1. #41 / 56
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

emz wrote:
    Mad Bomber wrote:

it is 9 cents a day for premem! just do it emz

Paying off student loans, rent, tuition, books, and food is a little more important to me, financially.

don't even want to hear that! all it takes is one night at the bar to cough up $30.  :^P

and i've got 50k in student loans, mortgage payment, daycare costs, kid's genius kids trumpet lessons, food for a family, i could go on and on...and i don't even go to the bars anymore!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

2. #42 / 56
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    emz wrote:
    Mad Bomber wrote:

Paying off student loans, rent, tuition, books, and food is a little more important to me, financially.

don't even want to hear that! all it takes is one night at the bar to cough up $30.  :^P

Then he should put the $30 to student loans, rent, tuition, books, and food Wink.  I like emz's line of thinking and really wish I would have figured it out earlier!

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

3. #43 / 56
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    weathertop wrote:
    emz wrote:
    Mad Bomber wrote:

Then he should put the $30 to student loans, rent, tuition, books, and food Wink.  I like emz's line of thinking and really wish I would have figured it out earlier!

I vote for the bar.  Can we move that up on the list?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "really "play WG boards in real-time?
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

4. #44 / 56
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    Kjeld wrote:

Or just join or start games with a longer turn-timer. That's why the 7-day was created.

{#emotions_dlg.rofl}

i guess i wouldn't be opposed to letting the standard player have 2 days of vacation as part of their package.

+1

I thought standard members get a certain minimum vacation time already?  It would be worth a certain amount of days (2, 3) just to be fallback for the one or two last-minute turn emergencies that even a meticulous turn-planner is bound to run into every now and then. 

With no vacation I would imagine most standard members feel uneasy joining 2-player games that span a weekend, especially if they are SimulGear.

~ATH

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

5. #45 / 56
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

+1

If I were a standard member and had to risk losing a turn or a game every time I took a three day vacation somewhere, I think I would find another place to play.   There are not that many seven day games around - at least not against the better players.

That said, I think there are WAY too many vacation days. but I guess it's a necessary evil. I wonder what percentage of vacation days Premium members use.  For me it's probably in the 10% range, and when I take it, I usually dial in 3 or 4 days.  I'm guessing the average is more in the 25% range.

A couple days a month for standard members is friendly and gets them accustomed to the feature. When those week-long vacations come around they will want for more.

6. #46 / 56
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Here, Here.  Premium membership should be included within the cost of an education. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

If you think of it... my Premium is included in the cost of an education (just not mine) since I got my school to pay for it. 

Don't you wish you could all do that?

7. #47 / 56
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think it might be good to give standard members a few vacation days (3?), but the other thing to keep in mind is that a boot really isn't the end of the world on this site. Sure, it ruins that game and your ranking score takes a (small) hit, but it has no effect whatsoever on your ability to start or join another game.

8. #48 / 56
    Private emz emz is offline now
    Standard Member emz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:
    emz wrote:
    Mad Bomber wrote:

and i've got 50k in student loans, mortgage payment, daycare costs, kid's genius kids trumpet lessons, food for a family, i could go on and on...and i don't even go to the bars anymore!

Making assumptions is bad for your "image." I've been out to the bars once in my life...my 21st, and I didn't pay for a damn thing, as my friends paid for it all, and my boyfriend didn't drink at all so that he could drive me home.

9. #49 / 56
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

meh, my image really can't be hurt all that much more! :^)
    and it's not a bad assumption, you just happen to fall into the 0.02% of college kids who've never paid for a drink at a bar. just ttrying to point out $30 really aint all that much. just up to you to decide what entertainment it's worth.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

10. #50 / 56
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

you just happen to fall into the 0.02% of college kids who've never paid for a drink at a bar. 

..and you just happen to be one  of who knows what % of people who find enough value in the this site to want to play here, but are unwilling to pay for it (at it's current price) and may even be considering taking your "business" elsewhere.   Pricing out the value of a cyber-space like this one is subjective territory. What constitutes enough in the way of features to keep non-paying members active, and why is that important? Charge too little and at a certain point you make less money because only a certain amount of people will join regardless of the price.  Charge too much and we all know what happens.  Anywhere in between and there will be collateral damage.  Not everyone can be happy.

11. #51 / 56
    Private emz emz is offline now
    Standard Member emz
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Interesting, probably non-fact-based, statistic you have there. I've never been a drinker, and didn't drink until a few months before I turned 21. Don't have the time, or knowledge, to spare by getting trashed a couple nights each week. My education is far more important to me than having a "good time" forgetting several hours of my life.

When you're employer is screwing you over in shifts for the last two months (i.e., short about $800), you have a $200 bridesmaid dress to pay for, $2000 in summer tuition, $100 in summer textbooks, and fall tuition coming up, $30 means a lot more to me than it does to many others.

Fortunately, my boyfriend, whom I live with, pays for 95% of the groceries and house necessities, so I'm able to take care of anything else that is of importance.

12. #52 / 56
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 - you know that 89.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right? and i would have thought you would 'understand' me well enough by now that i'm not out to piss anyone off or hurt the site in general (it just happens, eh!). i thought i've been pretty good about thinking from a newbie's perspective on many of the new ideas here and poking holes/playing devil's advocate just to make our decisions that much better/stronger.

emz - i wasn't trying to be an arsehole, see my tagline under my forum name...it just comes naturally. i also wasn't trying to say that you need to get trashed to spend $30 at a bar, prices these days i'm sure you could spend that on 3 drinks. believe it or not, there was a time where $30 for *anything* recreational wouldn't have been in the cards for me either. i took out loans and worked half a dozen jobs while trying to raise a kid for the last three years i was in school (was even on title 19 and food stamps for a while until we could work ourselves out of the gutter). 

i think i, and many others, misread the first few posts. but once you clarified yourself, or we understood better, i think i was also one of the first to agree there could be improvements made to the standard account (i still think that 2-3 days of vaca would be good).

while i agree there is a descrepancy between standard and premium i also think that what we have here is reasonable, intelligent, and not without the ability to better it when new ideas come in. there were reasons why we decided on some things for premium (easy game stats - cus you could come up with the info yourself if you took the time; it was just easier to have it done for you, thus a premium // luck stats - not really important to any game strategy, but fun to look at and complain with // etc).

that said, what else specifically could be added to all players?

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Tue 12th Jul 02:24 [history]

13. #53 / 56
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

weathertop wrote:

M57 - you know that 89.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot, right? and i would have thought you would 'understand' me well enough by now that i'm not out to piss anyone off or hurt the site in general (it just happens, eh!). i thought i've been pretty good about thinking from a newbie's perspective on many of the new ideas here and poking holes/playing devil's advocate just to make our decisions that much better/stronger.

Hey W, my comment was directed towards e.  ..and yes, I know.  I'm just more exacting; that's why I use high-falutin jargon like "who knows what %". :)

14. #54 / 56
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

sorry misread it, i can see the tone towards e now! hug? :^)

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

15. #55 / 56
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

..my fault for responding to your post -- I was just adding to it.  Gotta love these awkward cyber-moments.

16. #56 / 56
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

So wait weathertop are you offering to pay me $30 to go to a bar and get trashed?  I'll humbly accept your offer challenge.

What were we talking about again?

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun
    Edited Tue 12th Jul 18:48 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)