1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 30
    Standard Member Magpie
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/5194

Apparently a skipped turn results in losing the units received, but under the info tab green is listed as receiving 24 units this turn (he should get twelve).  If this is consistent across games it could warp player's calculations.  Just wondering if this was just a mistake in the display, or fluke from the game, or if anyone else had noticed this happening.

2. #2 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Since the Rule for Number of Reserves is Unlimited is it okay for a skipped turn to just dump them in the Reserve? My personal opinion would be that this is okay...at least quickly thinking about it that's what I come up with :P

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

3. #3 / 30
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep that's right Yertle - I thought that it was a little harsh to strip the units when skipping a turn if they could reasonably be added to reserves.

4. #4 / 30
    Standard Member Magpie
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

That could lead to situations where it is strategic to skip a turn in a deadlocked board with multiple players, is that something to encourage?

Edit:  If that is the policy, that should be referenced more explicitly in the help section.

Edited Fri 15th Jan 12:34 [history]

5. #5 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Magpie wrote: That could lead to situations where it is strategic to skip a turn in a deadlocked board with multiple players, is that something to encourage?

It's the same thing as taking your turn but not doing anything, meaning just leave them in Reserve and End your turn.

If Number of Reserves is set to 0 then they do get thrown out (or I assume the excess above the number allowed in Reserves get thrown out).

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

6. #6 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Magpie wrote:
    Edit:  If that is the policy, that should be referenced more explicitly in the help section.

I added "unless they can be placed in reserve" to the Help section.  Thanks!

What's Your Passion?

7. #7 / 30
    Standard Member Magpie
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    Magpie wrote: That could lead to situations where it is strategic to skip a turn in a deadlocked board with multiple players, is that something to encourage?

It's the same thing as taking your turn but not doing anything, meaning just leave them in Reserve and End your turn.

If Number of Reserves is set to 0 then they do get thrown out (or I assume the excess above the number allowed in Reserves get thrown out).

Oh right, sorry, I was confused as to what we were talking about.

8. #8 / 30
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The one strategic advantage to being skipped but keeping your reserves is that the other players may treat your territories as neutral since you now have the impending boot icon. In a three player game, that might cause the other two players to fight each other since the skipped player doesn't appear to be a threat. I've definitely been burned before when another player skips a turn, takes a turn, and then skips another turn.

9. #9 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure if that's a strategic advantage or poor playing by other players though (I do the same thing at times :P).

What's Your Passion?

10. #10 / 30
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think there can definitely be a strategic advantage to being able to keep armies in reserve when your turn skips. The natural inclination of other players would be to ignore the skipped player.

I saw this happen in a game where the player skipped his first turn, was left alone, and then used his doubled reinforcements on the 2nd turn to wail on everybody and basically walk to victory.

With no bonuses and not many units on the board, you appear weak. Many/most players wouldn't even take the reserve armies into account when assessing board state.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

11. #11 / 30
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I can't see enough of a difference to be worth a fix, or even if one is possible. If you have the reserve space then you have the option to not place any armies and pass your turn anyway.

If someone isn't taking reserve armies into account then they are unlikely to spot the difference between auto-skipped and purposely-skipped, if it's even possible. Does it show in the History Viewer? If not the only way to tell is by time.

Using the natural tendencies of your opponents is good stratergizing anyway. =]

903244_big.jpg

12. #12 / 30
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

The bomb icon next to the player's name indicates that their last turn was skipped. Purposefully delaying the game 2 days just to let your turn be skipped doesn't seem like a strategy that should be rewarded.

13. #13 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I do see Norseman's point, I don't think there should be any tactical advantage to be gained from leaving your turn to be skipped, also in a foggy game you potentially wouldn't be aware that the reserves had been retained. Overall I think reserve retention should be turned off based on this.

14. #14 / 30
    Standard Member Jigen
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I guess, I do not see getting the units you would have gotten anyway as a "reward." I was playing a lightning game, had to run an errand and missed my turn by 43 seconds. The only thing that kept me alive in that game was the fact that I got the same total amount of units. I agree that there shouldn't be a reward for getting skipped, but there shouldn't be a penalty either. Otherwise, we might as well boot on the first skip.

Photobucket

15. #15 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So if a player places the units, but then never makes a move nor finishes his turn and gets skipped, should those units be removed from the board?

What's Your Passion?

16. #16 / 30
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I do see Norseman's point, I don't think there should be any tactical advantage to be gained from leaving your turn to be skipped, also in a foggy game you potentially wouldn't be aware that the reserves had been retained. Overall I think reserve retention should be turned off based on this.

I'm with Yertle on this one.  I personally am happy to take advantage of someone who doesn't place their units.  If people don't assess board & reserves then they are not likely to perform as well as people who do.

Having your own turn skipped is the punishment for skipping your turn.  If someone's turn is skipped I'm going to assume their turn was skipped.  I'm not going to assume they have quit warfish, unless it is the first game they've played or they are being booted in other games.

Why do we have a bomb icon for people's turns being skipped exactly?

17. #17 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote:

Why do we have a bomb icon for people's turns being skipped exactly?

It's to let people (including the player) that their previous turn was skipped and if they get skipped again it results in a boot, so the bomb icon represent one skipped turn.

(Pssst, this is WarGear too :P)

What's Your Passion?

18. #18 / 30
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I would edit it if I could, I'm not used to not having editing at a future date ability on my posts. Is this another member-only function?

If the concern is that the masses are going to alter their playing based on a bomb graphic then take it away from the masses and make research required to see if there was an auto-skip.

19. #19 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Andernut wrote: I would edit it if I could, I'm not used to not having editing at a future date ability on my posts. Is this another member-only function?

I believe it's time related as to when you can edit (other forums I've been on have had a similar edit timer).

What's Your Passion?

20. #20 / 30
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

There's a 30 minute timeout - long enough to realise you made a mistake and to fix it but not so long that you can go back and change reality way back.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)