209 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Standard Member ecko
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've played a few games now on the board Castles (really great board btw) but there's still smth I can't figure out.

It's this rule: "Castles attack all territories in their kingdom via artillery borders with +1 to attack & receive +1 to rolls when defending."

I have multiple examples found while reviewing game history that the +1 thing don't apply all the time, or when it does, it doesn't work?

I really don't know how it works, could someone explain it briefly? Is it random?

Here is a brief example of what I don't understand.

Player A has 6 units in the french castle "Paris", Player B occupies the territory called "France" with 1 unit.

The following lines are quoted from game history:

Player A attacked Player B Paris > France (2)+1 (6) [Player A loses 1 unit]

Player A attacked Player B Paris > France (1)+1 (1) [Player A loses 1 unit] --> ???? OK so you got +1 in all your dice throws but its possible to roll 0? If not how can 1+1 not beat 1?

Player A attacked Player B Paris > France (6)+1 (5) [Player B loses 1 unit and Player A occupies France]

Now, when attacking with multiple dices, do the +1 apply to one dice (the best) or to all 2 or 3? And does it apply all the time? (I imagine they apply to all because I already rolled some (7,7,4)s or (7,7,5)s while attacking.

Also, how do you explain that sometimes you can actually finish off a country while attacking from a castle (and then occupy it) and sometimes you can only take it down to 1 unit?

Thank you for explaining :) It would really help my game on this map if I could understand what's going on :p

Edited Fri 10th Dec 08:26 [history]

2. #2 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Border modifiers add number of sides to a dice, they don't add the amount to what dice you roll.

So instead of rolling a 6 sided dice the attacker rolls a 7 sided dice, which means the dice could be anywhere from 1 to 7.  It does not mean that the attacker rolls a 6 sided dice and then +1 gets added, this would mean that the dice would be anywhere from 1 to 6, but then add 1 which would really mean 2 to 7, but it does not do this.  Each attack dice thrown rolls with the same number of sides and each defend dice thrown rolls with the same number of sides.  Does this help clear the confusion...or hurt it?

Now, the border type of Artillery means you can take the defending territory down to 1 (or 0 if abandon was On) but not capture the territory.  Castles attack back to directly bordering territories with a Default border type which means it can be captured as well.  See the Help FAQ for more on border types.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

Yertle: I really don't know what we'd be doing if tom didn't start WG
    Yertle: scary to think about :p
    RiskyBack: You'd have more kids and I'd have a real job, probably

3. #3 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

that does clear things up Yertle, even for those of us who thought they knew how it worked...

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

4. #4 / 8
    Standard Member ecko
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Haha wt you see my question was not so dumb after all :p. Ok so we roll from 1 to 7 instead of rolling from 1 to 6 then doing +1. that explains a lot of things.

So everytime you attack or defend with a castle, this applies to all the dices right?

I think you (or an admin) should put an update explaining this more precisely in the Castles board rules because I think many are confused about this (even players who are top scoring this board) and not that many read the full FAQ.

Btw, concerning which territories can be directly occupied at the end of an attack coming from a castle, I'm guessing they have to physically touch it right?

e.g: From Rome you can attack and occupy Western Italy, Eastern Italy and Naples whereas you can only occupy Hungary from Budapest and take all other countries of the same continent down to 1.

5. #5 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ecko wrote:

So everytime you attack or defend with a castle, this applies to all the dices right?

Yep.

ecko wrote:

I think you (or an admin) should put an update explaining this more precisely in the Castles board rules because I think many are confused about this (even players who are top scoring this board) and not that many read the full FAQ.

Cram could, although this functionality (Border Modifiers/Border Types) is universal on WarGear, so it's not necessarily specific to Castles and would seem, IMO, to junk up a lot of Board Descriptions to explain the functionality of the site.  Instead it's in more of a single place, the Help pages.

ecko wrote:

Btw, concerning which territories can be directly occupied at the end of an attack coming from a castle, I'm guessing they have to physically touch it right?

e.g: From Rome you can attack and occupy Western Italy, Eastern Italy and Naples whereas you can only occupy Hungary from Budapest and take all other countries of the same continent down to 1.

Yep, that is the way Cram designed it.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

Yertle: I really don't know what we'd be doing if tom didn't start WG
    Yertle: scary to think about :p
    RiskyBack: You'd have more kids and I'd have a real job, probably

6. #6 / 8
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

ecko wrote:

...all the dices...

I was going to help out with the changes until I saw this. Now everyone suffers.

In your Face!

7. #7 / 8
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

never said your question was dumb ecko...i'm of the belief that if you have a question ask it cus someone else out there has the same question.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

8. #8 / 8
    Standard Member ecko
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes im sorry my last post came out wrong, i was actually pleasanttly surprised I wasn't alone in having troubles understanding how it works precisely on this map. I didnt mean to imply that you would think my question was dumb.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)