225 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 13
    Standard Member NewlyIdle
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Hi, another WF refugee here.  I'm already liking a lot of the UI improvements.  I love being able to zoom all the way across the board in one swell foop on unlimited fortify maps, though I could do without the arrows because on some maps they can be so dense that you can't actually see the nearer territories.

The [T] attack button is a great shortcut, but dangerous!  I've mis-clicked it a couple times already.  And I'm still trying to unlearn clicking the browser refresh bottom to update a game board, as it causes the flash player to restart.

I also really like the concept of "real time" games, it's very enjoyable to play a game where everyone is online and taking their turns immediately.  BUT, the fact that you have to *finish* your turn in 10 minutes is a serious problem for me on maps like The Maze, where it can take longer than 10 minutes (for me) to take a turn.  Picture starting with >100 units to allocate, go on multiple marches across the board, and then want to do tens of fortifies at the end.  Even with the very efficient UI, I have had my turn cut off in the middle even though I was actively moving the whole time.  No card, to bad about those crucial fortifies...  Very frustrating!

If the "lightning game" algorithm could be tweaked to forcibly end a turn that started in time only if there was some reasonable period of inactivity (as little as a minute would be fine IMHO), I think it would be a Good Thing (tm).

OK, winding down, maybe I should get to the subject question.  The "Welcome for WarGear.net" email said that I'd be "qualified" for a free month's Premium Membership once I finished my first game.  That didn't happen automagically, is there some action I need to take?

Thanks...

Edited Wed 23rd Feb 17:30 [history]

2. #2 / 13
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

NewlyIdle wrote:

Hi, another WF refugee here.  I'm already liking a lot of the UI improvements.  I love being able to zoom all the way across the board in one swell foop on unlimited fortify maps, though I could do without the arrows because on some maps they can be so dense that you can't actually see the nearer territories.

The [T] attack button is a great shortcut, but dangerous!  I've mis-clicked it a couple times already.  And I'm still trying to unlearn clicking the browser refresh bottom to update a game board, as it causes the flash player to restart.

I also really like the concept of "real time" games, it's very enjoyable to play a game where everyone is online and taking their turns immediately.  BUT, the fact that you have to *finish* your turn in 10 minutes is a serious problem for me on maps like The Maze, where it can take longer than 10 minutes (for me) to take a turn.  Picture starting with >100 units to allocate, go on multiple marches across the board, and then want to do tens of fortifies at the end.  Even with the very efficient UI, I have had my turn cut off in the middle even though I was actively moving the whole time.  No card, to bad about those crucial fortifies...  Very frustrating!

If the "lightning game" algorithm could be tweaked to forcibly end a turn that started in time only if there was some reasonable period of inactivity (as little as a minute would be fine IMHO), I think it would be a Good Thing (tm).

OK, winding down, maybe I should get to the subject question.  The "Welcome for WarGear.net" email said that I'd be "qualified" for a free month's Premium Membership once I finished my first game.  That didn't happen automagically, is there some action I need to take?

Thanks...

The tons of arrows can be mitigated by a selection that map makers can make.  It changes the arrows to instead be circles around the territories that you can fortify to.  Unfortunately, there are a some of maps that would benefit from this, but don't have it turned on.

I'm not sure about the rest of the post, but I'm sure Yertle, Tom or someone else will be around to answer it in a little while.

3. #3 / 13
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Aye, the arrows can be substituted for circles, especially on Fortify this is more acceptable.  Might get with the Board Designer to see if they would switch it.

I'm unsure of redeeming the Premium, I was waiting for an answer too :)  I'll throw it in the Help once it's figured out though!

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

"But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first." Matthew 19:30 - Good strategy for life and WarGear!

4. #4 / 13
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

If I remember correctly, you have to go to Settings, then Account. You should see an option to start your free 1-month Premium membership. You may have to complete 1 game before this becomes available, though.

5. #5 / 13
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thanks CK66, that was it!  You'd think I might have found that just spelunking around, but noooo.

Another Q: Right now I'm not in any no-fog games where a card set has been turned in so I can't confirm, but it seemed to me there was no easy way to see what the next card set would be worth.  The range shown in "card sets worth" didn't adjust for each set turned in, so the lowest number didn't tell you what you would get.

6. #6 / 13
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but you should be able to see the card value in 1 of 2 ways:

1. If you click on the game name (without launching the player), you should see a box on the left-hand side. In that box, there is a Next Card Set Worth.

2. Once you launch the Player, you can click on Cards. The next card set should be displayed at the top.

7. #7 / 13
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but you should be able to see the card value in 1 of 2 ways:

1. If you click on the game name (without launching the player), you should see a box on the left-hand side. In that box, there is a Next Card Set Worth.

2. Once you launch the Player, you can click on Cards. The next card set should be displayed at the top.

You understand correctly.

1.  OK, I see that, thanks.  Not what I would call "easy", but it works.

2. Yes, that's what I would expect but no, I don't (didn't) see that.  None of the numbers in the range shown in the "card sets worth" box were highlighted in a different color, unlike method 1, and I didn't see any other mention of the current worth.  I'll check again when someone turns in in one of my current games.

8. #8 / 13
    Standard Member CK66
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

In both cases, the first number displayed should be what the next card set is worth. So, if you have cards worth 3,4,5,6..., after the first set is turned in for 3 units, the list will update to 4,5,6,7... (the 3 will drop off).

9. #9 / 13
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

CK66 wrote:

In both cases, the first number displayed should be what the next card set is worth. So, if you have cards worth 3,4,5,6..., after the first set is turned in for 3 units, the list will update to 4,5,6,7... (the 3 will drop off).

Makes sense, but I'd swear it didn't seem to work that way.  OTOH, just now I opened another player's game that had advanced far enough for card sets to have been turned in, and it is just as you say.

Could it be that what displays when you click <Cards> isn't updated unless you [refresh] or [reload] on the Play page?  Or, maybe I was just having a senior moment.

10. #10 / 13
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

AND THE ANSWER IS (drumroll):  You have to click the [Reload] button to make sure the Cards tab is up to date.  It isn't automatic, and [Refresh] on the Play tab does not even do it.

OK, good to know.  Thanks for your help, CK.

Now, Tom, how about that 10 minute turn timer?   ;)

11. #11 / 13
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

NewlyIdle wrote:

AND THE ANSWER IS (drumroll):  You have to click the [Reload] button to make sure the Cards tab is up to date.  It isn't automatic, and [Refresh] on the Play tab does not even do it.

I've noticed this difference too between Refresh and Reload.  Anybody know what the difference is between the two?  When is "Refresh" appropriate vs. "Reload?"

12. #12 / 13
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

good question. F5 works for me all the time tho!

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

13. #13 / 13
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Refresh checks to see whether it is your turn. Reload completely reloads the board and game information into the Player - this is useful if the game becomes corrupted or broken for some reason.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)