221 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #41 / 102
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, I tried to edit the front page, and now I see similar errors on that page, although my revisions seem to have stuck.

2. #42 / 102
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

only for you. all i get is red text box errors

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Thu 8th Aug 15:09 [history]

3. #43 / 102
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

More permissions problems which should now be fixed, sorry!

4. #44 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

no worries.  I figured their would be some initial problems.  Thanks for getting this going so quickly!

5. #45 / 102
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I would be happy to be included as a crash test dummy - I bet I know exactly enough about editing the mark-up language to get myself in all kinds of trouble (i.e., very little).

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

6. #46 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

..so there's a complete boards list with no boards - does tom populate that?  ..or do we make our own?  Can we have a wiki about how to use the wiki - protocols and such..

I have a bazillion questions.. What is sidebar and namespace?  can I break them.. or shouldn't I be touching them?{#emotions_dlg.cylon}

7. #47 / 102
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:sidebar

Trying to add a sidebar page now.

Edited Thu 8th Aug 17:38 [history]

8. #48 / 102
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK it's here: http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=sidebar

Makes sense to have this to organise the sections similar to the pages under the Dokuwiki docs: https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:sidebar

Edited Thu 8th Aug 17:41 [history]

9. #49 / 102
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Wow! I go on vacation for a couple of weeks and I come back to a wargear wiki! Very cool, and great idea Ozy and a million thumbs up to Tom for implementing it so quickly. I'm not wiki-savvy, but I will try to contribute as I can.

10. #50 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

..so there's a complete boards list with no boards - does tom populate that?  ..or do we make our own?  Can we have a wiki about how to use the wiki - protocols and such..

I have a bazillion questions.. What is sidebar and namespace?  can I break them.. or shouldn't I be touching them?{#emotions_dlg.cylon}

I think we will need to populate it.  We may be able to figure out a way to create the pages & fill them automatically, but I'm not entirely sure yet.  I assume each map maker will be in charge of their own pages, and then maybe once we have the hang of it, we can fill in the missing pages without too much work.

For new maps, maybe creating a default page on the wiki for the board should be part of the review process (i.e. boards can't pass review until they have at least a skeleton page on the wiki)

I also found this:

https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespace_templates

I've just started looking at it, but I think having a template for board pages would make sense.  That way every board page would have the same basic structure.

11. #51 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I still don't know what a sidebar is and what it is used for... And do we create our own board pages or does tom create them?

I'm basically afraid to touch anything.. (That's probably a good thing at this point).

Edited Thu 8th Aug 18:47 [history]

12. #52 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Looks easy enough to create a namespace just for the boards:

https://www.dokuwiki.org/namespaces

it would require a small amount of work for Tom to help us setup a template for the boards, and then I think it acts as a default new page when you create a wiki page for the board.

If we want to have a board template, we should probably create a few board pages by hand to figure out what sections we want, etc.  and then once we are fairly confident we have a good template, we can have Tom do the steps that are necessary for him to do.

13. #53 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

I added this page to the wiki:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki_usage

To have a place where we can give best practices on using the wiki.  

The sidebar is the thing to the left of the main page on the wiki.  It's kind of like a table-of-contents for the whole wiki.  It's a navigation tool that doesn't change regardless of what page of the wiki you are on.

Namespaces are ways to divide the wiki.  Right now if someone create a wiki page about a new  map called 'factories', then we can't have a page on the wiki called 'factories' to describe how factories work.   If we separate the boards into their own namespace, than we can don't have to worry about name collisions between boards and other pages on the wiki.  Plus it looks like we can create a template for new pages within a namespace, so that when a new board wiki page is created it will have some structure already filled in.

14. #54 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

And do we create our own board pages or does tom create them?

I'm basically afraid to touch anything.. (That's probably a good thing at this point).

I think we'll need to create our own board pages by hand.

Don't be too worried about touching anything.  Wiki's generally track all the changes, and allow us to revert to previous versions of the page if someone breaks something.

For now I would say, be aggressive and edit it mercilessly, and then as it starts to take form, we can have discussions about how it should be organized so that we don't get into edit wars.

15. #55 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

could you put in a page for one of my boards so I see where it goes? - and then I'll try to put in a different one... thanks

16. #56 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

OK - I give up - how did you do it?

How do you add a page?

Edited Thu 8th Aug 19:09 [history]

17. #57 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

K - I think I just made the page and put it in the right place - Please include me in the managers group.

18. #58 / 102
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah - I'm already confused about organizing - the sitemap page looks like it's going to be a million lines long - It needs more folders  - Is this where namespace comes in?

I still have no clue what a sidebar is.   I see a way to edit 'the' sidebar page - but I can make a page called 'sidesidebar' and edit that too. 

Can we create a page for dialog RE: how does this work?  or is that whet the wiki_Usage page is for?  ..or the start page? or something different?

19. #59 / 102
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Yeah - I'm already confused about organizing - the sitemap page looks like it's going to be a million lines long - It needs more folders  - Is this where namespace comes in?

I still have no clue what a sidebar is.   I see a way to edit 'the' sidebar page - but I can make a page called 'sidesidebar' and edit that too. 

Can we create a page for dialog RE: how does this work?  or is that whet the wiki_Usage page is for?  ..or the start page? or something different?

I think the sitemap might get really long, but you should only rarely be using the sitemap to find something on the wiki.  The pages should be well organized with links so that you can find stuff you want without resorting to the sitemap.  I dunno if namespaces will help organize the sitemap.  I'll try a Boards namespace tonight and see how it looks.

Did you not understand my post about sidebars?:

>The sidebar is the thing to the left of the main page on the wiki.  It's kind of like a table-of-contents for the whole wiki.  It's a navigation tool that doesn't change regardless of what page of the wiki you are on.

To edit the sidebar you just go to that page that Tom linked.  I don't know if it was in the configuration that he set that, or that is just the default name or what.  If you make a page called sidesidebar and edit that it'll just be a page called sidesidebar, it won't get used as the sidebar.

>Can we create a page for dialog RE: how does this work?  or is that whet the wiki_Usage page is for?  ..or the start page? or something different?

We could have a page on the wiki for dialog about how it works, but I figured that was what this thread was for.  As we come up with best practices for the wiki, we can add that to the wiki usage page.

20. #60 / 102
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Will there eventually be a link to the Wiki on the main site, maybe up where the tabs or other quick links are?

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)