2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 7
    Standard Member milopalmer
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Hey Community,

I couldn't find anything discussing the iPad.  I am wondering if there is any interest or plan to make WarGear iPad/iPhone compatible?  Since we know Apple isn't likely to budge on Flash anytime soon, I'd guess the player has to be partially re-written.  Although I hear that Adobe has or is realeasing soon a Adobe Air to iPhone OS converter.

Anyways, would love to hear any thoughts.  It's an amazing community that could definitely benefit from more players.

Ben

2. #2 / 7
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

From what I understand, an entirely new application would have to be written for the game to be supported by the iPhone/Pad.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

3. #3 / 7
    They see me rollin' IRoll11s
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

Nobody is discussing the iPad because it's not that time of the month.

While that sinks in, you are correct that the player would have to be partially re-written if by partially you mean 'completely'.

Add on top of that the fact that even if tom decided to invest the time and resources to produce an iPhone/iPad application there would be no guarantee that it would be approved by Steve Job's cadre of trained application flunking monkeys.

Please note that despite the deprecating 'humor' in the above sentence I actually have nothing against the iPad/iPhone. I also don't officially speak for the site even though I'm important enough that you should believe everything I say. It's just that I seriously doubt this will make the list of things to do in the short to medium term future.

Heck even the admin on TOS (That Other Site) who was into iPhone apps decided to make an iPhone app with an elf that slid around in his underwear or something instead of making something to play games on his site.

-John Hancock-
    Edited Fri 2nd Apr 00:27 [history]

4. #4 / 7
    Major General asm asm is offline now
    Standard Member asm
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

IRoll11s wrote:
    an elf that slid around in his underwear or something instead of making something to play games on his site.

+1?
    ftw?
    What's the proper Internets acronym here?

It's a trap!

5. #5 / 7
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

The problem is that Apple are locked in an ideological war with Adobe over Flash. So they're refusing to port Flash to the iPhone and presumably the iPad.

I'd actually love to do an iPhone version of the Flash Player, I think it could be huge for the site but it would likely be a 6 month project just by itself, potentially the AIR convertor could speed up this process but it would still be a lot of work.

The other option is to do an HTML5 version of the player as this is supported natively by the iPhone but again this would be a huge amount of work. Potentially this is where the site needs to go in the future when HTML5 becomes more widely supported.

6. #6 / 7
    Moderator...ish. Cramchakle
    Rank
    Private
    Rank Posn

hahahahahaha!

silly i things.

...danger zone...!

7. #7 / 7
    Standard Member milopalmer
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

Dang. Well I will continue dreaming. Hopefully Apple and Adobe will kiss and make-up... although I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the replies.

Ben

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)