2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #1 / 31
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Castles

This is the favorite of my maps so far. I'm very excited to share it with you.

As a helpful tip, don't go rushing into a castle right away, or you'll find yourself out of the game just as quickly.

Like your grandpa, but angrier.

(If you need help with map design, look me up via AIM @ cramchakle)

2. #2 / 31
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Awesome board, thanks! Cram's just trying to trick everyone, best strategy is to get a castle as quickly as possible... (just kidding)

3. #3 / 31
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

So, I don't know if I'm missing something in the Rules or help files for capital city capture, but it seems like some of the territories of an eliminated player become yours upon elimination, while others just turn neutral. Are there rules governing this behavior? -H

4. #4 / 31
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've been wondering the same. Sometimes it seems like I get all of 'em and other times, almost none.

Cramchakle wrote: [anything]
    I agree

5. #5 / 31
    Premium Member KrocK
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

when you set capitols you can also set a asimillation % from 1-100% It seams that you cant check the % from in the game.... maby tom can allow this.

6. #6 / 31
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I did not know that. Nice find, Krock. Thanks.

Do you know if the settable percentage is a dice roll for each potentially capturable territory or a straight percentage of total conversion?

I agree

7. #7 / 31
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

asm wrote: I did not know that. Nice find, Krock. Thanks.

Do you know if the settable percentage is a dice roll for each potentially capturable territory or a straight percentage of total conversion?

I set the assimilation on this map at 33%. I honestly don't fully understand how it determines what gets assimilated or not. I also don't really understand if you get 33% of the armies or 33% of the territories or 33% of the armies on 33% of the territories, etc. But enough play testing landed me at 33% as a good balance between fun and game ending power-shifts.

Frankly, I don't really like the large portions of the map turning neutral; especially when the game is down to only a few players. However, when I had the assimilation set higher, the elimination avalanches were huge. The only other thing I could imagine is if instead of turning neutral, the conquering player would get his 33% (or whatever its set at) and the rest of the territories would be redivided at random amongst all the remaining players (including the conqueror). I dunno, that's more just speculation than an actual suggestion.

Happy Birthday to the ground!!!

8. #8 / 31
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

You can see the assimilation rules in the Board Rules page (http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Castles/Rules), but not in the Flash (I think I've mentioned this before, but dunno if tom ever commented on it).

I keep meaning to go back and check a recent game of Castles, because I think there was a time when I took out a player via a Capital and didn't get either 33% of the territories nor the armies.

Somehow in the Help I had put it was % of units, and I thought that came from tom, but I can't currently find where he said that, so I'm a bit unsure if it is right in the Help :P.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

9. #9 / 31
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep that's right Yertle, it's calculated on a per unit basis, not a per territory basis as this introduces a problem whereby you might assimilate 30% of the territories but only 1% of the units if a player has a big stack of units.

So, on a per territory basis the engine calculates how many units have been assimilated. If it's zero then the territory reverts to neutral. Otherwise, the conquering player gets the territory + the number of assimilated units.

10. #10 / 31
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: Yep that's right Yertle, it's calculated on a per unit basis, not a per territory basis as this introduces a problem whereby you might assimilate 30% of the territories but only 1% of the units if a player has a big stack of units.

So, on a per territory basis the engine calculates how many units have been assimilated. If it's zero then the territory reverts to neutral. Otherwise, the conquering player gets the territory + the number of assimilated units.

So, using 33% as an example, if a player has fewer than 3 armies on a territory, you will never assimilate it?

11. #11 / 31
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:
    tom wrote: Yep that's right Yertle, it's calculated on a per unit basis, not a per territory basis as this introduces a problem whereby you might assimilate 30% of the territories but only 1% of the units if a player has a big stack of units.

So, using 33% as an example, if a player has fewer than 3 armies on a territory, you will never assimilate it?

*edit* Read tom's reply, it's better.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

Edited Tue 26th Jan 11:01 [history]

12. #12 / 31
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote:

No - you have a 33% chance of assimilating each unit.

13. #13 / 31
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Ahhh, that is very helpful - thanks!

14. #14 / 31
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    Cramchakle wrote:

No - you have a 33% chance of assimilating each unit.

So, in a game with relatively high troop counts (>3 on each territory) and a 33% assimilation rate; there is a rather high probability that you will get all of the territories? 

That seems counter-intuitive to me, but I guess if you understand the numbers going in, it's not so bad.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

15. #15 / 31
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yes, very interesting strategical implications.

(not really, I just like eliminating people regardless)

I agree

16. #16 / 31
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Re-released with Dual-layer graphical support.

Hugs and kisses,

Cram

17. #17 / 31
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Cramchakle wrote: Re-released with Dual-layer graphical support.

Hugs and kisses,

Cram

Nevermind. Update rescinded for now. Look for it later today.

18. #18 / 31
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

You're very affectionate when you re-release your boards.

19. #19 / 31
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Okay. Now you can play on it.

20. #20 / 31
    Standard Member Magpie
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

For posterity's sake, I would just like to mention how beautiful that map is.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)