229 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member Gamester
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Is there any way to return to placement when no attacks have occurred?  I accidentally hit the attack button rather than the placement button and now there doesn't seem to be any way even though I haven't done anything other that hit the attack button stranding the units in reserve.  I know that if you hit the Fortify button, you can go back to attack if you haven't yet done any fortifies so why can't you go back to placement if you haven't done any attacks?    If it is not possible, I would like it added as a new feature please.   In the mean time, in game 127928 is there any way to back it off to the beginning of my turn?  We are at a critical juncture (I know, I'm at critical junctures for most of the game) and it would really be appreciated.  thanks, Gamester.

2. #2 / 16
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Agreed , but it's already on the new feature request list : http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1757/Playing_Turnplacement_of_armies

Two Eyes for An Eye, The Jaw for A Tooth

3. #3 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I put you back into Placement phase for that game.

4. #4 / 16
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

So - I'm considering changing the default behavior in the new Player so that if you click on 'Attack' after placing units but without clicking on 'Apply' it automatically places the units for you.

What are your thoughts on this?

5. #5 / 16
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think it should be possible to go back to placement as long as you did not start a single attack, even if you have hit the Attack button. If you did not hit 'Apply', I don't think it should be placed automatically. Instead you should have to confirm to prevent units to be placed in reserve (when that is possible).

6. #6 / 16
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

But would confirmation message be too annoying?

7. #7 / 16
    Standard Member Toto
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I don't think so because it will happen very very unoften. The title of the thread mentionned "accidentally" for example.

8. #8 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If there was a designer feature that allowed for some kind of automated action (like post-placement factory production), then there would be reason to not allow it.  But as it stands, I can't think of any reason that return to placement shouldn't be allowed if no "action" has been taken while in Attack ..or even Fortify mode, even if Return to Attack is disallowed. Factories and standard continental bonuses are applied pre-placement so that's not an issue, and there should be no need for messages.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

9. #9 / 16
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ok there's two separate parts to this - I agree that switching from Place to Attack phase (or to any other phase) should be reversable as long as no attacks have been made.

The question is whether when switching from Place to Attack, should the Player automatically place the units in the placement phase (to prevent player's accidentally leaving them in reserve on boards where reserve units are allowed).

10. #10 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

The question is whether when switching from Place to Attack, should the Player automatically place the units in the placement phase (to prevent player's accidentally leaving them in reserve on boards where reserve units are allowed).

• If reserve units are allowed, then it's reasonable to assume that the player wants unplaced units to be left in reserve.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a "Are you sure you want to leave 7 units in reserve?" pop-up message.

• If reserve units are not allowed, then the Attack, Fortify and End Turn Buttons shouldn't work until all units are placed.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Sun 19th Feb 10:00 [history]

11. #11 / 16
    Standard Member Gamester
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thanks Tom!  You really are the reason we're playing here.  Now just one more thing, I'm still losing in that game so if you could remove the other 4 opponents it would really make my day. 

12. #12 / 16
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I think the Apply button is an unnecessary step.

When "Place" is highlighted you are placing.

When you are done placing you click on "attack"' (which isn't available until you have everything placed (unless reserves are allowed))  Until you have actually taken an attack "Place" is still highlighted and you can go back and change things.  When an attack is taken then the units placed are locked in.

A warning pop-up about leaving units may be a good idea for new players - but have it so it can be turned off.  Similar to the "you can turn in cards" pop-up.

13. #13 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1 Amidon37

As long as you can go back to place, there is no reason to hit apply & one less click is always nice.

14. #14 / 16
    Standard Member Gamester
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I can't believe I did it again but yes, in game http://www.wargear.net/games/player/134524

Is it possible for you to do a rewind again.

Thanks, Gamester.

15. #15 / 16
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Fixed. The new player has a warning message to help prevent this from happening. 

16. #16 / 16
    Standard Member Gamester
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Thanks again.  Since I'll probably be the first to run into this new warning message :->, I'll let you know how it works.  That's really great.  Gamester.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)