1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 14
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Firstly, I maintain that there needs to be a LOT more warning for a game that's going to skip your turn in an hour or two or whatever you have it at now than a little lightning symbol next to the game listing in the open tables.

Second, is there something hinky with the way this was implemented? This game: http://www.wargear.net/games/view/4827 shows 'Game Speed Lightning</b>' on the board info page, but I can attest that it was not created as such. Maybe an issue with games from before 'Lightning' existed having the label applied for some reason?

Also, I've gone and broken the text editor again.

2. #2 / 14
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I thought the lightning dealy was plenty. I guess I don't know what other routes people use to join games.

Cram it.

3. #3 / 14
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Thanks asm, you're right that is incorrect and have fixed.

There's the lughtning symbol on the open game and it's in bold text with the symbol on the game join page. I kinda think that's enough?

4. #4 / 14
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Okay. Maybe I'm just underestimating peoples' intelligence.

5. #5 / 14
    Standard Member Magpie
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

I'm not sure its enough, for new players at least. Just joined two four player lightning games, in one 2 of us are online and in the other I appear to be the only one online :/

Some of the players in these games are brand new to wargear, so not recognizing the lightning symbol makes sense. Maybe the games should have a warning for accepting them?

6. #6 / 14
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

OK fair enough, I'll add something in.

7. #7 / 14
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE THIS GAME MUCH FASTER THAN YOU WOULD NORMALLY LOSE, YOU LOSER.

8. #8 / 14
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE THIS GAME MUCH FASTER THAN YOU WOULD NORMALLY LOSE, YOU LOSER.

Totally want this to be the warning!

The Status is NOT quo

9. #9 / 14
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I like the lightning, but in the game I played I had an opponent who routinely took his turn at the 12 minute mark. Not quite like the "real-time", lightning pace I was hoping for. So, I'm thinking that eventually there will be demand (beyond just me) for a faster time, such as 5 minutes. I would like 5 minutes a lot I think. 2 minutes could even work if the board isn't too big.

-Hugh

10. #10 / 14
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'd suggest that 2 would be even better than 5, assuming you could program in not to boot or skip if someone has started playing their turn.

The problem with less than 15 is that even if you're not going anywhere, you can easily lose 6 or 7 minutes between turns. 2 minutes means this game is on my screen the whole time. 5 is dangerous.

I played one today (at 15 obviously) and most turns were taken in around the 4-8 minute range because I'd be reading something else on another tab.

11. #11 / 14
    Standard Member bengaltiger
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

What currently happens if the timer expires while you're taking your turn? Does the world end?

12. #12 / 14
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Wow, 2 minutes. So you need to empty your bladder before starting that game and sit poised in front of the computer waiting for the game to start. Obviously you don't have a wife or children?!?

If the timer expires mid-turn it will just end your turn regardless of what you're doing.

13. #13 / 14
    Standard Member Hugh
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Under asm's model, I think we'd still want to cap the total time of the move. A player could start a turn under 2 minutes, then take an hour to move otherwise. I definitely agree that a 2 minute cap is even better than 5 (I used to be a blitz chess addict - a full game is guaranteed to take under 10 minutes).

I don't have children (or a wife), but my girlfriend is trained to be ignored during any sort of timed internet game :)

14. #14 / 14
    Premium Member Andernut
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

Hugh wrote: Under asm's model, I think we'd still want to cap the total time of the move. A player could start a turn under 2 minutes, then take an hour to move otherwise. I definitely agree that a 2 minute cap is even better than 5 (I used to be a blitz chess addict - a full game is guaranteed to take under 10 minutes).

I don't have children (or a wife), but my girlfriend is trained to be ignored during any sort of timed internet game :)

Mine is trained but I try not to have my risk and my girlfriend in the same room at the same time just to avoid potential conflicts.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)