221 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

it would be great to see a couple changes to how game programming works here:

Once you surrender you shouldn’t need to complete your turn. You’ve resigned the game. Also - call it that.

When a territory is captured there shouldn’t be any more than 1 troop advanced. This is how other sites do it. This keeps players from using up a reinforcement turn regardless of return to attack, which to me really makes no sense.

that is all for now.

2. #2 / 10
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya wrote:it would be great to see a couple changes to how game programming works here:

Once you surrender you shouldn’t need to complete your turn. You’ve resigned the game. Also - call it that.

When a territory is captured there shouldn’t be any more than 1 troop advanced. This is how other sites do it. This keeps players from using up a reinforcement turn regardless of return to attack, which to me really makes no sense.

that is all for now.

Sorry,

Resigning occurs in chess, not in battle.

Advancing the number of armies equal to the number of dice thrown adds strategy to each roll, maybe players don't employ strategy at those other sites.

Also, from the actual original Risk rules from Hasbro (you claim to be old school Risk player):

Capturing territories. As soon as you defeat the last opposing army on

a territory, you capture that territory and must occupy it immediately. To

do so, move in at least as many armies as the number of dice you rolled in

your last battle. Remember: In most cases, moving as many armies as you

can to the front is advantageous, because armies left behind can’t help

you when you are attacking. Also remember you must always leave at least

one army behind on the territory you attacked from. During the game,

every territory must always be occupied by at least one army.

"Just sayin', it's easy to get humble around here."
    Edited Sat 24th Sep 17:42 [history]

3. #3 / 10
    Standard Member MrPlaya
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

semantics. Once you leave a game, you should be out of that game and not need to take or complete a turn.

There are times when advancing those extra troops puts them in a corner territory rendering them useless.

4. #4 / 10
    Tournament Tender hootz72
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

It was semantics when you initially brought it up, but since you did, I'm assuming you expect Putin's Army will resign?

You are clearly missing the point on the relationship between the number of die rolled and armies and the strategy that has been associated with that in the 65 years the game with those rules has been around. Check with hasbro maybe they will change the rules for you.

Let me make it simple for you: If you don't want to leave useless armies DON'T ROLL 3 DIE.

"Just sayin', it's easy to get humble around here."

5. #5 / 10
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

MrPlaya wrote:semantics. Once you leave a game, you should be out of that game and not need to take or complete a turn.

You can "Surrender" from any game whenever it's not your turn. Just go to that game's view page:

https://www.wargear.net/games/view/xxxxxxxxx

And if you're in the middle of your turn and wish to leave the game, the solution is not that hard: Just end your turn, then surrender.

There are times when advancing those extra troops puts them in a corner territory rendering them useless.

As hootz said, you don't have to advance all troops. However, per the original and official rules of the game, you must advance as least as many troops as the number of attack dice used. Think of it in terms of the real world analog; the number of troops that attack actually need to enter the country they conquer, at least temporarily.

Solution. The "T" button advances all troops, so don't use it. All other buttons leave you with the option of not moving in (fortifying) additional units.

Exceptions: There are some boards that are purposely designed such that you must use the T button, but these are are typically un-risk-like boards in the first place.

6. #6 / 10
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

Yes, attack with one or 2

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

7. #7 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

it's a programming thing; you can't execute two commands at the same time. if it's your turn, it's executing 'your turn' protocols -- if you wish to enact 'surrender' protocols, you must wait for 'your turn' ones to cease to be engaged. thus end your turn.

also, surrendering in a multi-player game needs acceptance by all other players (if it's 1v1 or mutiplayer game down to just you and one other, then there's no approval needed). this is intentional.

i think others have already answered the question as to when there's a need for more than 1 unit to advance, so i'll not add to that.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 10
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>This keeps players from using up a reinforcement turn regardless of return to attack, which to me really makes no sense.

Changing topics a bit here, but I thought an interesting rule might be to not allow players that free-fortify when you take a territory. i.e. if you want to move more than the # of dice rolled, you need to use a fortify to do so. Might be an interesting way for a map designer to use # of fortifies to limit the amount of agression that can happen on one turn.

9. #9 / 10
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:>This keeps players from using up a reinforcement turn regardless of return to attack, which to me really makes no sense.

Changing topics a bit here, but I thought an interesting rule might be to not allow players that free-fortify when you take a territory. i.e. if you want to move more than the # of dice rolled, you need to use a fortify to do so. Might be an interesting way for a map designer to use # of fortifies to limit the amount of agression that can happen on one turn.

Interesting. I'd try it if someone made a map like that. Would slow down play for sure, unless the number of forts is high.

For WGWF multiplayer it would completely remove the possibility of an elimination spree, though. Sounds like a bad thing there. Would have to find the right board.

10. #10 / 10
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:>

If one had a handful of fortifies with return to attack turned on, this suggestion would be an interesting modification of games with limited attacks. Essentially, you'd have n number of normal attacks, based on the number of n fortifies, and the ability to have attacks where only 1, 2, or 3 are fortified. Sounds like fun, or very frustrating. :-) I'd try it.

Edited Fri 30th Sep 00:03 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)