223 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 15
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I am looking into an Axis and Allies board that plays like the board game.  I want to be able to place new units in only select territories.  Can I do that with factories or do factories only automatically generate units. 

Part two, if I can do what I want with factories, can you allow a player to create new factories during the game?

2. #2 / 15
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

I am looking into an Axis and Allies board that plays like the board game.  I want to be able to place new units in only select territories.  Can I do that with factories or do factories only automatically generate units. 

Part two, if I can do what I want with factories, can you allow a player to create new factories during the game?

You should be able to do what you want to do with factories.  

Each factory is tied to a continent.  See http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/2054/New_settings_for_Universal_Factories_-_exclude__include_Neutrals for a good explanation of different kinds of factories.

For what I believe you're trying to do (create IPC-like bonuses that are only placed on factory territories), you would need to setup each continent and tie it to the relevant factory.

For example, you can setup a continent to consist of US1 and US2 (territories).  This continent can create as many bonus units as you want, but let's say it provides 10 bonus.  With the continent setup, link this continent to territory US 3 as a factory.  Each turn you own US1 and US2, there will be 10 units placed in US3.  Various factory settings allow you to determine if US3 needs to be owned by whoever owns US1 and US2 or if bonus units can be put there regardless of who owns US3.

Part two might be a bit trickier depending on what you want to do.  As long as your continents are setup correctly, it shouldn't matter who owns it at the start of the game.  If the continent gets conquered by another player, then the units will still be produced on the factory.

PM me if you want me to take a look at your board and suggest anything more specific.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

3. #3 / 15
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Attila,

I think what you describe is not what I would want.  Let's suppose UK has one factory only in England which has a value of 8, but all of their territories value 20.  I want all 20 units to be able to be placed only in England.

4. #4 / 15
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You would set it up like this:

Continent 1 would be "England" and bonus value would be 8 units.  Factory for continent 1 would also be England.  Each turn UK owns England, 8 units would be placed in England.

Continent 2 would be "UK 1" and bonus value would be some portion of 20. Factory for continent 2 would be England.  Each turn UK owns England, 8 units would be placed in England, and an additional unit from continent 2 would be placed in England as well. 

Repeat for as many bonuses as you want to be attributed to England.

Does this make sense?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 15
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

Thanks Attila,

I think what you describe is not what I would want.  Let's suppose UK has one factory only in England which has a value of 8, but all of their territories value 20.  I want all 20 units to be able to be placed only in England.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but If England is set up as a continent that places 8 armies on itself (as a factory), then control of the remaining territories of the UK could be linked to England (again as a factory) worth 12 armies.  In this way, controlling England as well as all of the other territories in the UK would result in 20 armies being place on England.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 15th Feb 20:02 [history]

6. #6 / 15
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I think there may be some confusion between factories, the WG tool, and factories, a piece in the AnA board game. I think SG is talking about the latter. The way to accomplish that on a WG board is to disable unit placement on all territories except those designated with a "factory".

One problem that I see - in the AnA board game, you can purchase additional factories. Not sure how that could be done on WG.

7. #7 / 15
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

It still think that can be done using WG factories.

If the board bonuses are only based on continents tied to factories then there are no excess units the player could place anywhere.  Even if they could, those territories could be designated Barren with placement disabled. Am I missing something?

8. #8 / 15
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Now that I know it is possible I guess a good first step is to disable unit placement for all territories except those with 'factories'.  As CK mentions, I mean factories in the A&A board sense, not the WG sense.  As a learn more, I may consider using WG factories.

9. #9 / 15
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good luck SG, looks like it could get complicated.

10. #10 / 15
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a Factory Hordes! map and what I want is for the Hordes! bonus to apply to the nearest factory.  I understand there is no automatic way to do this, which is fine, but I also want the same bonus to apply to multiple factories in some places.  Is that possible at all?

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

11. #11 / 15
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Oh Wait, I can just make the same bonus twice but allocated to different factories.  Since you have to have the factory for the bonus it will mimic what I want!  I love bending the rules to do my bidding!

To you N00bs out there, on ToS we always had to get around the limitations because the site wasn't supported.  This is like Old Skool map making!

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

12. #12 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

I'm working on a Factory Hordes! map and what I want is for the Hordes! bonus to apply to the nearest factory.  I understand there is no automatic way to do this, which is fine, but I also want the same bonus to apply to multiple factories in some places.  Is that possible at all?

If I understand correctly, I see no reason you couldn't do this.  Think of the way a group of surrounding territories is grouped as a continent to feed the surrounded territory (the factory) in Anarchy.  To make the same group apply to more than one, you simply have to make a new "continent/factory"

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.

13. #13 / 15
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You're all thinking about the problem the wrong way. For what Squint Gnome wants to do with AnA, he doesn't need (WarGear) factories at all. Use the standard continent bonuses, and just set all the non-(AnA)factories (e.g. UK, Moscow, Eastern US, etc.) to "unit placement disabled". That way, the units produced by all the standard continents can only be placed on factory territories.

I'm sure you could come up with a way to "purchase" additional factories for other territories as well (for example, by putting a separate (AnA) "factory" space in each normal territory that starts with some neutrals on it and has placement enabled.

14. #14 / 15
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Kjeld wrote:

You're all thinking about the problem the wrong way. For what Squint Gnome wants to do with AnA,..

Actually, I was trying to answer Risky's question, though I think he figured it out before I posted.

Edited Wed 14th Mar 06:43 [history]

15. #15 / 15
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

@Kjeld - yes, that is what I am doing now with my dev board, all territories have placement disabled except those with 'industrial complexes'.  I like the idea of making neutrals having placement to allow the addition of more industrial complexes. thx

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)