216 Open Daily games
3 Open Realtime games
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 6
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Apologies for my occasional 'musings of a non-board designer." My kid is finishing up the Harry Potter series, and I wonder if any of you have thought of making a HP themed board?

Capitals would be an excellent tool for mimicking Voldemort's 7 Horcruxes. Not sure of the map layout, but the horcrux element would be neat. An Order of the Phoenix, Dumbledores Army, HP, HG, and RW (good guys) vs. Death Eaters, Beasts, and Dark Lord (bad guys) thing could work. 1 v 1 or 2 team approach could be fun.

Are there copyright issues to worry about?

Well, thanks for humoring me.

2. #2 / 6
    Shelley, not Moore Ozyman
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

I've thought about it, but there is other IP I'm more interested on working on, also we're only on Order of the Phoenix...

3. #3 / 6
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

Are there copyright issues to worry about?

Other than use of graphics, there are none that I'm aware of. To my knowledge, no designer here has ever had any problems with copyright issues. If there has ever been any, they would have been directed at admin (designers and players here are all but anonymous and they don't see any profits for their contributions); so my guess is that in the face of a cease and desist, Tom would simply pull the board as discreetly as possible. More likely ..this site isn't worth the trouble to go after. I'm pretty sure there have been threads here about the subject.

Edited Tue 14th Mar 05:48 [history]

4. #4 / 6
    Brigadier General M57 M57 is offline now
    Standard Member M57
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

..I'm actually thinking about designing a Hansa Teutonica map. I think the layout of that board might lend itself very nicely to risk-style play.

Edited Tue 14th Mar 05:52 [history]

5. #5 / 6
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

copyright isn't usually an issue here (i try to give credits to the artist(s) if using their graphics); and there are plenty of themes here that could potentially be slapped. but we don't market and don't profit so we really aren't worth going after. *crossesfingers* *knocksonwood*

now that you mention it, i'm surprised a HP one hasn't been made yet.

I'm a man.
    But I can change,
    if I have to,
    I guess...

6. #6 / 6
    Premium Member Spider
    Rank
    Lieutenant
    Rank Posn

Thanks for the feedback, gang. It's a 'mystery' to some of us how you put these fantastic boards together for us to play on, which is very much appreciated.

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)