229 Open Daily games
2 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 9
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I want to add several duel scenarios to Invention. The first is mostly ready, but might not be completely balanced. I'd love it if some of the players here who are familiar with Invention would give it a try and see what you think. I am attempting to make this scenario relatively historically accurate, but that has constrained the design in ways that will require certain tactics/strategies.

The first scenario is based on the Cold War, and will probably be named "Advanced Duel - Cold War" or something like that to help indicate the expectation of seasoned players.

Here is the board/scenario:

https://www.wargear.net/boards/view/9621

The initial placement of the territories is based on this map:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cold_War_alliances_mid-1975.svg

Other than the initial setup, the only difference between this and the "Default" Invention scenario is the removal of the multi-capital bonuses (normally you get extra units and extra tech units for having more than one capital, but that made this duel scenario too swingy).

I have played a few games against Cona Chris and he can beat me pretty handily from either side, so I know it's relatively balanced, but I'm open to further feedback. Games go quick, so please play at least 2 games before you make any decisions.

Green (China/Russia), starts with only one capital, but with a lot more units, and they always go first. They probably need to take one of the other capitals within the first 3 turns to have much of a chance, but if they do, then they are probably favored to win.

Some things to consider as you play:

1. Does either side have an equal chance to win?
    2. If Green takes a 2nd capital in the first 3 rounds, are they almost certain to win, or does Yellow have a chance to come back?
    3. Are DC/London/Johannesburg all possible targets for Green to take, are some much less/more likely than others?
    4. Is there a way to make luck have less of a role?

Once I get this done, I think the other duel scenarios will go quickly & need little testing. They should be:

1. Cold War Random - 3rd world countries start random instead of neutral.
    2. US/UK vs. China/Africa - Same rules as ColdWar, but initial setup like Default
    3. US/China vs. UK/Africa - Same rules as ColdWar, but initial setup like Default
    4. US/Africa vs. China/UK - Same rules as ColdWar, but initial setup like Default

If you start games, please post in this thread to get others to join, and then please come back here to share your thoughts once you've played a few games.

Edited Thu 31st Aug 13:16 [history]

2. #2 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

upon reviewing the cold war map, I realize now that turkey & Iran should be USA aligned. It probably won't change things much if I make them 1s for USA.

3. #3 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Made the changes to have Iran, Iraq and Turkey to be USA aligned, and a few other small initial setup tweaks to balance that out.

4. #4 / 9
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

If you are still testing, you can invite me. I'd like to play.

5. #5 / 9
    Something fun Litotes
    Rank
    Lieutenant General
    Rank Posn

I'm happy to be invited

6. #6 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Thanks Korrun & Litotes! I would definitely like to get both of your opinions. If possible though, I'd prefer you start the games and invite each other. I am already in 4 games and can't keep track of many others. Plus I really need to see how other (i.e. better than me) players handle it to see if it's balanced. I'd much rather watch you two play each other than invite you to play against me.

The game is in 'public beta', so you should be able to click the link to create a game, and then just either invite each other, or create a public game and post the link here for others to join. I know that Cona Chris is also willing to play, so you could invite him if you wanted. If you create a game, please post links to the games here so I can follow along.

If you don't want to do this, let me know and I will create a game and invite you, because I do want to hear your opinions, but I'd rather just watch instead of playing.

7. #7 / 9
    Standard Member Korrun
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

8. #8 / 9
    Premium Member Livia
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

9. #9 / 9
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I think I'm pretty much ready to release, although I might have some minor tweaks once I get a chance to see further games being played. Two release-candidate games that I want to get through just to make sure my latest updates didn't break anything;

https://www.wargear.net/games/join/81407122

https://www.wargear.net/games/join/81407123

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)