1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Spiffy!

So does the Circles option fix the big ugly overdrawing of massive amounts of borders?

2. #2 / 12
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I hope so, nice work Tom.

asm: I have no earthly clue what you're talking about

3. #3 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Looks like it could also help out boards with territories that are so close together that the arrows draw on top of the unit counts.

4. #4 / 12
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep it's for Arcade style boards (e.g. Darts, Risky Vaders etc) that have lots of close together borders or fortify to all owned territory option enabled.

It's part of a bunch of improvements that were supposed to go out yesterday but I discovered a bug which I need to fix first (not in this bit though!). Will announce later.

5. #5 / 12
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Would it be possible to show artillery borders differently that regular attack borders in the player?
    I was thinking that artillery attacks could have an arching arrow if arrows are used. With the circle option, we could have an "X" mark territories that can be attack with an artillery style attack.

asm: I have no earthly clue what you're talking about

6. #6 / 12
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's a bit tricky... curved arrows are mathematically a lot more challenging for arbitrary points and for close together territories they are going to be difficult to distinguish.

Also for Circle borders where would the X go? Can't obscure the target territory unit count for usability reasons.

7. #7 / 12
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote: It's a bit tricky... curved arrows are mathematically a lot more challenging for arbitrary points and for close together territories they are going to be difficult to distinguish.

For an arch, you can use a sin curve, but I am not sure how you have things implemented currently.  Here are my thoughts:

For connecting two points (a,b) to (c,d), to get a line you can use

(x,y) = (a + t(c-a), b + t(d-c))  0 <= t <= 1

For connecting two points (a,b) to (c,d), to get a arch, you can use

(x,y) = (a + t(c-a), 25sin(t * pi) + b + t(d-c) )  0 <= t <= 1

For both I am thinking of (x,y), (a,b), and (c,d) as pixel locations on a graphic.  I am not sure how the curve will look, but it will be arched.  The 25 may need to be modified to be in terms of distance between (a,b) and (c,d) to look more uniform on a map.  I can play with this if you think it will work.

tom wrote: Also for Circle borders where would the X go? Can't obscure the target territory unit count for usability reasons.

The X would go inside the circle (like the x-men symbol).  I am not sure this would be ideal as it would cover up the number of units there, but I don't see that as a huge issue.  Since this may be undesirable, some other designation could be used.

Separate question, with the circle only option, do they pick up the green (better than standard attack) and red (worse than standard attack) modifiers?

Edited Wed 23rd Jun 15:56 [history]

8. #8 / 12
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I think just implementing the same sort of Board information in the Flash Player that is on the Board info pages (buttons for Normal/Artillery/Attack/Fortify/View) could be sufficient.

9. #9 / 12
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

okay, that works as well.

10. #10 / 12
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I like the circle borders, except now I can't get the mouseover tooltip to show the modifiers like I could when I put the mouse over a border. Could that functionality be preserved in some manner? Thanks!

11. #11 / 12
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Tricky one again as where should it be shown? It's still there in that it's displayed at the bottom of the attack box but it's not as accessible. The Red / green highlight colors show whether the defender or attacker have the advantage as before. It could maybe be added to the target territory Tooltip.

12. #12 / 12
    Standard Member Norseman
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Either the target territory tooltip or the tooltip for the circle itself (not sure if this is possible) would work. I agree that starting an attack works in most cases, but sometimes I like to see the attack modifiers from a territory I don't control. Thanks!

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)