1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 23
    Standard Member Ian James
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Hello everyone, first time here.  I was thinking the other day that I was never happy with the Risk board; things like the shape of  Ukraine, and with China having a population 5000 times larger than Iceland.  I thought I'd search to see if anyone had tried making changes and came across this website.

I've browsed the very interesting boards on this site - I particularly like the World reversed - but they seem to have different numbers of territories or hugely different topology.  I was thinking of keeping the Earth, 42 territories and 6 continents, but just altering some borders/shapes/names and using population and land area statistics to balance the globe better.  It will be subjective - lots of the USA was uninhabitable centuries ago but is now well populated, and Siberia may be more populated in future centuries...

So, just to check if anyone has any ideas or has already seen any work on this?

2. #2 / 23
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

3. #3 / 23
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

So that reply was only tangentially related and not especially helpful, but your question reminded me of it; and I thought I would share the laugh.

In your Face!

4. #4 / 23
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ian James wrote:

Hello everyone, first time here.  I was thinking the other day that I was never happy with the Risk board; things like the shape of  Ukraine, and with China having a population 5000 times larger than Iceland.  I thought I'd search to see if anyone had tried making changes and came across this website.

I've browsed the very interesting boards on this site - I particularly like the World reversed - but they seem to have different numbers of territories or hugely different topology.  I was thinking of keeping the Earth, 42 territories and 6 continents, but just altering some borders/shapes/names and using population and land area statistics to balance the globe better.  It will be subjective - lots of the USA was uninhabitable centuries ago but is now well populated, and Siberia may be more populated in future centuries...

So, just to check if anyone has any ideas or has already seen any work on this?

@ Cramchackle: Too funny!

@Ian: Your idea sounds like a cool concept and a different twist on the standard risk map.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #5 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I've enjoyed looking at cartograms and have seen a few that would make nice maps -

From Wikipedia -

A cartogram is a map in which some thematic mapping variable – such as travel time or Gross National Product â€“ is substituted for land area or distance. The geometry or space of the map is distorted in order to convey the information of this alternate variable. There are two main types of cartograms: area and distance cartograms.

6. #6 / 23
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

www.worldmapper.org

"In Spring 2000 world population estimates reached 6 billion; that is 6
    thousand million. The distribution of the earth's population is shown in this
    map"

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus
    Edited Mon 13th Feb 11:50 [history]

7. #7 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Thanks All!  Cramchackle - lots of smiles for me in there.  Although I like Isaac Asimov and buy Organic?!  And I'll have to go an read up on the difference between Gall Peters and Hobo Dyer.

That population map is amazing.  Mongolia has vanished!

As you might guess from my tardy reply it may be several weeks before I have something to post.

8. #8 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Change of plan - I've designed a Risk map with 42 territories of roughly equal population.  I took longer over this than I planned so it may well be months before I do a land area version, if at all!

I made them all between 5/4 and 4/5 of the average population size of 164,188, so they are all between 200,000 and 130,000.  This meant splitting China, India, USA and Indonesia (and I split Canada too), which I did using their highest level of administrative divisions.  China and India comprise 8 territories each!

Country populations are at 1 July 2010 from "Total Population - Both Sexes" at http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/Excel-Data/population.htm. ; Division populations are from Wikipedia and scaled to match the UN country populations.

All comments welcome!  Here we go - my names, population in thousands, and specification:

Brazil            194,946   
    South America        197,608   
    Central America        197,527    includes Caribbean
    Pacific to Lakes    182,437    West, Midwest, OK, AK, TN, KY, WV; Ontario westwards
    Atlantic North America    162,092    VT, PE, coast from ME to LA; QC, NL, NB, NS, PE
    Atlantic Europe        186,800    Iceland, UK, Eire, coast from Monaco to Portugal
    North Europe        190,101    Belarus, Luxembourg, Scandinavia, coast from Estonia to Belgium
    Russia            142,958   
    Black Sea        150,754    Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine
    South Europe        140,337    All bordering Albania, Bosnia or Austria except Germany
    North Africa        165,907    Coast from Western Sahara to Egypt
    Western Africa        145,838    All bordering Burkina Faso, Senegal or Guinea
    Nigeria            158,423   
    Central Africa        139,778    Chad, Central African Republic, Zambia, coast from Cameroon to Angola
    Southern Africa        132,528    Malawi, Madagascar, all bordering South Africa
    Great African Lakes    137,785    Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania
    East Africa        141,975    South Sudan, coast from Sudan to Somalia
    Arabia            146,963    Cyprus, all bordering Saudi or Lebanon
    Central Asia        178,391    All bordering Uzbekistan or Azerbaijan
    Pakistan        173,593   
    North India        168,410    Delhi, Himachal, the border from Rajasthan to Uttarkhand
    Uttar Pradesh        197,843   
    Narmada            134,213    Gujarat and Madhya
    Maharastra and Karnataka178,238    includes Goa
    Tamil and Kerala    134,600    Sri Lanka, Maldives, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and Kerala
    Andhra and Mahanadi    159,334    Andhra, Chhattisgarh and Orissa
    Bihar and Nepal        160,838    Includes Jharkhand
    Bhutan and East India 143,000    Bhutan; Sikkim, all bordering Assam
    Bangladesh        148,692   
    West China        157,818    Xinjiang, Qinghai, Tibet, Sichuan and Yunnan
    Mongolia and North China169,910    Mongolia; Gansu, Ningxia Hui, all bordering Jilin
    Japan and Korea        199,066   
    Hebei            178,566    Includes Shaanxi, Shanxi, Beijing, Tianjin
    Shandong and Henan    191,017   
    Lower Yangtze        162,198    Shanghai, Jiangsu, Anhui
    South East China    160,034    Jiangxi, Fujian, Zhejiang and Taipei
    Guangdong and Hunan    187,449    Includes Hong Kong, Macau and Hainan
    South Central China    167,912    Hubei, Chongqing, Guizhou and Guangxi
    SE Asia            177,310    Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia
    Andaman Sea        131,814    Sumatra; Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Myanmar
    Java            142,302   
    Pacific Islands        178,583    Rest of Indonesia; Oceania, Philippines, East Timor

9. #9 / 23
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I want to see what this looks like.  Do you have the images done?

10. #10 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Hi Ozyman, no not yet - not sure how to, I guess I'll get google maps and try and draw over the country boundaries

11. #11 / 23
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Ian, I have been trying to do the same thing with a board in development, but I was trying to do it with canada. (I noticed a distinct lack of canadian maps - can't have that) 

It's super interesting because there is a vast empty space in canada that nobody lives in (or like <0.01 person per square K) and a very small space that 30 million people live in... so the question was, how to simulate huge open spaces?  I did it some with unit limits, and some with small numerous territories for the places with lots of people.  I also gave more unit bonus for places that were densely populated.

Trying to get the gameplay feeling for what you describing.  What I'm finding though, is that "gamplay is like playing catch with spaghetti" to quote Yertle.  It's not very balanced, and has a weird strategic element. 

So, from a fellow trying to develop his first board in the same way, think about the strategy that will make your map fun to play, and trust me on this one, your probably going to have to sacrifice some accuracy to do it. 

Sweet world divisions though... I really dig the idea, and am excited to see how it turns out. 

12. #12 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Thanks ratsy,

yes, to begin with I split Canada (I didn't want to lump it in with West and Midwest US and have one territory touching both Russia and Europe); but later on I ended up being very mathematical and forgetting about gameplay.  So rather than a practical board my result is "Wow - people say England is crowded - wait until you see Java and Uttar Pradesh"

13. #13 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Labelled.png

14. #14 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Labelled.png

15. #15 / 23
    Standard Member smoke
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

These are great. I had no idea Nigeria was so big -- 162M

16. #16 / 23
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

the smaller the size on this the more populus, right? the bigger the more sparse?

ah Bangladesh. it's all about perspective. the entire population of the US living in the space of Iowa.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

17. #17 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Cheers smoke.  Spot on weathertop - so Russia's the sparsest, mainly because half its population live in 10% of the land (Volga and Central districts).

Right, here we go with 42 territories based upon land area.  I tried to make them all within 20% of the average territory size, so between 2.50 and 3.75 million square kilometres, but the last one is slightly too small.  I've often used names of rivers or mountains where territories straddle countries.  Country data are from World Bank and exclude lakes.  Where I've had to split countries into territories (Russia, Canada, USA, Brazil, Indonesia, Australia, China) I've used Wikipedia data weighted to match World Bank country totals.

My name, million sq km, and specification:

Tasman Sea    3.12    New Zealand; Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania
    Australian Bight    3.45    Western and South Australia
    Banda Sea    3.44    Northern Territory; Philippines; Indonesia excluding Borneo
    SE Asia    2.95    Coast from Bangladesh to Vietnam; Borneo, Laos and Philippines
    India    3.22    Includes Nepal and Bhutan
    Kush-Zagros    3.70    All bordering Iran except Turkey and Iraq, plus Georgia
    Arabia    3.62    All bordering Saudi Arabia
    Kazakhstan    3.46    Includes Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan
    Xinjiang and Tibet    2.79   
    Yangtze-Pearl    3.26    Qinghai, Sichuan, Yunnan, Taipei, all bordering Zhejiang and Hunan
    Huang-Liau    3.27    Nei Mongol and Hebei and bordering provinces
    NW Pacific    3.22    Federal subjects from Chukotka to Primorsky; Japan and both Koreas
    Yakutia    2.98   
    Altai-Transbaikal    3.22    Mongolia, Altai Republic and Russian federal subjects bordering them
    Yenisei    2.98    Krasnoyarsk and Irkutsk
    Ural    3.32    Volga and Ural federal districts, Tomsk, Omsk and Novosibirsk
    Western Russia    2.80    Northwestern, Central, Southern and North Caucasian federal districts
    Northeast Europe    3.38    All bordering Baltic Sea, Ukraine and Germany except France & Russia
    North Atlantic    2.58    Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, UK
    Mediterranean    2.91    Coast from Portugal to Israel, Serbia, Bulgaria
    Nile    3.37    Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan
    East Africa    3.46    All bordering Ethiopia and Rwanda except both Sudans and Congo
    Zambezi    3.46    Angola, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Madagascar
    Kalahari    3.04    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland
    Congo    3.23    Both Congos and Central African Republic
    Gulf of Guinea    3.30    Coast from Gambia to Gabon plus Burkina Faso
    Libya and Chad    3.02   
    Western Sahel    3.52    Mauritania, Mali, Niger
    Maghreb    2.98    Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia
    Atlantic North America    2.92    Coast from Newfoundland to Florida
    Nunavut    3.01    Includes Northwest Territories
    Yukon    3.01    Alaska, Yukon, British Colombia
    Central Canada    2.61    Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario
    Mississippi basin    3.68    TX OK KS NB SD ND MN WI MI OH WV KY TN AL MS LS AK MI IA IL IN
    Western USA    3.02    All states bordering Idaho or Arizona
    Caribbean    2.66    Both coasts from Mexico to Panama, Caribbean
    Equatorial America    2.61    Coast from French Guyana to Ecuador
    Inca    3.11    Peru, Bolivia, Chile
    Argentina    2.74   
    Amazon    3.32    Amapá, Pará, Roraima, Amazonas, Acre
    Plata-Mato Grosso    3.22    Paraguay, Uruguay; Goiás, border from Rondônia to São Paulo
    East Brazil    2.49    Minas Gerais, Tocantins, coast from Maranhão to Rio de Janeiro

18. #18 / 23
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

And here's the map with the territories according to Land Area.

Ideally I think the board should be somewhere between this and the population version above.Version of Risk board with 42 territories of roughly equal size using country and region borders

Edited Tue 5th Feb 04:49 [history]

19. #19 / 23
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Way Cool.

20. #20 / 23
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn