1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Lieutenant Jax Jax is offline now
    Standard Member Jax
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

There are luck stats per game, but it would be cool to see over time and possibly in conjunction with the players rankings history.

Could even be a leader board for most to least lucky.

2. #2 / 7
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Ya, the luck stat is a fun one to look at and can be a good source of discussion/amusement/discontent around particular games.

It's tough to do more with it then that though - because different boards have different total numbers of troops on them the stat doesn't really carry between boards. Similarly you can get a big swing late in a game when 2  people have large numbers of units, but by that point it may not really matter.

It would be cool to see a cumulative luck score of some sort for players though - we used to get people on a regular basis complain the dice were rigged - it would have been fun to see if they really had bad luck or was it all in their mind.

3. #3 / 7
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Most likely, when averaged out over many games, a player-level luck stat would be pretty boring. It would trend heavily toward 0. That said, it could be interesting to look at short-term streaks, like luck over the last 10 games. I think it could also be interesting to see cumulative luck score by player by board -- I know there's boards where I've had a string of bad-dice games.

4. #4 / 7
    Standard Member Johasi Vidad
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

Most likely, when averaged out over many games, a player-level luck stat would be pretty boring. It would trend heavily toward 0. That said, it could be interesting to look at short-term streaks, like luck over the last 10 games. I think it could also be interesting to see cumulative luck score by player by board -- I know there's boards where I've had a string of bad-dice games.

+1

Like to play unique boards come join the Board Revival Group - http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/4082p1/Board_Revival_Group

5. #5 / 7
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Luck stats only tell you so much, as Amidon said. I once had an Antastic! game where I could see from the initial distribution that I was going to lose and was tempted to surrender before play. I figured I'd play one round rather than surrender immediately. My round was fabolously lucky, and my opponent's really unlucky, so I took one more round. The same thing happened in R2. And R3. But none of this changed the essentials of the position so it remained obvious my opponent would win, it would just take him longer to get there. At the end he had something like -40 luck in a game that - overall - was really lucky for him, as the initial distribution advantage was worth more.

Edited Wed 9th Dec 10:12 [history]

6. #6 / 7
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Another example involves end-game garbage luck stats. For instance when players run the board by collecting cards via elimination. At a certain point it's a foregone conclusion that they'll win regardless of their luck.

7. #7 / 7
    Premium Member Mad Bomber
    Rank
    5 Star General
    Rank Posn

The first rounds are the most important? I’ve always wanted first round luck stats

i want equal amounts of blueberry's
    I play on any field of battle...not just three boards

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)