215 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I'm working on a 1v1 turn-based American Gladiators map, which is proving difficult to determine whether or not it is balanced.  I think it may be just about balanced now, but would like more opinions before I submit a potentially flawed board to be reviewed.  I have released it for open beta testing and would appreciate it if some other people played it and let me know what they think.

Thanks!

http://www.wargear.net/games/create?boardid=918&devmode=true

http://www.wargear.net/boards/view/918/

2. #2 / 8
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

That looks familiar!

It's a trap!

3. #3 / 8
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

Yeah, it was a bust on WF, but it has some potential here.

4. #4 / 8
    Pop. 1, Est. 1981 Alpha
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I liked the map, but am not sure that there is an effective strategy to play and in our games, it was over rather quickly which is good and bad, but it seemed that a win was determined by luck (choice of attacks by the gun and luck of the dice on those attacks). I suspect that am I missing something and would like to know what others have found.

5. #5 / 8
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

So far it seems that the victories are split just about evenly down the center between challenger and gladiator. There are some varying and distinct strategies, which are mainly dictated by the challenger. If the challenger does one thing, it affects how the gladiator can play. The challenger has to balance spreading out, keeping a bomb, and taking out neutrals. There's a lot of leeway between those options. There are also ways you can predict what the gunner might do and try to counteract the moves. It seems just about even, I'm nearly ready to submit it.

6. #6 / 8
    Deceit by Design Wallace Wishmaster
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Here are a few issues that I can see.  No solution ideas yet but I thought I'd at least post them for discussion.

1. If the gladiator guesses incorrectly on the first turn and the challenger has decent rolls, the challenger will win on turn 2.  Losing due to luck is always disappointing.
    2. The gladiator gets multiple free attacks because the UI does not count artillery attacks against empty territories (returns an error).  This gives the gladiator a serious advantage once the neutrals have been removed (turn 2 or 3).
    3. A challenger can spread units and stay alive indefinitely due to the 3 attack limit.  For example, if I have 3 territories with 1 unit each, I will get a bonus of +3.  I will then occupy 6 territories.  Due to #2, the gladiator will kill 3 of them, but I will be left with 3.  I will never win, but I could make the game eternal.
    I think the concept is good but a few steps back may be required to make this one stick.  

Edited Thu 6th May 15:41 [history]

7. #7 / 8
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Wallace Wishmaster wrote:
    The gladiator gets multiple free attacks because the UI does not count artillery attacks against empty territories (returns an error).  This gives the gladiator a serious advantage once the neutrals have been removed (turn 2 or 3).

In regards to number 2: http://www.wargear.net/forum/showthread/603/Artillery_Borders_+_Fog

8. #8 / 8
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

It does need some work. I'm going to step away for a bit and come back... as I have for the last few years.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)