221 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   12   (2 in total)
  1. #21 / 38
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It would be different, and I'm not sure in a good way. The game is almost explicitly designed to encourage one player to grab a corner - if you have a player on each team on each corner, I think you're going to end up with a lot of 1-on-1 stalemates on each corner, depending on who has better dice rolls and starting positions on each corner.

asm wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

2. #22 / 38
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

I don't know, I think a 4v4v4v4 might work. One person in each section... That way, each player is fighting for their own section, but can be helped via the exits. I wonder if Wizard v Fighter v Valkyrie v Elf would work...

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

3. #23 / 38
    Standard Member RiskyBack
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'll do that once Team Scenarios are available. I think I have it worked out where everyone would have a different character but no one player would have an advantage in more maps than another. We'll find that out in testing.

Cobra Commander + Larry - Mo * Curly = RiskyBack

4. #24 / 38
    Standard Member Vataro
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

You know you can sign me up for any and all testing on this map. ;)

Give a man fire and he's warm for a day... but set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

5. #25 / 38
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Risky, I am having a blast playing this map (only partly due to the fact I"ve finally gotten the hang of the rules and am racking up some wins).  Ever think about designing a sequel?

6. #26 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I'm not exactly sure what I would do for a sequel on it.  I could make other mazes for it and different scenarios and such but I'm not really into doing that sort of thing.  Once we have team settings available in scenarios I will make a 4v4 version, a 2v2 version and perhaps even an 8v8 or whatever other combinations I can think of.

I'm really glad you like the map.  I must say I am surprised how popular it has become.  I thought it was good but I really thought it would only appeal to a small portion of the players but since it is my most played Non-dueling map I guess I am wrong.  Of course, Dr. Horrible's Risk vs Reward map still has more games played on it and that map is a piece of crap!

Where's Hugh?

7. #27 / 38
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Just finished playing a series of 4 games against BlackDog, Seige, and Oatworm...Thyra didn't win a single match.

8. #28 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

You played 4 games of Gauntlet against BlackDog, seige07 and Oatty?  Why didn't you just glue your had to the door frame of the refigerator and continuously slam the door for a few hours?

Where's Hugh?

9. #29 / 38
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Didn't turn out as badly as you think.  I won 2, BD and Seige both won 1

10. #30 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I

Hate

This

Map!

Where's Hugh?

11. #31 / 38
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

The red-headed stepchild of Riskyback's family...

12. #32 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

It totally is but not because I am horrible at it but more because other people like it.

Where's Hugh?

13. #33 / 38
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Why create a map for nobody to like?

14. #34 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I dunno but I do it a lot!

As the guys from Myster Science Theater 3000 say:

"It doesn't matter if everyone gets it, it matters if the right people get it"

Where's Hugh?

15. #35 / 38
    Standard Member Gimli
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Rsiky should bring "the Gauntlet" that was on ToS. Had lots of continents, and not a billion borders... the big ones were attainable and holdable. And it had a unique look.

Beheadings are free for all Elves!

16. #36 / 38
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

I know you liked it but it was a circle map and as much as I have tired I have never been able to figure out another way to make that map.  I've tried a lot over the past few years and have just never been able to do it right.  Paths always look bad and inserting icons makes it too busy.

Yes, I could recreate with circles but I can't bring myself to do that.  Sorry

Where's Hugh?

17. #37 / 38
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I'm also guessing the fact Gimli likes the map will prevent Risky from making it again :)

18. #38 / 38
    Standard Member Oatworm
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Thyra is tricky, takes a fair amount of work, and it helps if someone (usually Questor but it doesn't have to be) falls asleep at the wheel/has some seriously terrible dice throws/goes after Thyra (pick 2). They're basically a spoiler more often than not.

I tried a few things differently with the group, figuring that traditional, "predictable" strategies would be easily stopped. It turns out the only thing easier to stop than a "predictable" strategy on that board is most of the rest of them, though you guys did illustrate a new way or two to play Thor that I hadn't thought of. Of course, it didn't help that, when I played Merlin, I usually started in the lower-left since Thor usually pushes lower-right and I didn't want to have someone jamming units in front of me on a regular basis (it's not just about clearing your square - it's about clearing your square faster than the other guy), so the idea of Thor pushing lower-left never crossed my mind. Imagine my surprise when I push that direction with Merlin and immediately get punked. {#emotions_dlg.eek}

asm and RiskyBack wrote:
    I... can't find anything wrong with this line of reasoning...

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   12   (2 in total)