1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 8
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Brilliant map, btw.

However, the whole point of invention is the spicy upgrades that you can buy for yourself. Rocketing to a fun start with the huge bonuses given the default game mode gets right into the fun action.

In the barbarian game mode, it just becomes a rather standard map. I genuinely don't see the appeal.

2. #2 / 8
    Prime Amidon37
    Rank
    General
    Rank Posn

Sometimes people want to play on a basic world map.

3. #3 / 8
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I also prefer non-barbarians scenarios.

If people just want to play on the invention world map, they can play the 'simple worlds' map which is basically the same, but more options for scenarios. I think it's more that people want to play invention with more than 4 people. Most barbarian maps I'm in I think at least one capital gets taken before the map is over.

4. #4 / 8
    Premium Member Rictuar
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Ozyman wrote:I also prefer non-barbarians scenarios.

If people just want to play on the invention world map, they can play the 'simple worlds' map which is basically the same, but more options for scenarios. I think it's more that people want to play invention with more than 4 people. Most barbarian maps I'm in I think at least one capital gets taken before the map is over.

i agree with this.

if i had infinite time, I would generate a map called "n-players invention", where each scenario is a world map designed for n players. probably symmetric.

5. #5 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

>if i had infinite time, I would generate a map called "n-players invention", where each scenario is a world map designed for n players. probably symmetric.

How do you imagine it with more than 4 players? Each person needs a capital. Are you imagining a world with a lot more territories? If I made the map bigger I could maybe put capitals in SA and Aus...

I guess in theory I could make it 3x as big, and split things up so that e.g. canada had it's own capital and tech tree. I don't think I'd ever have the time to do something that complicated though, and the map would be huge.

Actually simplest thing would be to just make two copies of the world and have a 'parallel dimension'. That would allow up to 8 players. Could be fun, but would still be a lot of work to put together.

6. #6 / 8
    Standard Member SpyYoshiRv
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Rank Posn

People sometimes don't like the whole 4 player max that Default limits you to.

Barbarians has a host of brand new strategies that are different from the standard, and you can determine if the capital can help or break your game. After all, owning it is a double-edged sword, high risk high reward.

7. #7 / 8
    Standard Member BTdubs
    Rank
    Colonel
    Rank Posn

Rictuar wrote:Brilliant map, btw.

However, the whole point of invention is the spicy upgrades that you can buy for yourself. Rocketing to a fun start with the huge bonuses given the default game mode gets right into the fun action.

In the barbarian game mode, it just becomes a rather standard map. I genuinely don't see the appeal.

I beg to differ.

This game would not be possible on any board but barbarians:

https://www.wargear.net/games/view/81368647" target="_blank"> https://www.wargear.net/games/view/81368647

I dunno if other players had alliances but I had none.

I was weak. I bided my time.

I used the tarnation out of those fancy bonuses to clinch it, and my biggest strategic concerns were about the other players’ potential use of the big bonuses.

On a standard map I would either lose here or the game would bog down and grind on for weeks with player balancing against the stronger force.

Players familiar with Invention will need to rethink their approach— it is not the same on Barbarians.

You certainly can play this as a conventional board, but there are many hugely powerful endgames available that a standard map does not have.

8. #8 / 8
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

gg - thanks for sharing.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)