239 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #21 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I'm not totally sure where, but feel free to add the things you learn to the wiki:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php

We are trying to build up a repository of this kind of information.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

2. #22 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Added entry on the Team Settings table:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:board_designer:rules&#team_settings

Should I add a note to the Standard Factories description here as well?

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:factories

Edited Sun 19th Feb 13:51 [history]

3. #23 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, I think it makes sense to do that.

"I shall pass this way but once, any good I can do, or kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." -Stephen Grellet

4. #24 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Done.

5. #25 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Do AutoCapture factories eliminate or convert the units already existing in the target territory?

6. #26 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

They convert the units already in the territory.

7. #27 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Alright, thanks. Will use this in one of my scenarios instead of negative bonuses.

8. #28 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Actions from Universal factories not showing in the History log?

I have implemented some in my board, and from the end result I can tell that the factory triggered but I can't find the action on the log. I mean the pure Universal ones, not the +N or -N ones.

Btw, unless the territories can go temporarily into negative units*, the bonuses from non-AutoNeutral and non-AutoCapture are allways applied after the bonuses from the AutoNeutral/AutoCapture ones, regardless of their position in the factory list (which is ordered alphabetically).

*Does anyone confirm this or should I ask Tom?

On another note, I'm going to change these Universal factories I have to AutoCapture. Do territories acquired at the start of turn by AutoCapture count immediatly towards the territory bonus?

For example, let's say Player A has 9 territories before his turn and the formula is n/2 and the minimum bonus is 1. At the start of the turn, an AutoCapture factory gives him a territory for the total of 10. Does he get 5 or 4 reserve units in that turn?

This is actually very important to know because I have a scheme in my board that will give doors to players through AutoCapture but only for the duration of a given player's turn. If these doors count towards the bonus I will need to change the bonus formula from n/2 to n/3.

Edited Tue 28th Feb 08:05 [history]

9. #29 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Ok, I'm now pretty sure territories can go negative temporarily, that or the bonuses from all factories on the target territory are summed first and then applied. The history log only shows action if there is a net change in the number of units in the target territory.

So, it had nothing to with Universal factories actions not showing in the log. It's just that the net bonus from all factories on the target was 0. I had a Universal factory giving -4 bonus and an AutoNeutralReset factory giving +4 bonus. The action for the AutoNeutralReset factory placing 4 units did not show in the log either.

The order of factory bonuses do not matter.

So in effective terms, this is what matters:

standard continents bonuses are applied to reserve units -> AutoNeutral, AutoNeutralReset and AutoCapture factories apply the ownership change in alphabetical order of the names of the factories -> net bonuses from all factories per target territory are applied

Only remains to be seen if the territory bonus is apllied after or before the actions of the factories.

I think i'm now properly answering this:

http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=proving_grounds:proving_grounds:universal_vs_autocapture_hierarchy

Edited Tue 28th Feb 11:43 [history]

10. #30 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I confirm that the territory bonus is applied after the factories have done their job at the start of the turn, which makes sense since "player has started with x reserves" is the last action that shows up in the history log (before the player does anything that is).

Wanted to ask something about the WarGear Modeling Language. What is the difference between a territory with a white background and a territory with a transparent background?

example: http://www.wargear.net/wiki/doku.php?id=designer_tutorials:tutorials:factories:combination_finder

11. #31 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

On board or off board territories.  Meaning that the player should be able to see/interact with the ones that are on the board (the natural way you'd think of a territory)

And the player is not intended to see/interact with the off board territories.  So they exist within the playable area, but normally the board image doesn't have any transparency where that territory is, and therefore you can't see it.  The player is not intended to see or interact with these territories. 

They are the same territories in the designer - but it helps to talk about them as being on or off board so we can understand what they do.

Edited Sat 4th Mar 00:58 [history]

12. #32 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So white background means off board and transparent on board?

Thanks for the info.

13. #33 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

ratsy wrote:

On board or off board territories.  Meaning that the player should be able to see/interact with the ones that are on the board (the natural way you'd think of a territory)

And the player is not intended to see/interact with the off board territories.  So they exist within the playable area, but normally the board image doesn't have any transparency where that territory is, and therefore you can't see it.  The player is not intended to see or interact with these territories. 

They are the same territories in the designer - but it helps to talk about them as being on or off board so we can understand what they do.

Do you mean putting hidden territories 200 pixels away is not needed as long as you set boardmap, fillmap and fogmap to transparent in that area?

14. #34 / 42
    Standard Member ratsy
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yeah, as long as your board is opaque where the territory is, nobody will ever see it.

So you want the boardmap, fillmap and fog map to be opaque (or non-transparent) where the off board territories are.  (the white backgrounded ones in the diagram)

15. #35 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Okey, muchas gracias! :)

16. #36 / 42
    Standard Member redshift
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Don't know if this is common knowledge but if a factory eliminates a player, the rewards (cards and units) go to the player who has ended the turn and not to the player who is starting the turn, that is, they don't go to the player who owns the factories that peformed the elimination.

Here, one of ratsy's factories eliminated Redolent (I believe) and PT got the rewards. Look how he has more cards and units than what the board settings allow.

http://www.wargear.net/games/view/568257

Edited Tue 30th May 16:48 [history]

17. #37 / 42
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Interesting - hmmmmm

18. #38 / 42
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Everytime I see this thread I think of the proposal for actual "Realtime Factories."

Card Membership - putting the power of factories in your hand.

19. #39 / 42
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I would love to see realtime factories, but that would take a HUGE engine update, methinks. 

Frown

20. #40 / 42
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

M57 wrote:

Everytime I see this thread I think of the proposal for actual "Realtime Factories."

Same here.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123   (3 in total)