1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   123456   (6 in total)
  1. #1 / 105
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

This thread is specifically for enhancement requests for the forums. So far I have:

Titles
    Ability to add a Signature
    Add smilies to quickpost area
    Upload images to forums
    Add the Icons to the main Forum home page

2. #2 / 105
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

more importantly (IMO) is to fix the jump to first unread post button (button is there, but only goes to first post on last page) and the unread/read indications on the Forum List...

3. #3 / 105
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

It might not be too late to reconsider the decision to roll your own forums instead of including and styling standard phpBB forums.

Or it might be too late, in which case I second weathertop.

4. #4 / 105
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: It might not be too late to reconsider the decision to roll your own forums instead of including and styling standard phpBB forums.

no idea what you meant by this but i like this part

in which case I second weathertop

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Edited Mon 16th Nov 00:17 [history]

5. #5 / 105
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I did consider that but the problem with going with phpBB (or similar off the shelf forum s/ware) is I am left with the following options:

1. Separate login / look & feel for forums vs main site (horrible!)

2. Go with phpBB's authentication system - in which case the whole site has to depend on phpBB for authentication, user management, user signup etc etc etc. Huge amount of customisation work involved in getting the right look and feel to ensure it doesn't end up looking like a phpBB portal. Net result: complete dependency on phpBB and if I want to switch to another system I'd have to maintain a “closed” PhpBB installation just to keep the login system.

3. Retain the existing site authentication system and try and re-engineer phpBB to use it so that players don't have to log in twice. Huge amount of work again as phpBB session / authentication is pretty highly developed and will probably mean I'll never be able to upgrade phpBB without breaking something.

So rolling my own forums is definitely a PITA but it does bring benefits with total integration into the site being the main one. At a later stage I can add cool things like being able to embed games into forum threads so people can comment on how a game is going within the forums for example.

ps weathertop I am going to fix that problem, honest!

6. #6 / 105
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

np tom, like i said before, i'm astounded at the work you're doing. i figured i'd just make sure it was on the list as i didn't see it.

BTW love having the forum directory at the bottom of the page!

Edited Mon 16th Nov 10:02 [history]

7. #7 / 105
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Icons of Sticky threads aren't getting updated when they have a new message.

8. #8 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: I did consider that but the problem with going with phpBB (or similar off the shelf forum s/ware) is I am left with the following options:

1. Separate login / look & feel for forums vs main site (horrible!)

2. Go with phpBB's authentication system - in which case the whole site has to depend on phpBB for authentication, user management, user signup etc etc etc. Huge amount of customisation work involved in getting the right look and feel to ensure it doesn't end up looking like a phpBB portal. Net result: complete dependency on phpBB and if I want to switch to another system I'd have to maintain a “closed” PhpBB installation just to keep the login system.

3. Retain the existing site authentication system and try and re-engineer phpBB to use it so that players don't have to log in twice. Huge amount of work again as phpBB session / authentication is pretty highly developed and will probably mean I'll never be able to upgrade phpBB without breaking something.

So rolling my own forums is definitely a PITA but it does bring benefits with total integration into the site being the main one. At a later stage I can add cool things like being able to embed games into forum threads so people can comment on how a game is going within the forums for example.

ps weathertop I am going to fix that problem, honest!

I have been convinced.  I haven't had to poke around the phpBB code in a long time, but I do remember it being rather annoying at the time =]

9. #9 / 105
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Question, why does Firefox do the spell check with the text in Quick Reply window, but not with the text in the Full Editor page?

10. #10 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

There is a spellcheck=false in the code for that element.

Although I'm not sure Fx would check it without this, I think it only does spellchecking on textareas and other input boxes. The Full Editor is not one of these elements.

11. #11 / 105
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

I'll enable this.

12. #12 / 105
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Any chance we can get a "Mark all as read" button? It's been a while since I've visited the forums and my obsessive-compulsive nature is leading me to read a bunch of threads I don't necessarily care about because they "aren't read yet".

13. #13 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

You mean like this one? You must... read...... me.........

14. #14 / 105
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote: You mean like this one? You must... read...... me.........

how'd you get it so that this thread now always looks like there's something new? man that just bugs the crap out of me

ooo and i posted in 2010!! wish i'd have memory of that year, could make some good money!

Edited Thu 19th Nov 01:47 [history]

15. #15 / 105
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Sorry was a vestige of a dodgy way I was using to stick threads... should be fine now.

16. #16 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

lol that was a coincidence.

I'm still seeing posts marked as unread that were previously read with no new messages, most from days ago.

Most of these threads will not unmark themselves as new if I click on them.

Every post before:

Friend coloration
    by asm on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:57 pm

..is marked as having new messages, except for a single post from 10 days ago:

Congratulations. Your new game has been created.
    by Yertle on Mon Nov 09, 2009 08:49 am

I'm not really bothered by it, it's probably just an artifact of the code changes for the forum.  Newer threads seem to be working OK.

Edit: except for this one.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with the edits.

Edited Thu 19th Nov 03:36 [history]

17. #17 / 105
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

yeah i ran into that too. i'm guessing that when tom was playing most everything got set to 'unread'. i clicked on each and went back in and that reset them all to 'read' - except for the couple threads on each list that refuse to get rid of the 'unread' indication (for example on this Suggestion Box list:
    Forums Suggestions by Yertle on Thu Nov 12, 2009 09:26 am.
    Enhancements List by Wallace Wishmaster on Sun Nov 15, 2009 05:32 am
    Ranking system by Hugh on Tue Nov 17, 2009 05:00 am
    and this thread!)

18. #18 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Animated images for your profile/forum avatar we're working before but aren't any more.

19. #19 / 105
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Goddamit! I keep falling for it! This thread never acknowledges that I've read all the posts, and everytime I come on here it's blue and I check it.

Maybe leaving this message will clear that up.

20. #20 / 105
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Nope, still here. I'm sure there are lots of bugs to work on.. but this is rising to the top of my personal list of things that are really, really annoying.* I mean the unread post thing in general, not just this post.

*Come to think of it that list only includes this.

Edited Sat 21st Nov 21:04 [history]

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   123456   (6 in total)