220 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 16
    Standard Member j-bomb
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

there should be a selection of trophy's to choose from other than the standard one. don't get me wrong the standard one is fine but it would be cool to have more options. not a big deal just throwing it out there. :)

2. #2 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

There is merit to this opinion, but there's an opposite argument.  Namely, there should be NO trophies to choose from.  In order to start a tournament, the creator of the tournament would need to have one at the ready.

Personally I like your proposal ..with a twist.  The list of available trophy choices could be added to by the board designer.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

3. #3 / 16
    Standard Member BlackDog
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm with M57, I think there should be no default trophy and creating one should be prerequisite for tourney creation.

4. #4 / 16
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'm a big supporter of this decision.  I like the idea of forcing people starting a tourney to choose a unique one.  Also, we've now got a good number of tourneys in the history, so there's no reason why the host, at a minimum, couldn't peruse the history and find one even if they don't want to do the work to find something new.

5. #5 / 16
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

i agree as well... after seeing the comments people had posted in different tournies like "id join if you got a better trophy" and such it seemed to me that that is a big part of getting people to want to play. 

that said i enjoyed going and looking for 'trophies' to use when i created my first 3 tournies (have to give tomM a big thanks for re-sizing them for me!!!) and will continue to do so in the future. 

6. #6 / 16
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Playing Devil's Advocate here: What would you say to those players who aren't adept at re-sizing images?  It would seem that forcing somebody to either a) learn how to resize themselves or b) pester other players to resize the image for them is contrary to a simple user experience.

Yes, there are players who might not join a tourney because it's the default trophy, but then again there would be even more players who wouldn't play if that tournament was never set up in the first place...

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

7. #7 / 16
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

Playing Devil's Advocate here: What would you say to those players who aren't adept at re-sizing images?  It would seem that forcing somebody to either a) learn how to resize themselves or b) pester other players to resize the image for them is contrary to a simple user experience.

Yes, there are players who might not join a tourney because it's the default trophy, but then again there would be even more players who wouldn't play if that tournament was never set up in the first place...

Good point - On the other hand, stock paint programs that come with most operating systems are capable of resizing easily enough.  Perhaps a help page dedicated to resizing is in order. 

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #8 / 16
    Standard Member the regulator
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

i AM the person of whom you speak...

i posted when i was first setting up the games that i was trying to find some good trophies but was having trouble finding the exact 400x400 pics that was required, and tomM immediatly offed to help along with another person who im sorry but dont recall the name, both trying to help me out.  i wouldnt be surprised if more people would have stepped forward and offered to help but by that time the trophies were already up so there was no need for them to post the offer.

9. #9 / 16
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

What would you say to those players who aren't adept at re-sizing images?

That's actually the point I was trying to make:  Since we've got a huge history of tournaments now, even if you're not adept at finding (and resizing) a NEW trophy from the internet, you could always find one that has already been used for in a previous tournament, which is already sized properly.

So, like in J-Bomb's OP, the "set of trophies to choose from" would actually be populated by all previous trophies used, meaning that it is constantly growing.

10. #10 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Agreed, I will amend this.

11. #11 / 16
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

BorisTheFrugal wrote:
    AttilaTheHun wrote:

What would you say to those players who aren't adept at re-sizing images?

That's actually the point I was trying to make:  Since we've got a huge history of tournaments now, even if you're not adept at finding (and resizing) a NEW trophy from the internet, you could always find one that has already been used for in a previous tournament, which is already sized properly.

So, like in J-Bomb's OP, the "set of trophies to choose from" would actually be populated by all previous trophies used, meaning that it is constantly growing.

That would be a good feature!

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

12. #12 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

A bit of googling turned up this website:

http://resizeyourimage.com/

It seems to be pretty easy to use.  So now you don't even need an application on your computer, you can just do it yourself online.  Maybe this could be added to the help section that talks about trophies?

13. #13 / 16
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:

A bit of googling turned up this website:

http://resizeyourimage.com/

It seems to be pretty easy to use.  So now you don't even need an application on your computer, you can just do it yourself online.  Maybe this could be added to the help section that talks about trophies?

Ozy this is perfect.  Just went through and it's very easy to use.

14. #14 / 16
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I've updated the tournament creation page to require a trophy image. I also linked to that site for ease of use, thanks Ozyman.

15. #15 / 16
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I have to say that this thread was a pleasure to read.

An Issue was stated, a brief discussion was had, a problem was resolved and the suggestion was implemented.

It was like watching CSpan!  USA...USA...USA

16. #16 / 16
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes.  Just like CSpan.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)