2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 4
    Standard Member ozjosh
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn
    Unranked

Unless I'm missing something, everytime you start a new game the computer places all your armies for you. I would like to be be able to place my own units (like how it was in Attack! on facebook, or regular risk).

If I am missing something and you are able to do that could you please let me know where that setting is?

Thanks!

2. #2 / 4
    Colonel M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

This is a designer feature. Board designers pretty much have total control over starting scenarios. Currently, the way WarGear is set up, there can only be one starting scenario, and designers find that automatic placement is the quickest, easiest, and most fair option. There are exceptions, but in each case there is only one starting scenario.

I'm pretty sure that tom will be working on the option for the creation of "mods" in the future, but I don't know how high that is on his priority list. There are a whole host of problems associated with the inclusion of mods. Some of the big ones are:

• Do they apply to all, some, or none of the ratings?
    • Who is allowed to mod?

Even if you are thinking that army placement should be an "option" and not a mod, a lot of the above questions still apply. Some boards might literally be "broken" (I.e., become unplayable or unfinishable) if the designers starting scenario is not used.

On the other hand, there is a "fog" option that can be toggled off by the designer. I see no reason that something similar couldn't be created for placement, but I have no idea how much work would be involved in implementing it. Tom has a lot on his plate.

..but we won't be happy until there is a "barren" designer feature.
    Edited Wed 30th Jun 10:17 [history]

3. #3 / 4
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

You could ask a designer to make a basic world map with that option turned on, or attempt it yourself. That may be the quickest route.

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

4. #4 / 4
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

ozjosh wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, everytime you start a new game the computer places all your armies for you. I would like to be be able to place my own units (like how it was in Attack! on facebook, or regular risk).

If I am missing something and you are able to do that could you please let me know where that setting is?

Thanks!

Depending on a rule, Unit placement in the Starting Scenario section, determines whether you get to place your armies at the start of the game or if they are placed automatically.  This rule is set by the board designer and is not currently available to be customized on a per game basis. 

Most boards have this set to Automatic so that the units are just evenly distributed to the player territories since this is quicker to get to the actual game, although some have them set to Simultaneous which all players place all their units at the same time (I'll plug my own boards here since they were the quickest examples: Mars 2210 and Planet Yertle (this one has Simultaneous Territory selection as well)), there is also a Turn Based setting to where each player places 1 unit then the next player places 1 unit and so on, but I don't think any board has this (as it can take a really long time to get the game started).

For more information on the these Rules check out the Starting Scenario sections of the Rules Help Page.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)