1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Standard Member westchester
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Hi everyone, I am new here.

I came here recommended by someone on another risk site. 

I would like to know while creating games, how can I change settings like: fortification options, card options, and rules in detail?

2. #2 / 12
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

You can't. 

When you create a game the only things you (usually) have control over are the number of players, time to take a turn, team game or not and the fog setting.

Board designers often create different scenarios where the settings on other things (like those you mentioned) are different.

3. #3 / 12
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

You can't. 

When you create a game the only things you (usually) have control over are the number of players, time to take a turn, team game or not and the fog setting.

Board designers often create different scenarios where the settings on other things (like those you mentioned) are different.

Although, it's usually just the fog option available, there may be some boards where those additional options have been 'enabled' to be modified by the game creator.  If they are available they will be under the "Additional Options" hotlink that's towards the bottom of the 'create game' page.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 12
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

You can also sometimes, with luck, put a request in with a boards creator, and they might make you the scenario your looking for. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

5. #5 / 12
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

You can't. 

Although, it's usually just the fog option available, there may be some boards where those additional options have been 'enabled' to be modified by the game creator.  If they are available they will be under the "Additional Options" hotlink that's towards the bottom of the 'create game' page.

is this true?  How do you turn on these things so players can modify them?  I think I've only seen boot policy & fog levels under the additional options.

6. #6 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

You can't. 

is this true?  How do you turn on these things so players can modify them?  I think I've only seen boot policy & fog levels under the additional options.

I think fog is pretty much all you get -- "Options" go way back when the site was fairly new, and it was probably thought that game creators would get more options over time.  But the way things have panned out, designers pretty much decide what all the "options" are, to the point where they can restrict everything including fog.  In the long run, I think this has turned out to be a good design for the site.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

7. #7 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    Ozyman wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    Amidon37 wrote:

You can't. 

I think fog is pretty much all you get -- "Options" go way back when the site was fairly new, and it was probably thought that game creators would get more options over time.  But the way things have panned out, designers pretty much decide what all the "options" are, to the point where they can restrict everything including fog.  In the long run, I think this has turned out to be a good design for the site.

ok then, just I was told this was a great site, but the other risk siteI came from has those options, but I will check other maps.

8. #8 / 12
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Also why do some games have capitals, and others are deathmatch if you cannot adjust that?

9. #9 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>ok then, just I was told this was a great site, but the other risk siteI came from has those options, but I will check other maps.

IMO - this is a great site.  I believe Tom's thinking was that it was too easy for players to change an option and make a map unplayable or not fun.  It was better to give that control to the designers who have a better understanding of how their maps will play.

If there is something in particular you are looking for (i.e. non-escalating card scale, more/less fortifies, etc.), post something in the forums and we'll help you find a map that has what you are looking for, or maybe a designer will step up and add a scenario to your liking.

10. #10 / 12
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

westchester wrote:

Also why do some games have capitals, and others are deathmatch if you cannot adjust that?

Not sure what you mean by deathmatch? You mean you have to eliminate a player from every territory to win?

It just depends on how the designer set it up.  For example 'Simple World'  has some scenarios that are 'last man standing' (i.e. deathmatch?).  And some scenarios with capitals.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Simple+World

When you create a game you pick the scenario, so you decide like that whether it has capitals or not.

Edited Tue 10th Dec 00:27 [history]

11. #11 / 12
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

>ok then, just I was told this was a great site, but the other risk siteI came from has those options, but I will check other maps.

IMO - this is a great site.  I believe Tom's thinking was that it was too easy for players to change an option and make a map unplayable or not fun.  It was better to give that control to the designers who have a better understanding of how their maps will play.

If there is something in particular you are looking for (i.e. non-escalating card scale, more/less fortifies, etc.), post something in the forums and we'll help you find a map that has what you are looking for, or maybe a designer will step up and add a scenario to your liking.

Great answer O, The above response pretty much says it all.  Most designers put a lot of thought into making sure that each scenario is balanced, or that the lack of fog restrictions keep the board fair.

@westchester, if you take the time to peruse the range of boards, and note the way designers are able to 'bend' the rules for each board, you'll find that this is much more than a risk site, and that often the perceived lack of a feature here or there can often be seen as part of the scaffolding of a much more powerful feature set.

The wizard behind the curtain (Tom) encourages us to 'ideate' and debate on these forums, and as a result, many if not most of the ideas for the features and even layout for this site come from its membership.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Tue 10th Dec 06:58 [history]

12. #12 / 12
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

From a designer's standpoint I love the fact that all of the options are locked down.  Changing any of the options on the Frontierland Shooting Gallery would make it unplayable.  Having designer control allows us to expand beyond basic Risk and stretch the boundaries of play.  However, if you see a way that any of my boards would play better, please let me know and I would be happy to create a scenario to test it.

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)