238 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)
  1. #61 / 137
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Gah! I just went to update PipeDream with the Dual Layer and the thumbnail looks awful.

Can we please be able to upload our own thumbnail images?

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

2. #62 / 137
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Let me know when there is a tutorial available, I'm in Risky's boat. I understand what it does, just not exactly how to do it. I'd like to see some pictures of each layer individually and how they work in game.

3. #63 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote: Let me know when there is a tutorial available,

I have something together for a Help page, sent tom some pics to upload, hopefully will have it sometime during the day.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

4. #64 / 137
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Toaster wrote: Gah! I just went to update PipeDream with the Dual Layer and the thumbnail looks awful.

Can we please be able to upload our own thumbnail images?

Sure I can add that feature in... but the thumbnail looks good to me, how do you want it to look?

5. #65 / 137
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Which thumbnail image were you looking at, the one from my released board or the copy I made of it for Dual Layer?

The one looks like this:

thumb_1.png

The other like this:

thumb_2.png

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

6. #66 / 137
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ah OK. Will fix that - the thumbnails will be a combined image once done.

7. #67 / 137
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Should look a lot better now.

8. #68 / 137
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yup, it is. Thanks.

9. #69 / 137
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Tom, what are your thoughts on raising the image file size cap to 1.5 or 2 MB?

So far I've found that in converting over my existing boards, which were all mostly pushing the 1MB cap, that the added blurs, blends, and transparency gradients are turning my images into about the 1.2-1.5 range (after OptiPNG). The ones I've gotten uploaded are because I managed to find places in the image that I could get away with cutting out some detail. Castles is really giving me fits, though.

If you don't want to have to spend the extra resources on it, I'll understand and learn to cope. It's less of an issue if I'm starting a new board from scratch, as I'll typically just make the overall image dimensionally smaller. That's what I had to did with 1776; it was somthing like 1000x700 pre-dual and is down to around 800x650ish after adding in the blurs and transparency to get the file size down. (I can still go that route with Castles, its plenty big enough to shrink and still look good, I'm just admittedly too lazy to want to move all my territories to fit after its done).

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

10. #70 / 137
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote: Tom, what are your thoughts on raising the image file size cap to 1.5 or 2 MB?

So far I've found that in converting over my existing boards, which were all mostly pushing the 1MB cap, that the added blurs, blends, and transparency gradients are turning my images into about the 1.2-1.5 range (after OptiPNG). The ones I've gotten uploaded are because I managed to find places in the image that I could get away with cutting out some detail. Castles is really giving me fits, though.

If you don't want to have to spend the extra resources on it, I'll understand and learn to cope. It's less of an issue if I'm starting a new board from scratch, as I'll typically just make the overall image dimensionally smaller. That's what I had to did with 1776; it was somthing like 1000x700 pre-dual and is down to around 800x650ish after adding in the blurs and transparency to get the file size down. (I can still go that route with Castles, its plenty big enough to shrink and still look good, I'm just admittedly too lazy to want to move all my territories to fit after its done).

Eh. I think I'm withdrawing my support of this idea. One, it comes across as kind of a pet request, which i hate. Two, its all about laziness. Sure, the extra capacity would allow for some neater stuff, but not much. Mostly it would just breed more laziness. 1 MB is good.

11. #71 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Is the 1MB a restriction for each image (Board/Fillmap/Fog) or for the total size of the three images together?

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

12. #72 / 137
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Is the 1MB a restriction for each image (Board/Fillmap/Fog) or for the total size of the three images together?

I'll tell you in a minute...

13. #73 / 137
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It's each. All my problems are solved.

14. #74 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote: It's each. All my problems are solved.

Wow, that's impressive then!  So essentially the map can be up to 2MB since you could probably place some things on the Board Image and some on the Fillmap depending on what you needed where and how much size you needed to shave. 

The Fog Image is kind of different, but probably won't have the detail as the other two, so 1MB is probably going to be more than enough isn't it?

What's Your Passion?

Edited Thu 18th Feb 10:11 [history]

15. #75 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Should look a lot better now.

What should?  Toaster's Pipe map or all maps with Dual Layers?

What's Your Passion?

16. #76 / 137
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

Wow, that's impressive then!  So essentially the map can be up to 2MB since you could probably place some things on the Board Image and some on the Fillmap depending on what you needed where and how much size you needed to shave. 

The Fog Image is kind of different, but probably won't have the detail as the other two, so 1MB is probably going to be more than enough isn't it?

Yeah, 2MB. I split the graphics between the two for Castles. Probably another 1 for the fog, but you can't use that for the same load shedding trick.

17. #77 / 137
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Nevermind. It only draws the filled areas once a game is started.

18. #78 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

Nevermind. It only draws the filled areas once a game is started.

Kinda makes sense I guess, but kind of a bummer too :P

What's Your Passion?

19. #79 / 137
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've updated the images used for the board list and game join pages so they now incorporate the fill layer where appropriate.

For example: http://www.wargear.net/games/join/10782

20. #80 / 137
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I've updated the images used for the board list and game join pages so they now incorporate the fill layer where appropriate.

For example: http://www.wargear.net/games/join/10782

What do you mean by board list?

Shouldn't this http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/War/Games%20List display the icons differently then?  More like this http://www.wargear.net/boards/designer/631  *edit* You just update something, because now it seems correct? *edit*

Same with Speakeasy.  *Perhaps this one is fixed as well...*

Also what should the Board Image page display? http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/642/Board

What's Your Passion?

Edited Thu 18th Feb 13:44 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234567   (7 in total)