219 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   123   (3 in total)
  1. #1 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

After completing 6 Scenarios for Gearsweeper here's my suggestions for Scenarios Enhancements (really just clean up IMO, as the overall functionality seemed to work great).

1. Easily get from Scenarios Board Designer back to Board Scenarios list.
    2. Ability to Import/Export/Copy/Restore Scenarios, super nice to have, especially Copy IMO, the others for safety.
    3. Ability/Requirement(?) to mark a Scenario as Default.  This Scenario is then the first in the list and compared to all other Scenarios.
    4. About Tab: Pull the Design Information table into the Scenarios tabs, so that information is presented there.  Allow a Board Description for the Base Board (like current) and also pull the individual Descriptions into each Scenario as well.
    5. Board Tab:  Have Scenario tabs if Board, Territories, Borders, Modifiers, or Continents are different from Default.
    6. Cards Tab: Have Scenario tabs if Card images are different from Default.
    7. Rules Tab: Have Scenario tabs if Rules are different from Default.  If different, then maybe Bold/Red Rules that are different from the Default.
    8. Create Game:  On the About tab if you have selected a Scenario, then default that one in when you click Create Game.  Auto select Default if none select or selected via Create Game tab.
    9. Fix bug where Board Name gets duplicated in Create Game board list.
    10. In My Games List the Board Name link takes you to the Scenario Board Page instead of the Base Board with all the Scenarios.  Or that's okay but Board Name should include Scenario name and then the Scenario Board Page should have a link to the Base Board somewhere.
    11. Ability to create Scenarios for other player's boards?  (Would probably entail a bigger discussion.)

I think that's all I got for now :)!

Thanks!

2. #2 / 43
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

All good points thanks Yertle. I'll get to that once the Simultaneous play is done.

3. #3 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'll go ahead and throw this in here, although seems like a bug to me.
    Updating the Settings tab on the Base Board doesn't appear to change much in the Scenarios. For example I created Scenarios that were all Locked in all areas and updated the base board to include Dual Layers and Custom Fog, yet none of that information was captured other than the Board image being updated (so the Scenarios are all still at Single Layer, although with the new Board image, and Default Fog image).

*edit* Eh, well, the images are actually attached to the Scenarios I guess, so once I changed the settings from Single to Dual Layers and from Default to Custom Fog the board showed correctly.

Edited Sun 26th Sep 22:46 [history]

4. #4 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Scenario names that are a bit longer in length get a scroll bar over the "Board Name [Scenario Name] v1.1" area that is next to the Settings/Design/Card/etc. buttons.

Check out WarGear Gear at the WarGear Zazzle Store!

5. #5 / 43
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:

I'll go ahead and throw this in here, although seems like a bug to me.
    Updating the Settings tab on the Base Board doesn't appear to change much in the Scenarios. For example I created Scenarios that were all Locked in all areas and updated the base board to include Dual Layers and Custom Fog, yet none of that information was captured other than the Board image being updated (so the Scenarios are all still at Single Layer, although with the new Board image, and Default Fog image).

*edit* Eh, well, the images are actually attached to the Scenarios I guess, so once I changed the settings from Single to Dual Layers and from Default to Custom Fog the board showed correctly.

Since this is related I will post here. 

The problem I just experience with seven was that when I went to add scenarios to the base board, I created two scenarios off of the old board.  On the first, called version 1, I left everything locked so that it would be exactly the base board (original) and changed two territory names in the base board, dice set to 1v1 and changed modifiers.  In version 2 (scenario 2), I unlocked rules and images and change things in both. 

When I released seven, the board image for version 1 was not there and the game that started between Raptor and sreg (see here: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/1133/Seven_Rereleased_%284_new_versions%29 ; post 10) was all messed up.  The four games on the various Scenarios all started and appeared correct.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

6. #6 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Looks like if there are multiple scenarios and the Starting Scenario or Cards match the base board Starting Scenario or Cards then they don't get a tab. Seems like they should.
    Examples:
    http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/New+World+Gear (No Default Starting Scenario/Cards tabs)
    http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Europa+2210 (No Default Starting Scenario/Cards tabs)

Yertle: I really don't know what we'd be doing if tom didn't start WG
    Yertle: scary to think about :p
    RiskyBack: You'd have more kids and I'd have a real job, probably

7. #7 / 43
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote: Looks like if there are multiple scenarios and the Starting Scenario or Cards match the base board Starting Scenario or Cards then they don't get a tab. Seems like they should.
    Examples:
    http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/New+World+Gear (No Default Starting Scenario/Cards tabs)
    http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/Europa+2210 (No Default Starting Scenario/Cards tabs)

Yup - fixed.

8. #8 / 43
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

So how do I promote a 2nd scenario to live?  When I hit promote it says that it is going to retire the other version and it won't let me change the name.  I want to get the multi player version of Force Unleased to live.

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen to my answer.

Where's Hugh?

9. #9 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ok, I just figured it out and now I am upset because I made a whole new version of the map rather than creating a new scenario.  If there isn't a way to copy the version to scenario than I am releasing it as a whole new map.

Sorry Yertle, I know you like scenarios but I like less work

Where's Hugh?

10. #10 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

Ok, I just figured it out and now I am upset because I made a whole new version of the map rather than creating a new scenario.  If there isn't a way to copy the version to scenario than I am releasing it as a whole new map.

Sorry Yertle, I know you like scenarios but I like less work

Right workflow is New Version then add two scenarios, your Default 1vs1 and then the 4 player one.  A scenario can't be added to a version on the user side, perhaps tom could tie them together, of course you would want to do the default one too.

11. #11 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Ok, I don't understand that and I am now confused.  I have another version made, can I copy that to a scenario in the original map or am I just screwed (and not in a good way).

Where's Hugh?

12. #12 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

I have another version made, can I copy that to a scenario in the original map

No, you can't.  You would have to recreate under a Scenario of version 2.0.

You would also have to create a 1vs1 Scenario under version 2.0 too.

Really, if you have 1 Scenario you should probably have 2 Scenarios (Default and "Special").

I'll actually work on a Help page here soon for this too.

Man, wish there was a chat system here...BAHAHAHHA {#emotions_dlg.rofl}

13. #13 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

So now you are telling me that I have to remake both maps just to add 1 scenario to an existing map?  That seems "Fishy" to me

Where's Hugh?

14. #14 / 43
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

RiskyBack wrote:

So now you are telling me that I have to remake both maps just to add 1 scenario to an existing map?  That seems "Fishy" to me

So take Pluto 2210 for example.  I created the board and added the regular territories/borders/continents/etc.  Then when I wanted to add a single Scenario I really had to add 2 scenarios, one for the Default (existing) and one for Slug.  When I added the Default, everything got copied over from the existing board so that one is essentially completed just by adding a Scenario called Default.  When I added Slug, everything also got copied over from the existing board but I then unlocked rules/images and changed what I wanted to for the Slug scenario.

If I had just added Slug then I wouldn't have the default version.  So to have only 1 Scenario for a board is pretty silly*.   So you won't have to remake both maps, but you will need 2 scenarios.

Does that help/make sense?

* silly unless you want the thumbnail/preview on the Boards page to be different than your actual board image, ie Cumberdale's Mortal Fishbat on WF.

15. #15 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

We'll see how I am feeling tomorrow.  I don't want to redo the borders on the multiplayer map because it is a lot of cris crossing and I get confused easily.

Where's Hugh?

16. #16 / 43
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

How about I set up the scenario export / import? That way you can export from your old board and import into a new scenario.

17. #17 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Sure if someone can then explain to me how to do that

Where's Hugh?

18. #18 / 43
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'm just updating the code now.

Edited Thu 2nd Dec 11:27 [history]

19. #19 / 43
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Was this done yet?  I copied the XML or whatever and then tried to import it as a scenario but it said thta I had to be the designer to add a scenario.  Either I've been replaced or something is wrong.

Where's Hugh?

20. #20 / 43
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

So the steps are:

1. Export XML from the separate 4 player board
    2. Create a new scenario under the existing board
    3. Import the XML into the new scenario

Is that what you're doing?