1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Someone recently surrendered, mid-tournament, from the round-robin Appomattox tournament. Will those who haven't played with that person be credited with a win? 

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/105

If two people in this tourney go undefeated, but one of them didn't get to play the surrenderer, will the other player win the tournament because they will have ended up with a better record?  If so, it seems at bit arbitrarily unfair. 

..but we won't be completely happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.
    Edited Sat 10th Jul 22:11 [history]

2. #2 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Will those who haven't played with that person be credited with a win? 

Yep.

M57 wrote: If two people in this tourney go undefeated, but one of them didn't get to play the surrenderer, will the other player win the tournament because they will have ended up with a better record?

If the two top players have the same number of Wins then it goes to Score, in which the player with the top Score gets #1.

At least those are my understandings.

3. #3 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yes correct.

4. #4 / 12
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

M57 wrote: If two people in this tourney go undefeated, but one of them didn't get to play the surrenderer, will the other player win the tournament because they will have ended up with a better record?

If the two top players have the same number of Wins then it goes to Score, in which the player with the top Score gets #1.

At least those are my understandings.

I understand that the winner is ultimately chosen by the score, but I'm still a bit confused on how each player's score is calculated in a tournament.

Am I to understand that each player's score in a tournament is based on the outcome of the game + the current score for each player when they start their game?  In other words, if I play against M57 and win, his score goes down & mine goes up.  Then in our next games, those scores are then used to calculate the next game's ending score and so forth until the end of the tournament.  Or are the scores essentially "fixed" so that each player wins/loses the same amount of points based on how many wins/losses he/she has?

If so, then how does the surrenderer's score change if he/she doesn't play any more games?  If not, then how are the scores calculated?

(See what I mean about being confused?)  {#emotions_dlg.disturbed}

~StepOnMe - there's none like her!

5. #5 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Your score at the end of a game is what is used to calculate how much up/down it goes. So it's best to lose early and win late (for the most part :p).

6. #6 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yippie!  I'm on track for implementing that strategy.  Well, ..at least the first part.

7. #7 / 12
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Your score at the end of a game is what is used to calculate how much up/down it goes. So it's best to lose early and win late (for the most part :p).

Right.  So what happens when a player surrenders before finishing a tournament?  How is his score determined?  And how does it effect the other players' scores for the remainder of the tournament?

8. #8 / 12
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

StepOnMe wrote:
    Yertle wrote: Your score at the end of a game is what is used to calculate how much up/down it goes. So it's best to lose early and win late (for the most part :p).

Right.  So what happens when a player surrenders before finishing a tournament?  How is his score determined?  And how does it effect the other players' scores for the remainder of the tournament?

Good question Step,

I'm going to guess that all those games are more or less instantly finished at the same time, but in an order pre-determined order by the queue such that the "second" winner's score will be computed against the surrender's score based on the surrender's score after it has been adjusted by the "first" winner's score, and so on down the line.

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it.

9. #9 / 12
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote: Good question Step,

I'm going to guess that all those games are more or less instantly finished at the same time, but in an order pre-determined order by the queue such that the "second" winner's score will be computed against the surrender's score based on the surrender's score after it has been adjusted by the "first" winner's score, and so on down the line.

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it.

That makes sense.  Any way to verify it for the tournament in question?  (Just curious!)

Edited Wed 14th Jul 15:09 [history]

10. #10 / 12
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I surrendered first round of the first tournament ever started. (WIN!) Maybe you can use that to check?

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/1

,and he is a douchebag.

11. #11 / 12
    Standard Member StepOnMe
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: I surrendered first round of the first tournament ever started. (WIN!) Maybe you can use that to check?

http://www.wargear.net/tournaments/view/1

I don't think it really works the same way since that tournament was using the swiss system.  The tournament in question is using the round robin system.

12. #12 / 12
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Also, you screwed that one up by doing that and Tom had to fix it manually, and this was before a lot of the current tourney setup was in place.

...and is a douchebag

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)