218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 10
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm putting this in the Strategy and Tactics thread because that's what is needed here.  I've played a few games on both sides and I have some confidence in the balance but not enough.  Please play some games and let me know here what you are thinking about the balance and if you think both sides have a chance to win.  Team games like this are really hard for me because I don't usually care about balance as much as other map makers do and here that is crucial.  People who are familiar with this map from ToS, please share your strategy thoughts.  Post any thoughts on the balance here and if you find any design issues either write on my wall or Message Me.

Thank you in advance for your testing.

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/3833

If wars were won by arithmetic
    We'd be ruled by the mathematicians

2. #2 / 10
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I've played games as both the Zombies and Survivors and I still don't know if both have an equal (or near equal) chance of winning.  Anybody have any opinions?  Before I put it to review I will fix the porch to make the territories more clear to where they attack.

3. #3 / 10
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I'm only partway through my first game and I didn't really start knowing what I was doing.

I do like the map quite a bit though -

4. #4 / 10
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

In the game we're playing (which has restarted 3 or 4 times because of changes to the board), maybe we're just gelling a team, but I think that the Survivors have an advantage.  Sure, you (Risky) have made runs into us, but I never felt like we were in danger of losing the upper hand.

5. #5 / 10
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

as a counter point, both games i'm in the survivors are going to have to pull something out of a dark place in order to get a win. i was elim'd in the first turn on one and with the barn about to be freed defended by a row of 10s....

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 10
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

weathertop, I consider being pulled out by the Barn Zombies a WIN for what I wanted from the map.  I would really LURVE for that to be a check mate sort of thing.

Boris, the games we've played have gone either way with the starts so that's an issue because of the restarts.

I guess in a game like this the Zombies should have the advantage but lose that if the Survivors play as a team.  That's what makes this map such a bitch to plan for...I want balance, but I really don't want balance.

I'm fine with reviews that say "You suck Zombie Balls" as long as they are followed by "OMG!".  I didn't create this map and so I know both reviews are true, I just want WG to have the best version possible (granted my limited design abilities).  Really, I think it's pretty good as is, but I'm not sure.

Play! Play! Play!

P.S.  I want to recreate Chimps in Space Now so it's up to you all to work on the balance on this one.

7. #7 / 10
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

It seems to me that a good Zombie player should be able to force a win against a perfect survivor game.. that being said, I haven't played a game yet where everyone played correctly.  Will continue testing.

*Edit: Looks like we can no longer start games on the board?

Edited Tue 9th Oct 16:24 [history]

8. #8 / 10
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

BD, it is in Review right now.  I've changed the Zombie placement a little and gave Yellow 5 in the living room and 2 in the dining room.  I'm trying to avoid the early elimination of the yellow player.  Right now the Review game we're playing is getting interesting so I don't want to restart with the changes because I want to see if we can pull it off.

9. #9 / 10
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'll second what BD and WT have said about the survivor disadvantage.  I haven't played as Zombies yet but in both games as Survivors, it seems near impossible to prevent Zombies from breaking through 1st turn.

The Yellow player has to make a choice whether to defend the deck or go for a Living Room bonus.  This choice essentially means Yellow cannot hold the bonus and therefore only gets +3 the following turn which is not near enough to foil any zombie plans.

My initial thought is that it's too difficult for the Survivors to recover once they're down.  If Survivors don't play perfectly and also get favorable dice, game is over within 3 turns.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

10. #10 / 10
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I still haven't lost as zombies, but I feel like in the game I played since the final version came out that it was a bit more of a challenge.  Please invite me to games.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)