2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 17
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I went looking for an in-progress game on Cramchakle's War to use as an example in another thread, and I found that many have been idle for weeks or even months.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/War/Games%20List?viewselector=all&sortfield=games.gamestatus&sortorder=desc&filter=War

Not sure if it would be worth the time to go through and manually do anything with these games, but it would definitely appeal to my personal sensibility to get rid of them somehow.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

2. #2 / 17
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep there should be some general housekeeping stuff happening - maybe games that have had no activity for > 1 month?

3. #3 / 17
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Since you ended that sentence with a question mark I will reply in the affirmative.

1 month sounds good. If it's been that long, people obviously aren't coming back; they'd have been booted 28 days ago if the autotimer had been in place when they started the game.

I agree

4. #4 / 17
    Standard Member paulharrow
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I know I'm stating the obvious, but don't forget to check that the current player is not on vacation. ;-)

5. #5 / 17
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

For 70+ days? Must be nice!

I agree

6. #6 / 17
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

This ties in nicely with what I was thinking of last night. I guess so far you've been keeping the history logs for all of the completed games. Do you have plans to keep them indefinitely?

My thought on the matter, I've played a few online games where limited DB information about the game, such as the history logs for the games, were made available to a third party website for data analysis.

Would be really cool if somewhen down the road I could build ranking tables for things like 'most sixes rolled per die ever' or 'best ratio of kills to losses ever' and things like that. Stuff that can be analyzed for individual games but using the entire history of every game combined.

903244_big.jpg

7. #7 / 17
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would cream my pants if that were possible.

I agree

8. #8 / 17
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: For 70+ days? Must be nice!

True, LOL.  I guess I just noticed that the 1 month had potential to line up with the 4 weeks vacation limit, especially in February.  ;-)

9. #9 / 17
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: For 70+ days? Must be nice!

Must be Canadian...

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

10. #10 / 17
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Just wondering, how many weeks of vacation do you get in the USA. We get 4 in Oz, so unless we take your holidays at exactly the same time each year, the 4 weeks that WarGear allows is not enough.

11. #11 / 17
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Standard in my area is about 2 weeks a year starting, plus 8 holidays (Christmas Day, Thanksgiving, etc.).

12. #12 / 17
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yep, 2 elective weeks a year plus 7 to 10 fixed holidays is very standard in the U.S.

I agree

13. #13 / 17
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Jeez, how do you survive? In Oz, 4 weeks a year is mandatory, plus 10 public holidays, and if you have been with the same company more than 10 years add between 1 and 2 weeks per year on top of that for "long service" leave. So, mix the public holidays into your annual leave, and you have 6 to 8 weeks per year depending on your time with the company. I'm basically going to have to sit out of WarGear for 6 months a year, because I've almost used half my vacation allowance already, and it's only January!!! 

Edited Sat 30th Jan 05:07 [history]

14. #14 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: Yep, 2 elective weeks a year plus 7 to 10 fixed holidays is very standard in the U.S.

And I'm in a commissioned sales/engineering job, and most of my partners are super go-getter. We technically get 10 days, but I haven't seen anyone use more than 5 in a year in the last 5 years. We also work through about half the 'public holidays'. And on some weekends. And usually 10+ hours a day.

15. #15 / 17
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    asm wrote: Yep, 2 elective weeks a year plus 7 to 10 fixed holidays is very standard in the U.S.

And I'm in a commissioned sales/engineering job, and most of my partners are super go-getter. We technically get 10 days, but I haven't seen anyone use more than 5 in a year in the last 5 years. We also work through about half the 'public holidays'. And on some weekends. And usually 10+ hours a day.

Hard to complain, though, actually, since I probably spend the equivalent of all that vacation sitting at my computer entertaining myself. And entertaining customers is definitely a reward in itself.

16. #16 / 17
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

2 weeks is usually the starting, most up it to 3 wks at 5 years. after 10-15 yrs you'll end up with 4-5 wks. haven't seen any with more than 6 weeks (and thats in the civil sector) and it takes 20 yrs to get that.

i got kinda lucky that the two places i've been since college both have from xmas eve to day after new years off for a big chunk of the holiday allowance (also get 1 for Memorial, Labor days, 2 for Independence and Thanksgiving days). tho this makes for a loooong time from new years to end of may!

and this most recent place starts with 3 weeks, but doesn't up till 4 until 10 yrs

Don't Taze Me Bro!
    Edited Sat 30th Jan 12:34 [history]

17. #17 / 17
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

entertaining customers is definitely a reward in itself.

Oh I bet it is.

I agree

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)