225 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

So I was on vacation in Colorado Springs last week, and wound up playing 4 days of golf, 3 days of 9 and 1 of 18.  The first hole on day 1 was the first time I've picked up a gold club (other than miniature golf) in my entire life.

I have several observations from this experiment:

1. Gold balls are gravitationally attracted to water.
    2. The game is much easier if you make sure the ball ends up closer to the hole after each shot.
    3. I can't hit a golf ball with a wood to save my life.

I can see why people play the game though, as frustrating as it can be the few times you manage to do something right can fool you into thinking the game is easier than it actually is.  I had a single par the whole week, but also had a brilliant sand wedge from 40 yds out roll to within 2 feet of the cup, and sank what must have been a 70' putt.

Now I just have to figure out why I can't hit the ball off a tee with 1 wood that has a gigantic club head and have it go more than 50 yds sideways, but can consistently hit one out of tall grass with a 7 iron and have it go perfectly straight about 110 yds.

{#emotions_dlg.confused}

The last ytmnd link I will use as a sig, I swear.

2. #2 / 10
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I use to play, long ago. When you really get a hold of one with your driver (1 wood as you call it), it is a great great feeling. In general, it's great to hit a ball well and watch it float in the air, and especially great if it lands on the green after said floating. Unfortunately, the game is extremely frustrating when the things that can go wrong do go wrong 90% of the time.

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Did you see any of the nice tourist attractions in the Springs? (Garden of the Gods, etc)?

4. #4 / 10
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I enjoy a round every so often. I don't have the time to do it much, but I'm decent at it anyway. The little successes can add up to something very epic in your own mind, which is, I agree, very rewarding.

Plus, beer cart girls are usually pretty easy on the eyes.

... danger zone! ...

5. #5 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm just happy to break 100 on most courses.

Edited Sat 12th Jun 23:27 [history]

6. #6 / 10
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Ya know I checked my club and it says '1 wood' on it, but I'm guessing people don't call it that do they...

I actually mistyped, I was in Colorado but in Pagosa Springs, not Colorado Springs. Not all too much to see other than the town, the hot springs smelled like a brimstone pit and were overpriced, not to mention obscenely overdeveloped.

Was in Colorado Springs years ago, don't remember much other than the cog rail up Pike's Peak and the tour of the Air Force Academy.

The last ytmnd link I will use as a sig, I swear.

7. #7 / 10
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

it probably was a 1 wood, which is not a driver.

... danger zone! ...

8. #8 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A 1 wood is not a driver? That's news to me. What's the difference?

9. #9 / 10
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote: A 1 wood is not a driver? That's news to me. What's the difference?

Well, Wikipedia has put me in my place. I have an old set of clubs with a modern driver. So my woods appear distinctly different than the driver. The driver is very large in comparison; both much longer in shaft and with a more bulbous head (yeah, yeah, go for it, kids - I would). I always figured, as a result, that I had a driver and three fairway woods numbered 1, 3, and 5.

There seems to be a some gray area in it all, which might save me from being totally wrong, but I'm ashamed to admit I wasn't very much right.

... danger zone! ...

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

1 wood == driver

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)