218 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 30
    Standard Member SquintGnome
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Those are good examples Alpha.  Finding the right setting for the timer is important and tricky.  I think the intention has to be to set the time so that the player knows they need to be fully dedicated to they game.  They will not be doing chores around the house or surfing the net.  Once the time gets too high, like ten minutes, the player gets bored and begins doing other things.  Then when it's their turn, they are in the middle of something and don't get back right away, then they take more time getting their 'head back in the game' when they return. 

A short timer will initially result in a high boot rate until players get used to the idea that they are not multi-tasking - they need to fully focus on the game.  

I hate to add one more idea to the cauldron, but I though last night if it was possible to have a player set timer.  So they can choose how many minutes between turns for RT games.

2. #22 / 30
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

So a couple of possibilities that I think could work:

2-3 minute timer with an auto end-turn feature - so you don't get ever get booted but your turn is just ended

Chess timer - is this like a non-replenishable 'reserve' that the player can eat into if their turn takes > 2-3 minutes?

3. #23 / 30
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

2-3 minute timer with an auto end-turn feature - so you don't get ever get booted but your turn is just ended

Chess timer - is this like a non-replenishable 'reserve' that the player can eat into if their turn takes > 2-3 minutes?

I think I would propose that if a turn is just ended, that the player is still awarded a card if they are eligible for one (captured a (non-empty) territory)...which I believe is different than currently functionality if you are skipped while eligible.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

4. #24 / 30
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Auto end-turn would be an improvement as would the 2-3 minute timer.

Traditional chess timers are non-replenishable reserves where you automatically lose if your time runs out. Variations include the "delay timer" (x seconds tick before clock starts so an opponent can't just run you out of time), and the Fischer clock where x seconds are added to your clock after each turn. Go uses "byo-yomi" where you have multiple sessions of x seconds per turn once your main clock expires.

I like chess timers, but I feel like a variation like the Fischer clock makes more sense. When your main clock runs out you'd have your turn ended and then you'd have the fixed amount added for your next turn. 

5. #25 / 30
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

This could be semi-abused.  A player joining a game with 4+ players could sit out every turn and the timer would have to run it's full course.  Not so bad on a 2-3 minute timer, but still..

..or it could be constantly replenishing... 10 min/4 turns = 2.5 minute turns, always recalculated backwards from the last 3 turns; this way a player who moves every 2 minutes can handle a 4+ minute distraction and make it up in the next two or three turns.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Thu 11th Aug 10:40 [history]

6. #26 / 30
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

SquintGnome wrote:

I hate to add one more idea to the cauldron, but I though last night if it was possible to have a player set timer.  So they can choose how many minutes between turns for RT games.

I also think this is important. It is understandable that we want things simple and to make it so that the user is forced into making good gaming choices. But I'm pretty sure with RT, we don't know what those good choices are yet. Until the ideal timings are found, I advocate flexibility in setting the timer (at least for RT).

7. #27 / 30
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    SquintGnome wrote:

I also think this is important. It is understandable that we want things simple and to make it so that the user is forced into making good gaming choices. But I'm pretty sure with RT, we don't know what those good choices are yet. Until the ideal timings are found, I advocate flexibility in setting the timer (at least for RT).

+ another

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

8. #28 / 30
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Alpha wrote:

So the other day I was thinking that a 2-3 minute timer with an auto end-turn feature would be nice.  There would not be any boots, but if a player left the game would still end rather quickly because of the auto end-turn feature.  This would also cut-off a turn that was in process, but was taking too long.

It just occurred to me that this shifts the annoyingness of someone not being there. If someone isn't there, they kill 2-3 minutes EVERY time it's their turn. It doesn't seem as bad as the 20 minutes from two skips we have now until ten of their turns have passed! 

9. #29 / 30
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote:
    Alpha wrote:

So the other day I was thinking that a 2-3 minute timer with an auto end-turn feature would be nice.  There would not be any boots, but if a player left the game would still end rather quickly because of the auto end-turn feature.  This would also cut-off a turn that was in process, but was taking too long.

It just occurred to me that this shifts the annoyingness of someone not being there. If someone isn't there, they kill 2-3 minutes EVERY time it's their turn. It doesn't seem as bad as the 20 minutes from two skips we have now until ten of their turns have passed! 

In my mind these 7-10 (depending on the timer) turns should be sufficient to eliminate the opponent being skipped and not be 20 minutes of nothing.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

10. #30 / 30
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:
    tom wrote:

This could be semi-abused.  A player joining a game with 4+ players could sit out every turn and the timer would have to run it's full course.  Not so bad on a 2-3 minute timer, but still..

Not to say it wouldn't be done, but if a player choose to sit out every turn, they wouldn't get any position on the board and would lose the game eventually. 

I guess there is the problem that every turn a player can make their moves and then let the timer expire to end their turn and slow down the game, but with a 2-3 minute timer this isn't really a problem in my opinion.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)