210 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Would it be possible to allow Cards to be placed even after you Place all your units but prior to any Attack?  Might even be nice to allow to go back to the Place and Undo your Unit Placement if you haven't made any Attack.

Yertle is here.

2. #2 / 37
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

If you place your initial units, then click on cards, trade some, then go back to the Player, the unit placement is broken and you have to re-load the Player.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

3. #3 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: If you place your initial units, then click on cards, trade some.

I don't think you can do this can you?  If Return to Unit Placement from Attack is Off.  But I want to be able to do that if I haven't actually Attacked yet (you can do this on WF, but you don't get to replace your units you already placed, but I would like that option as well).

Yertle is here.

4. #4 / 37
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

No I mean without concluding the phase. For instance, say I'm getting 6 units this turn, and on first glance that looks fine, so I decide not to use my card set. Then I put down a few armies and I say to myself, man, this 6 army business is just not going to cut it. I'm going to need that set. Click Cards, trade them, back to |> Play, and now its broken.

I agree

5. #5 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ahhh, ya, but that's different from my request.

Yertle is here.

6. #6 / 37
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

In that case, I disagree with your initial request. It's just asking Tom to save us from ourselves. In my opinion, once you click the next phase (if there's no phase switching), the last phase is over, and if you screwed up it's your fault. Might as well ask him to program something in where if you attacked the wrong territory and lost all your troops, you could undo that as well.

So there.

I agree

7. #7 / 37
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I semi-agree with you (although your example is a bit extreme), so it's not a huge thing if the request is denied. Although I'm fairly certain you can click the Fortify phase and before you Fortify the Attack phase is still available to Return to (is that different or not, hmmm maybe it is different).

Yertle is here.

8. #8 / 37
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: ... Might as well ask him to program something in where if you attacked the wrong territory and lost all your troops, you could undo that as well.

So there.

I don't know how many times Ive wanted that.I usually attack the right territory and still fukn lose...so tom is you want to just go ahead and grant me that power in totally fine with that Wink

9. #9 / 37
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I'm a little torn on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has clicked to place a single unit before going 'dammit cards', and being locked out. The card tab now has the card number and is colored green (is it color coded if you have a match? I dunno) but I still forget it.

I think maybe cards should be added as a phase, which is more inline with the way the original board game is played. This way you could gracefully handle return-to-cards from place, return-to-cards from attack, etc. It would also skip the phase if you don't have a match, but require you to click through if you DO have a match, even if you don't have 5.

What do ya'll think? Adds a potential click to every turn where you have 3 or 4 cards and don't want to use them, but would save the frustration of missing cards.

10. #10 / 37
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

im all for anything that helps me turn in my cards at the start of the turn. i have managed to idiot myself right past cashing when i wanted to more than a few times now; and i've only played a few games.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

11. #11 / 37
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

As have I Cram. >_>

12. #12 / 37
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: I'm a little torn on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has clicked to place a single unit before going 'dammit cards', and being locked out.

But that's not the way it works.

I agree

13. #13 / 37
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I LOVE THE IDEA OF MAKING CARDS A SEPARATE PHASE AND HAVING RETURN TO CARDS BEING AN OPTION DIFFERENT FROM RETURN TO PLACEMENT. HAVE THE CARDS PHASE BE GREY IF YOU DON'T HAVE CARDS AND YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF YOU DO!

I wrote that in all caps to let you all know that I am yelling at you

The Status is NOT quo

14. #14 / 37
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote:
    IRoll11s wrote: I'm a little torn on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has clicked to place a single unit before going 'dammit cards', and being locked out.

But that's not the way it works.

See, my brain wouldn't allow me to realize how stupid I actually am, so it assumed this was the way it works.  If you are telling me it isn't, then I have to assume that all those times I f'ed up were in fact by finishing my placement phase altogether and THEN saying 'dammit cards'.

15. #15 / 37
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

yup, pretty much.

We've all been there.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

16. #16 / 37
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Having cards as a separate phase is doable but I'd hate to implement it at this stage - the logic relating to phase switching is already tortuously complicated given all the possible rule sets.

As such I'd consider it quite low priority given the amount of time it would take to implement and back test against all the existing boards. I'll add it in as a request but in other words don't hold your breath ;)

17. #17 / 37
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I don't think it's worth all that.

As Risky would say - back on another website I used to play games at, it would actually pop up your cards in the middle of (what would be the equivalent of) the Player window at the start of placement phase if you had a set, so you'd actually have to skip past it. That made it pretty tough to screw up by forgetting to turn in a set that you wanted. Any chance of that?

I'm thinking that the Player already runs a check against your cards at the beginning of a turn, right, because sometimes it pops up the mini window that says "you must turn in some cards." So add logic that checks for a card combination rather than just the maximum and have it pop up a similar but different window that says "you have a set! wanna use it?" with buttons "let's do it man!" (in green like the cards button on top?) and "skip to turn."

This would use existing code (I'm guessing), and would help avoid the main problem under discussion. Without back-breaking effort.

I agree

18. #18 / 37
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure OK will add that in.

19. #19 / 37
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I don't think it's worth all that.

As Risky would say - back on another website I used to play games at, it would actually pop up your cards in the middle of (what would be the equivalent of) the Player window at the start of placement phase if you had a set, so you'd actually have to skip past it. That made it pretty tough to screw up by forgetting to turn in a set that you wanted. Any chance of that?

I'm thinking that the Player already runs a check against your cards at the beginning of a turn, right, because sometimes it pops up the mini window that says "you must turn in some cards." So add logic that checks for a card combination rather than just the maximum and have it pop up a similar but different window that says "you have a set! wanna use it?" with buttons "let's do it man!" (in green like the cards button on top?) and "skip to turn."

This would use existing code (I'm guessing), and would help avoid the main problem under discussion. Without back-breaking effort.

WHY? the card button turns green if you have a matching set. why would you need it to pop up also?

Don't Taze Me Bro!

20. #20 / 37
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Sure OK will add that in.

Please don't. 

What about the games where you can hold more than 5 cards?  Especially if you're playing Infection the way Cram wants you to and store up your 15+ cards to get the full 15 stretch.  It would be such a pain in the a__ to have to skip through that each turn.

I like the turns-green tab, it works just fine.  I think the main issue would be at what point in time you can no longer trade in cards.  If you can make it so that the cards tab is still active until you make your first attack then everyone (from what I've read here) should be happy.

On a slightly related note, can we have the player go back to the Play tab if we no longer have a match?  That should be a fairly simple script to add.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.
    Edited Fri 18th Dec 14:50 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)