236 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456789»»»   (24 in total)
  1. #21 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote: I was looking at starting a game and went to the create game tab. there was only a pull down tab of names to choose from so i had to go to the boards tab to see which one was which.

Suggestions:
    - need to be able to see at least a thumbnail of the board on the Create Game page.

- nowhere that i can find is a place to see the 'About game' info or 'Rules' or any of that type about a particular board (am i just missing this or can you really not see it until you launch a player after having already joined a game on that board?).

- would be nice if you could see the above info AND create a game while viewing a particular board on the Boards page.

You can create a game from the Boards page and it will Default the board into that list (but I agree, I don't like the drop down much either, although a new window is possibly kind of blech too).

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Infection From the Boards tab click on the Board Name to get to all the Board info.

Yertle is here.

2. #22 / 476
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    weathertop wrote: I was looking at starting a game and went to the create game tab. there was only a pull down tab of names to choose from so i had to go to the boards tab to see which one was which.

Suggestions:
    - need to be able to see at least a thumbnail of the board on the Create Game page.

- nowhere that i can find is a place to see the 'About game' info or 'Rules' or any of that type about a particular board (am i just missing this or can you really not see it until you launch a player after having already joined a game on that board?).

- would be nice if you could see the above info AND create a game while viewing a particular board on the Boards page.

You can create a game from the Boards page and it will Default the board into that list (but I agree, I don't like the drop down much either, although a new window is possibly kind of blech too).

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Infection From the Boards tab click on the Board Name to get to all the Board info.

AHHHH, D'OH....sorry i knew i was doin something wrong! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

k so all that remains is a thumbnail for the dropdown list. but i probably wont use that page anymore since i can do it from the Boards page.

Don't Taze Me Bro!

3. #23 / 476
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Suggestions:

1. Check the board browser link on the Create Game page.

2. If you look for the board on the boards tab you can see all the About / Rules tabs there

3. If you look for a board via the boards tab there is a 'Create Game' button on each boards 'About' tab.

I agree though it would be nice to see a thumbnail preview of the board on the Create Game select board list.

4. #24 / 476
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I suspect this suggestion has previously been made:

For custom fog games it would be nice to have a link/tab under the board tab to the initial board position. This would make the amount and whereabouts of the custom neutrals would be easy to access.

5. #25 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Do you mean neutrals set by the board designer in the scenario? You should be able to see these from the Scenario tab.

6. #26 / 476
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Do you mean neutrals set by the board designer in the scenario? You should be able to see these from the Scenario tab.

Something's wrong possibly at times with the scenario tab, ie this game http://www.wargear.net/games/player/4587

Yertle is here.

7. #27 / 476
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Sweet! I assumed such a tab did not exist since I did not see it - but that is on boards with no starting scenario. Great great feature...

8. #28 / 476
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You hinted at this already: "Daily / Weekly 'it's your turn in x games' emails", but I was wondering if we could get one email saying we have a turn in a game, then not get subsequent ones until we log in and play. That way I would know when I have turns, but not have to deal with 20 emails in my inbox to delete.

9. #29 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sure, I'll think about the best way to implement that.

10. #30 / 476
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Some tooltips on the Create Game screen might help clear a bit up. For example, what does 15 minute turn limit even mean?

Cram it.

11. #31 / 476
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Tooltips are pretty much always rad.

On a side not, are tooltips and alt-text the same thing? What's the distinction?

12. #32 / 476
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: On a side not, are tooltips and alt-text the same thing? What's the distinction?

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200604/alt_text_is_an_alternative_not_a_tooltip/

Cram it.

13. #33 / 476
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

At some point I would like the one-time ability to reset my statistics in terms of games won/lost, boots, and surrenders.

As of now, I have 4 boots. All 4 occurred because even though I set my vacation time for 12 days, it wasn't 12 days from the time I set it, it was 12 days ending at midnight. Thus my vacation time ended exactly 1 hour before I logged in to check my games.

I have 2 surrenders. I don't remember surrendering out of any live games, I did surrender out of all my current Board Review games before I left on vacation thinking this would be the nice thing to do.

I have 6 losses in 6 games. 2 of those losses were for Maze games that started out with 12 players and wound up with 8-9 players booted out of each one. Because of the non-random startup locations the winner of these games was as predetermined as you can get in a Risk game.

3 of the other losses also involved games with boots that impacted gameplay.

Ultimately I won't lose any sleep over it, I'm never going to be a rank hound and eventually this dreadful start will be absorbed by my extended dreadful play, but it would still be nice not to be saddled with what is essentially an artifact of a site in development status.

14. #34 / 476
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    asm wrote: On a side not, are tooltips and alt-text the same thing? What's the distinction?

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200604/alt_text_is_an_alternative_not_a_tooltip/

You asshole, immediately after asking that question, I googled it and learned all about the two and their differences. You just cheerfully give me a link to read? I'm disappointed in you.

15. #35 / 476
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: At some point I would like the one-time ability to reset my statistics in terms of games won/lost, boots, and surrenders.

The surrenders will drop off next time I rerun the stats - they shouldn't be there as they were Dev games.

As regards resetting your stats, the problem is I periodically need to be able to re-run through all the games to recalculate stats if for example I change the way a stat is calculated or stored in the database.

So, if your stats are reset, the next time the recalculation runs you'll get them added back in. In which case the only way to remove a stat is to invalidate the game by setting it's status to terminated - but this would affect the stats of the winning player in that game which is potentially unfair towards that player.

I don't want to get in a position where the stats of any individual player are massaged as then I lose the ability to do a complete stats refresh which is periodically useful. Having said that I appreciate you don't want to be saddled with an unfair record. I'll have a think about how this can best be achieved.

16. #36 / 476
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Easy, best way to achieve this is to say hell no. Like I said, not the end of the world. Just ranting about it a little makes me feel better =]

17. #37 / 476
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Sure, I'll think about the best way to implement that.

I would recommend a big colorful spinning die. Perhaps somewhere in the lower right hand corner of the browser window. ;)

18. #38 / 476
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yeah yeah yeah Vat sheeeesh I'll start working on it as soon as tom answers my message about the JSON format. *Grumble sputter.*

Although I'm thinking a spinning Gear would be more appropriate don't you think?

Akrati_Associates_Animated_Gear.gif

19. #39 / 476
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Heh, perhaps.

20. #40 / 476
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'd like something a little more exciting when I win a game. Instead of a box just saying "You have won", which is a little anti-climatic, perhaps the box could have some interesting information. I'd suggest:

- a tabular style text that shows the calculation of points that you got from each player;
    - the total amount of points that you earned by winning the game;
    - your new total amount of points;
    - your progression in ranking.

Below is an example of what it might look like:

===============================
    Congratulations, you have won!

Joe 980/1200 x 20 = 16
    Fred 1100/1200 x 20 = 18
    John 1320/1200 x 20 = 22

Total points earned = 56

New total = 1256

Ranking advanced 12th -> 8th