174 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member RECON
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

On Warfish we had Plug Ins, some of which were helpful, though not to a great advantage.

I realize that the advanced nature of data collection and presentation on this site far exceed what was available on Warfish almost all of which I enjoy, but there were some things there I liked.

I think that because, as I understand it, any one could post Plug Ins there were many to choose from and generally new ones as time went on.

Why aren't there any Plug Ins for this site?

RECON

2. #2 / 7
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't see the point. My sense is that the original idea for "plug-ins" would be to create revenue.  "Buy this plug-in to see your luck stats etc."  The reality was that (most of) the plug-ins were free.  I suppose it was also thought that members could write code to make their own plug-ins (and perhaps sell them).

Here, all of the programming is implemented by Tom, and it's top shelf.  Really, "plug-ins" are being continuously written and updated and seamlessly integrated into the site.  I'm tempted to use a Microsoft v. Mac analogy but it's not quite appropriate ..and it might ignite a fire.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 22nd Jun 06:17 [history]

3. #3 / 7
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i can see the point for plug-ins for any number of different reasons (none of them being revenue oriented tho). doesn't matter what their original intent on ToS was, there were somethings that were useful, or organized things for the way your mind works, whatever. i wouldn't be opposed to them for your own use (or public sharing) - if you know how to write code to 'plug-in'to what tom's developed.

**HOWEVER**, 2 things:
    1- i think that tom aught to be given a chance to integrate whatever that is first. if it's something he can and is willing to do, then maybe you can help him code it up to take some of the weight from him. he HAS been willing to do many things in the past...just look at what we have today!!
    2 - if he's not willing or able, AND he gives you 'permission' to do it then it needs to be something that doesn't interfere with his existing code.

this is all assuming that it's possible for things outside his control to interact with his code...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 22nd Jun 10:34 [history]

4. #4 / 7
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The idea of user added code / content is a good one, there are a few issues around authentication / hosting / server protection that would need to be resolved.

Generally as weathertop suggests I'm happy to incorporate most ideas into the site natively, the main constraint as usual is the time taken to do this but I am certainly happy to incorporate other people's code if they are willing to submit it.

5. #5 / 7
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I still don't see the point, but then I probably don't understand the concept completely. Can someone give me an example of what a member created plug-in might do?

Someone set me straight what is a plug-in?  Is it code that resides on the computer of the users that down-load it?  Isn't the point of a "plug-in" that if you don't use it, don't download it?  That's the way it is with programs that i use.  Or is it simply code that has one-way access to site data that Tom will agree to host?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home
    Edited Wed 22nd Jun 11:50 [history]

6. #6 / 7
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think a good example of this is the luck stats.  The primitive code and idea for the functionality of this Mongrel and I gave to Tom to pretty up.  If there was the ability to create a plugin for luck stats, I would have put together the entire package and then the user who want it can have it added.

Outside of an example such as above, the argument for user generated code is that as content is being created and shared, so too are ideas.  Tom has done a great job on the site managing all of the components that are here (development for stats, game-play variations, features, bugs, etc).  With user generated content some of the fluffy stuff we like could be generated by users and then Tom would have more time to implement functionality changes to the site.  If there were popular plug-ins that most of the players were using, Tom could then incorporate them into the site (again there was a luck stat plug-in in the old world that was very popular which propagated desire for one here).

Lastly, as a developer, there are some plug-ins that I would create for my own use, without the intention to share as they would be pretty specific to my wants.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

7. #7 / 7
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Sorry, I should have also said that there are many arguments against plug-ins as well, security, site prettiness and implementing a plug-in interface are the three that immediately come to mind.  I am also happy with the current working of the site and cannot believe how much work Tom has invested to get it to where it is doing the vast majority of the work himself.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)