222 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 28
    Standard Member CeilingCat
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Is there something about the dice on this site that I should know about?  The losses I get in games is nothing short of ridiculous and it seems to occur across games.  

I played on the Warfish site and my stats where nothing like they are here so I doubt it is just lack of ability.  

I am thinking of packing up as this is not fun.  The skew caused by the dice is just too much to work around and it is not fun playing against the dice as well as the opponent.

2. #2 / 28
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I just looked at your last 20 finished games.  Off-hand, I'd say your luck stats are close to even, and certainly not anywhere near being a statistical outlier.  I also noticed that you lost a few of those games even though the dice were favorable.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/165440

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/164803

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/164424

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 28
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I feel your pain Ceiling Cat, as do many dicers who feel at times that lady luck is determined to drag us into the maw us depair.  I have been keeping track of over 800 1v1 Wargear Warfare games as you can see at this link http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2173/Luck_Cumulative_Chart_Wargear_Warfare_1_v_1_games_SquintGnome

I have been running at a large negative luck value for a while as you can see, but recently my luck had trended back up to even (not shown on this graph).  So, I can tell you that I dont think the dice are biased and that your luck will come back eventually.  Keep plugging away!

4. #4 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Also, I looked at the WarGear warfare game M posted above.  In this case Ceilings's opponent was lucky early in the game and then Ceiling's luck came back...in many cases the early luck is more important than the late luck since your opponent opens up too much of a lead.

And Ceiling, in that game you were attacking neutrals instead of your opponents.  That is often not a good idea usually unless you need 1 territory to gain a continent.

5. #5 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

Also, I looked at the WarGear warfare game M posted above.  In this case Ceilings's opponent was lucky early in the game and then Ceiling's luck came back...in many cases the early luck is more important than the late luck since your opponent opens up too much of a lead.

And Ceiling, in that game you were attacking neutrals instead of your opponents.  That is often not a good idea usually unless you need 1 territory to gain a continent.

Yeah - I noticed both of those things as well.  Of course, we can nitpick the stats 'till the cows come home, but every time I check on the games of someone who suspects a problem, the n;umbers just don't fall far from the expected.  In fact, I'd be more inclined to wonder if the dice on this site are running on the flat side.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

6. #6 / 28
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

how could their even be a bad luck bias to dice?  There are no AI, so bad luck for some player is good luck for some other player.

7. #7 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

how could their even be a bad luck bias to dice?  There are no AI, so bad luck for some player is good luck for some other player.

I wonder that there's a natural ego-centric tendency for us human-types to think that somehow the algorithm responsible for "throwing" the dice is differentiating for whom it's throwing.  I agree that even if there is some kind of bias, there's no reason that it wouldn't be applied evenly to all.  Net:neutral

8. #8 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I do not think that the random generator for Wargear works this way, but in the past some random generators would 'seed' their program using something on the local users computer like a time stamp,etc.  In cases like this some quirknesses on local computers could influence the outcome of the random number generator.  So, for instance, someone's local computer could have increased the tendency of the generator to create 1's on rolls which would give back luck only to that user on that computer.  I am sure others know more than me on the subject so they can chime in.

9. #9 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Tom - tell me it's not so!

10. #10 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Don't get all excited, this was years ago, and the pseudo random generators are much better, I was just giving an example how luck could be biased and not end up evening out.

11. #11 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

PNRGs can still usually be seeded in some way.   This is invaluable in debugging.  As you can imagine if you have some program that behaves randomly every time it can be very hard to figure out where your bugs are.  By being able to seed to the same value and then having the exact same 'random' behavior each time, it makes it easier to debug.  Most PNRGs use some aspect of the system clock to seed.  I imagine that wargear uses the system clock on the server it runs on.  It would make no sense to use something on the client to seed.

12. #12 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Agreed, I was referring more to the games being played before internet gaming sites became popular.  Initially, you would play remotely through dial up connections.  In some cases, the games were set up where each player would 'roll' on their own computers and then the results were compared.  Hence each would use a seed from their own computer's system clock.  Today things are much different.

13. #13 / 28
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

oh yeah.  Sorry, I meant to say that 'In modern times' it would make no sense to seed on the client.  I'm sure in the bad old days that made more sense.  Especially some games were peer to peer and their was no server.

14. #14 / 28
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Well, back in my day the client not only had to roll the dice, but also move the pieces. As I recall, the server usually provided the seed, which was usually something like potato chips and soda, and the entire network was self-contained, but wireless. I'll bet the dice were as true as the best contemporary algorithms out there.

15. #15 / 28
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I remembered this has been discussed before so dug up the thread:

http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/167p1/Ive_seen_enoughthe_RandomLuck_Talk

Enjoy :)

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

16. #16 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Check out the dice on this nice 0-16 run:

http://www.wargear.net/games/player/176731

17. #17 / 28
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Here's another:

www.wargear.net/games/player/183620

In The Lorax, playing The Lorax, rolling 0-12 on turn1, then finally getting the Spade on turn 3 while going 3-6 on turns 2&3 (3-18 total).

18. #18 / 28
    Standard Member itsnotatumor
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

How come no one ever complains when the dice are unfairly favoring them...

19. #19 / 28
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm pulling a -26 luck last I looked in one of my games.  I didn't take a territory for 3 turns solid. Worst luck I've seen yet, and it was extra hurtful cause the other players were pissed I wasn't checking the guy in the lead.  Sometimes there is just nothing you can do. 

"I shall pass this but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not difer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

20. #20 / 28
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

itsnotatumor wrote:

How come no one ever complains when the dice are unfairly favoring them...

I was tempted to post here about a 14-0 run I had the other day. It was nice. I had good, timely rolling today too. 

Seems like there's a psychological asymmetry though: I smile upon good rolling, but I don't enjoy good rolling as intensely as I curse bad rolling.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)