222 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 42
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Would anybody have any interest in finding an hour or two where we could meet and discuss in real time the functions and theories of factories?  I'd like to both answer questions about how to achieve certain mechanics using factories as well as have a brainstorm on how to overcome some of the roadblocks we've run into using the tools we already have at our disposal.  I know this is much more effective with some sort of Skype Chat with Screen Sharing or at least a real-time discussion as opposed to leaving huge text walls with confusing descriptions of large systems.  Anybody in?

2. #2 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

i'd like to sit in and learn. i'm not much good with factories (yet).

Korrun is good with them, as i'm assuming are Amidon, Kjeld, Ozy and M57 with their major factory boards. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...
    Edited Wed 4th Jan 21:36 [history]

3. #3 / 42
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I think it's good for both people who are good with them and people who are just curious about them.  I'd add Thingol to that list.  I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about.  

4. #4 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

I can try to be there.  I haven't played with them much -

What are you looking for that is not here?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:factories

5. #5 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Amidon37 wrote:

I can try to be there.  I haven't played with them much -

What are you looking for that is not here?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:factories

I'm pretty sure I wrote most of the above and that there are some functionalities that are not included in the tutorial.  I also authored some other pages in an attempt to describe a number of 'advanced' uses. Not all, but most. I notice that the images using the modeling language (that I was trying to develop) are not showing up very well.

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:advanced

I think it would be great if Edward could contribute some links to this.

On the other hand, if there was a clear agenda, a real-time meeting could have some value.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.
    Edited Thu 5th Jan 11:09 [history]

6. #6 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Count me in Ed, for the discussion.

7. #7 / 42
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Could do a real-time discussion in a shared google doc -- sort of like a gchat conversation, but we'd also have a durable record that people could refer to and add to later.

8. #8 / 42
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I can look into contributing to those pages.  I think I uploaded a graphic once?  I forget where though.

I wanted to see if we could figure out how Team Factories worked.  I also wanted to see if we could share our toolboxes with one another.  I've seen other people using factories in ways that are similar to how I think about them, but accomplishing mechanics I'd never put together.  I figured sharing some insight that we each have might inspire some cool new stuff.

I even thought about putting together some tutorial maps that focus specifically on one tool, so we could all join and see the stripped down version of some complicated tools, so that we can better understand and implement them.

There are also some interesting things about them that are hard to put in a forum, like how changing abandon rules can COMPLETELY change how and if these systems function.  I also am trying to think of creative ways to use team factories, and wanted to both look at how they work and discuss how we may be able to use them.

9. #9 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Edward Nygma wrote:

There are also some interesting things about them that are hard to put in a forum, like how changing abandon rules can COMPLETELY change how and if these systems function. 

Makes sense.  Especially this to me since there are so many unintended consequences of all the settings there are.

10. #10 / 42
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

these will be great for finally nailing down (and maybe documenting) all the features we currently have. 

i think g's video chat has the ability to share a screen to the rest of the group so you can animate what you're talking about real time. 

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

11. #11 / 42
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

That would be amazing.  I'm much better at describing these things with a visual.

12. #12 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Anybody knows what "Team Factory Production" does?

13. #13 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think instead of having to own all of the trigger territories yourself, you team can own them and the factory will fire. 

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

14. #14 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

That would make sense - so do you think it would fire every time a member of your team has a turn?

I don't remember Tom ever made an announcement about these, and I'm unaware of any guidelines written by him or anyone else about them.

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

15. #15 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Or is it that the units placed will effect you or your team members but not anyone else?

16. #16 / 42
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I haven't played around with it for a while, but I'm pretty sure you can't jointly own the continent (although that could be an interesting feature). I think it just deposits units on a teammate if they own the target territory.

17. #17 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

I haven't played around with it for a while, but I'm pretty sure you can't jointly own the continent (although that could be an interesting feature). I think it just deposits units on a teammate if they own the target territory.

In that case, the option only affects Standard factories, no? The other factories don't care who owns the territory (well except UF-N and UF+N but that's different).

I'm starting a game on my board with this enabled. It does not have standard factories but I guess I can add one just test and then remove.

Jointly owning the members would be the shit, but you're probably right that it is not that, since, as M57 noted, that would mean the factories would trigger in multiple turns and in that case one would probably have to balance the bonuses differently for single and team play (create 2 scenarios). I'm going to test that anyway.

18. #18 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Test it and let us know. I'll defer to Korrun - He's probably correct about it.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

19. #19 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Game in progress, added some standard factories to test it out.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/559118

Will post the results as soon as I get them.

Another thing that would be really handy would be to have factories with multiple targets. I got 2424 factories just to control the doors. With multiple targets, I would need only 12.

20. #20 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Korrun wrote:

Both confirmed. Jointly owning a continent does not work and Standard Factories put units on terrs owned by players from the same team, with this option ON.

I've cleaned up my board and restarted the game to play one for real so don't bother checking the History log of the game link I left earlier.

Edited Sat 18th Feb 22:24 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)