204 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 20
    Premium Member Kjeld
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

As I'm sure many of you noticed, a number of sites have "blacked out" today in protest of the proposed SOPA and PIPA legislation before the US Congress. I've read a number of analyses of the potential impact of these bills as written (e.g., reddit), but am still not entirely clear on all the implications.

So I thought I'd bring it down to earth with a concrete example and ask, would (or could) either bill affect WarGear? If so, how?

2. #2 / 20
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

I reckon that if either passed, and a mapmaker were so much as falsely accused of using copyrighted materials, the entire Wargear domain could be taken down for hosting them.

Also, if I posted a link here in the forums to a 'pirated' video hosted elsewhere, then Wargear would be responsible for the link and the entire domain taken down.

At least, that's my IANAL interpretation based on other explanations I've seen around the web.

So to answer your question, yeah.

In your Face!

Edited Wed 18th Jan 11:21 [history]

3. #3 / 20
    Standard Member YuriZ
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I've seen this on more forums. Can anyone quickly explain what these bills mean?

4. #4 / 20
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Something as simple as your avatar/icon is a copyrighted image.  If you tried to use it anywhere they could shut down the site where you uploaded it to and then come after you and that site for monetary damages that they make up in their insane little minds.

BTW - I am NOT complaining. I am just trying to make the world a better place with more awesome suggestions.

5. #5 / 20
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Aren't the Wargear servers located outside the US?  I would think the bills wouldn't have jurisdiction.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

6. #6 / 20
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yes, but they would redirect DNS so that people in the US could not access those servers.  (That's might understanding anyway, I'm not following it all that closely).

7. #7 / 20
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Who are the ones introducing/co-sponsoring the legislation?

Nevermind...should have known it was a couple of pubs:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/01/18/internet-blackout-sopa-pipa/

Edited Wed 18th Jan 18:06 [history]

8. #8 / 20
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Meh.  It's both parties supporting it:

The Stop Online Piracy Act was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and was initially co-sponsored by Howard Berman (D-CA), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), Steve Chabot (R-OH), John Conyers (D-MI), Ted Deutch (D-FL), Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Timothy Griffin (R-AR), Dennis A. Ross (R-FL), Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Lee Terry (R-NE).

The PROTECT IP Act has received bipartisan support in the Senate, with introduction sponsorship by Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT),

I would be surprised if the whole thing doesn't come back in a few months with a slightly watered down version.  I'm giving some money to the EFF tonight (https://www.eff.org/).  They seem like the most effective organization that fights for a free internet.

Edited Wed 18th Jan 18:34 [history]

9. #9 / 20
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

Aren't the Wargear servers located outside the US?  I would think the bills wouldn't have jurisdiction.

Actually this is one of the things that they are actually proclaiming about the bills, that they will protect US copyrights from evil doers outside the borders of the Greatest Nation on Earth.  It's the typical "USA...USA...USA" reasoning that works so often with the US Congress.  tom will be declared a terrorist using the Internet to promote his World Domination Agenda.

In reality the main thing that is frightening about this legislation is that they are a foot in the door for Internet control.  It is claimed that they will protect copyrights, jobs and our freedom and how can people be against that, but really, we only need to look to the Senator from Naboo for our Answer:

"So this is how Liberty dies...with thunderous applause"

P.S.  the word "applause" looks eerily like the word "Applesauce" and I don't think that is just by chance.

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

10. #10 / 20
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:
    AttilaTheHun wrote:

P.S.  the word "applause" looks eerily like the word "Applesauce" and I don't think that is just by chance.

If you're implying that applesauce looks like billions of tiny yellow people applauding...I couldn't agree more.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

11. #11 / 20
    Hyper-Geek Raptor
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I don't understand all the fuss...I love sopapipas...especially with honey.

Ad Extremum Omnia Sunt Limosus

12. #12 / 20
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Dude, Sev just made that same joke on my Facebook wall!

Join the Cult of RiskyBack...it's fun and the Kool Aid is YUMMY!

13. #13 / 20
    Thread Slayer Severene
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Sopapilla! I love those things! LoL!

BTW - I am NOT complaining. I am just trying to make the world a better place with more awesome suggestions.

14. #14 / 20
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Good point Ozy...I had just glanced at the co-sponsors, but you are correct.

15. #15 / 20
    Standard Member AdamN
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

It is actually really interesting what this bill can do... I have to say that the best explanation came from the head of reddit. He basically points out that the bill is aimed at non american sites but that the definition is so loose to include anybody without an american style extension....  .com .org .us or anyone who hosts their content on servers outside the us. The domain name can be permanently blocked by all search engines, all DNS servers, and all ISPs and that these people will be responsible for making sure your website links are never posted on their site again. Also advertisers would be forbidden from placing ads on your site and people like paypal would not be able to process payments for your site.

It is scary in the poorly defined and broad nature of the bill. A few things like DNS blocking will likely be dropped from the bill because the idea of wiping the fact that a site like Wargear ever existed from the internet is scary to conservative groups and liberal groups alike.

The idea of keeping copyrighted material or links to copyrighted material off a site like reddit, or youtube is simply a ridiculous idea based on the volume of links and videos and images on sites like these. Imagine Tom had to delete any link ever posted in a comment in any game public or private that led to an image that is under copyright. He would not only have to check if it was copyrighted but delete the link if it was, and insure that it was never posted again. 

As far as Wargear, Tom would have two choices, close the site or.... physically leave the country to avoid criminal prosecution and the government would still close the site. There isn't a page on Wargear that doesn't contain a copyright infringement and this law makes it Tom's job to insure that we own the image instead of requiring the copyright owner to request it be removed as it is now. 

Scary! I know that we have talked about this before but the law is very clear about the images we use in our avatars and boards. An image that you don't have explicit permission to use can't be used for any reason* without getting permission regardless if you get monetary gain or not. 

*There is the fair use clause but that is soo limited and requires that the use be limited to a tiny fraction of the item (think 4 words of a song, not an entire verse) and only when clearly attributed to the owner of the item and results in no financial gain for anyone.... Like say premium membership. 

This is intended for sampling, or say a review of a product, book, movie, or song. Even a little middle school chorus is required to pay royalties if they want to sing a copyrighted song at a concert and if it is a private school then there is even financial gain because the school charges for your kids to be in that chorus.

Ok... way too long a post but sum it up this way. Right now if someone complains and can prove they own an image that is on this site Tom has to take it down immediately. Simple and easy and that is it. This law passes and all bets are off, I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the court order. 

To give you an idea, this case is without Sopa and Pipa being passed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2087574/Richard-ODwyer-extradition-A-naive-British-student-facing-10-years-chains.html

Remember this gent had no content actually on his server, just links. Imagine what they would do with a stricter law. Take a minute to read information from somebody who is much more qualified than me and I would recommend making some phone calls or sending some emails to your Reps. 

Whew, I'm out of breath.

16. #16 / 20
    Standard Member Thingol
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

If you would just put the baby down while you type, you'd probably have a lot more stamina Adam.

17. #17 / 20
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Pick up that can!

In your Face!

18. #18 / 20
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

AttilaTheHun wrote:

At one point I thought WarGear servers were actually located in the U.S. on the East Coast, but that could be old (or just plain wrong).

19. #19 / 20
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep they are on the East Coast!

We'll just have to play WarGear without board images, no big deal. You'll just have to type in 'Attack 2 units D4 to E5'. It'll be just like the good old days of Battleship.

20. #20 / 20
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Yep they are on the East Coast!

We'll just have to play WarGear without board images, no big deal. You'll just have to type in 'Attack 2 units D4 to E5'. It'll be just like the good old days of Battleship.

..or every member could draw their own map over the coordinates.  See, ..it's not so bad.

It should be possible to play WG boards in real-time ..without the wait, regardless of how many are playing.
    https://sites.google.com/site/m57sengine/home

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)