer. Thanks, BTdubs, for filling in for me this weekend. Also, thanks for catching the pun.

In your Face!

6. #46 / 59
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Wow, I've been wacked out on meds for Chikungunya this last week and had trouble figuring out if this thread was serious...

7. #47 / 59
    Premium Member berickf
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I didn't think there was a treatment for it... Meds to alleviate the symptoms while your body struggles with it?

8. #48 / 59
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Chikungunya is no joke, I just spent two weeks in Nicaragua and did everything I could to avoid it. Hope you get better soon, INAT

9. #49 / 59
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

fucking mosquitoes

10. #50 / 59
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

berickf wrote:

I didn't think there was a treatment for it... Meds to alleviate the symptoms while your body struggles with it?

Yep, mainly tylenol for the fever along with Naproxen for the pain.  On my 2nd day I headed to the hospital where they gave me something more for fever (104 after tylenol), and IV saline for a few hours.  After they checked for typhoid and dengue they sent me home and told to drink LOTS of fluids.

Not as bad as H1N1 or Kidney stones, and unless it goes hemorrhagic you just wait it out.

You learn what arthritis must be like, as every joint aches. On day 8 I still feel it in my fingers and get tired easy, but otherwise I think I'm good.  I had another blood test to make sure my platelet count was safe and that's it.

The worst part  was actually on my 3rd or 4th day when the all body rash turned into a CRAZY all body itch and then I was on constant Benedryl and some other antihistamine that had me looped out for the next 4 days (apparently this part was abnormal).

Edited Thu 16th Jul 01:41 [history]

11. #51 / 59
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've had tough times recently with my health (shingles, empatigo, thrush, gall bladder, and a 1-inch kidney stone - all within 3 month timeframe), but this thing you caught sounds horrid Itsnot. Good luck on getting rid of it and getting back to full health.

12. #52 / 59
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

At least it wasn't a tumor.

13. #53 / 59
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:
    berickf wrote:

Yep, mainly tylenol for the fever along with Naproxen for the pain.  On my 2nd day I headed to the hospital where they gave me something more for fever (104 after tylenol), and IV saline for a few hours.  After they checked for typhoid and dengue they sent me home and told to drink LOTS of fluids.

Not as bad as H1N1 or Kidney stones, and unless it goes hemorrhagic you just wait it out.

You learn what arthritis must be like, as every joint aches. On day 8 I still feel it in my fingers and get tired easy, but otherwise I think I'm good.  I had another blood test to make sure my platelet count was safe and that's it.

The worst part  was actually on my 3rd or 4th day when the all body rash turned into a CRAZY all body itch and then I was on constant Benedryl and some other antihistamine that had me looped out for the next 4 days (apparently this part was abnormal).

Oh buddy... that sounds rough.  But nothing like a little fever induced hallucinations to see you through!

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

14. #54 / 59
    Premium Member IRsmart
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I just read your profile page @A-TEAM.  It's not just Tom you seem to mistrust. Again, your language is decidedly accusatory.  You should report the names of those you suspect and those games to tom.  There's a button for that with each game. Yes, there are cheaters - but by and large it's not too hard to catch them. Tom has access to data and info like IP addresses that you don't.

If it's Tom who you don't trust, then you should leave the site - period.  He owns, runs, administrates it lock stock and barrel.  He was a highly respected and super-competent player on another site before he started this one from scratch.  He has built this site with HEAVY input from its membership. He is a busy guy with a RL job too, yet it is generally acknowledged that the level of customer service he provides here is top notch.

Which brings me to the membership here.  The top players, contributors, and participants/reader of the forums on this site are not a bunch of video thumb-gunning high school and college students. They're mostly professionals and are not swayed by innuendo and fallacious reasoning They include the likes of programmers and college math professors.  Detailed discussions about statistics and probability are found in many a forum thread here. The ideas and development of many of the the analytical tools (like H-Ratings and Luck Stats) the site provides come from within its ranks.  And, though it was before my time -  I believe, the engine that 'throws' the dice was debated and agreed upon by consensus as well.  You appear to have joined the site just a few months ago. You clearly have no knowledge of this history. Your credibility is nil, and lacking a shred of evidence, no doubt your very inflammatory accusations will fall on deaf ears at best, and put you in low standing in the community at best.

I recommend you dial back your rhetorical style of argument, stay skeptical if you like, and learn a little more about the history and workings of this site.  An apology to Tom wouldn't be a bad idea. 

+1

15. #55 / 59
    Standard Member A-TEAM
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Thanks for your plus 1 pile on. I made it clear i communicated with Tom.

The reality is I am a terrible no-talent player. I complain when dice do not go my way. I am lucky with extremely favorable dice when I win. There is no issue other than my complaining and my disrespect. You and the wise others who have pointed out what I should have already known are appreciated and helpful. Thank you for making the community great. As I said before you will not have to worry about me creating any further inconsiderate and inflammatory threads. Thanks again for the co-sign, it helps to re-iterate the truth that I did not know when I first posted.

16. #56 / 59
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

For anyone - 1v1 games on wargear warfare are substantially based on luck no matter who you are.  SquingGnome once did an analysis of their luck over 500+ 1v1 games of WGWF.   The interesting thing was that when he went first and had positive dice luck he won 93% of his games.  When he went last and had negative luck, he won 19% of this games.  So you can see just how much of a factor luck plays in that particular scenario.

Here's the thread:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2173/Luck_Cumulative_Chart_Wargear_Warfare_1_v_1_games_SquintGnome

And here's some stats:

Overall Win %     59%

Seat 1 win %     72%

Seat 2 win %     39%

Win % if game luck is positive     85%

Win % if game luck is negative    33%

Win % for seat 1 and pos luck     93%

Win % for seat 2 and neg luck    19%

17. #57 / 59
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Mad Bomber wrote: The first three rounds of luck seem the most critical....we should have a first turn luck stat...or round by round luck........losing 8 in a row on round three vs round 21......

Yes, and there's a lot of garbage luck out there. E.g. a lot of it accrues while players are running the board.  The topic comes up a lot, but I don't believe anyone has done a statistical analysis of wins based on initial territory allocations.  Because there are games with more than 2 players, I suppose you could apply an H-rating style algorithm.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

18. #58 / 59
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That was a cool little stats sheet that SG did.  

19. #59 / 59
    Premium Member Chele Nica
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

A-TEAM wrote:

Thanks for your plus 1 pile on. I made it clear i communicated with Tom.

The reality is I am a terrible no-talent player. I complain when dice do not go my way. I am lucky with extremely favorable dice when I win. There is no issue other than my complaining and my disrespect. You and the wise others who have pointed out what I should have already known are appreciated and helpful. Thank you for making the community great. As I said before you will not have to worry about me creating any further inconsiderate and inflammatory threads. Thanks again for the co-sign, it helps to re-iterate the truth that I did not know when I first posted.

Thank you A-Team for this recent post, I'm glad you decided to stick it out and listen to why many of us love this site and the community, and why we respect the work that Tom does. 

In my humble opinion, if you have an H Rating of 52%, you are a damn good player. A good number of the people who play here are definitely above the norm (those of us who used to be the Risk nerds / champions back in high school until we got here and got beat by better players). You're winning over half the time, (similar to what I have) so I'd say you're not a bad player, and there's always room for learning and improvement as you pick up on new strategies, and avoid the cheaters. At least one of the players on your wall is also on my black list, so just avoid them and have fun!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)