2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1234   (4 in total)
  1. #61 / 71
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

Flex is a framework which sits on top of Flash so it won't work on iDevices.

Now for the second question that's out of my league...is there a way to fake or bounce this stuff so that it will work on iDevices?  I ask because I'm now on a team that is web based and uses all Flex, in which they have a way of the web page working iDevices without a complete/second re-write.

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

2. #62 / 71
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Yertle wrote:
    tom wrote:

Flex is a framework which sits on top of Flash so it won't work on iDevices.

Now for the second question that's out of my league...is there a way to fake or bounce this stuff so that it will work on iDevices?  I ask because I'm now on a team that is web based and uses all Flex, in which they have a way of the web page working iDevices without a complete/second re-write.

I'm slightly curious about this...although I should probably just ask the guys at work...and since I should probably know it :P

Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

3. #63 / 71
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:

You may have noticed a slowdown in the frequency of updates recently - this is because I've started work on a pure JavaScript version of the player. This will allow WarGear to be played on practically any device with a web browser (esp. those which don't support Flash like iDevices).

Will one of these players be the 'primary' player?  Are they going to be identical?  When new features are added to the player will they get added to both the flash & javascript versions?

4. #64 / 71
    Hey....Nice Marmot BorisTheFrugal
    Rank
    Captain
    Rank Posn

Raptor wrote:

I can test Android 2.3.4, IE (7,8,9), Mozilla, Chrome and Wii with my devices.  Count me in.

I can test almost all the same list as Raptor, with the exception of Chrome, and with the addition of IPad.
    If you need volunteers, feel free to add me the list as well.

5. #65 / 71
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I now have an ipad and am willing to join in.

Never Start Vast Projects With Half Vast Ideas.

6. #66 / 71
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:
    tom wrote:

You may have noticed a slowdown in the frequency of updates recently - this is because I've started work on a pure JavaScript version of the player. This will allow WarGear to be played on practically any device with a web browser (esp. those which don't support Flash like iDevices).

Will one of these players be the 'primary' player?  Are they going to be identical?  When new features are added to the player will they get added to both the flash & javascript versions?

Initially it will just be for mobile devices. However assuming the functionality of the JS player can match that of the Flash player at some point the Flash player will be dropped as it doesn't make sense to maintain 2 separate code bases.

7. #67 / 71
    Standard Member AttilaTheHun
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Will the look and feel of the player be noticeably different?  I don't know much about the coding bases but I recall that on ToS there was an option to use the standard or HTML.  The HTML option reloaded the image after each move and wasn't too fun.

"If an incompetent chieftain is removed, seldom do we appoint his highest-ranking subordinate to his place" - Attila the Hun

8. #68 / 71
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

^ "...wasn't too fun" that should be changed to "ridiculously horrible" :)

9. #69 / 71
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

No it won't be like that - I've worked out how to make the JS player act like the Flash version in terms of no page reloads required during moves. In fact it should be quicker and less resource intensive than the flash player, particularly noticeable is the quick load times.

Rest assured it won't replace the Flash version until all the functionality is there and it is superior to the Flash version.

10. #70 / 71
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

11. #71 / 71
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Yep interesting going to try it out - I've suspended work on the JS player to fix a few outstanding issues - currently working on the tournament tie-breaking update.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1234   (4 in total)