218 Open Daily games
1 Open Realtime game
    Pages:   1   (1 in total)
  1. #1 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

I've seen this in the Board Designer tool, but now I'm seeing it in a game.  View the Border From a Hose in this game http://www.wargear.net/games/player/9883 a big thing (I dunno what to call it :P) is drawn out from the Hose.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Seek Yours Today. Get Uncomfortable.

2. #2 / 11
    Commander In Chief tom tom is offline now
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Ugh. Very odd... must be something to do with having so many borders drawn on top of each other.

3. #3 / 11
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

Just been discussing this with EN.

I think the border arrow visual works well when you have a traditional map where borders tend to only be between neighboring territories. For designs like this one where there are territories which can attack every other border the display becomes confusing and it's hard to select the target territory.

I think the best way around this is to have the designer select between two different display options for borders, one the border arrow and the other have the territories highlight but don't display the border.

4. #4 / 11
    Premium Member Toaster
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

What if the arrows didn't span the entire length from one to the other?

So, you'd have the attackable territory highlighted and a small-shafted arrow (10 pixels or so?) pointing to it from the direction of the original territory.

Not sure how that would end up looking, but in my mind it's not too bad.

Risky's kinda-a-big-deal-ness was so massive it spilled over, so I'm handling the excess here.

5. #5 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

tom wrote:
    I think the best way around this is to have the designer select between two different display options for borders, one the border arrow and the other have the territories highlight but don't display the border.

I think that would potentially work, although there would need to be some way of showing the border information tooltip.  Toaster's suggestion may be able to account for this, although I'm not sure how well it would look or if there would end up being numerous borders that overlay one another.

At the same time, when the center of two territories are very close together (for example the balloon on the map in question above), a very small border is drawn that lays on top the territories, which I have been unable to be able to hover over to get the tooltip for the border.

What's Your Passion?

A cure? Three simple molecules? Building for the small? Compassion for children?

Edited Fri 5th Feb 04:49 [history]

6. #6 / 11
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

I like the 2 options. I really like the option of highlighting one color around the selected territories and highlighting another around the other territories. I also like maybe making green highlight around advantageous attack borders, white around standard (or a range around 6v6 dice) and red to defensive borders.

7. #7 / 11
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

That's a good idea EN.

8. #8 / 11
    Enginerd weathertop
    Rank
    Brigadier General
    Rank Posn

so we have lines and circles both having the attack advantage/disadvantage color coding scheme...

is this the type of thing you're thinking of adding to the mouseover in-game too so it displays more than just the name and occupier? *shakes head*

Don't Taze Me Bro!

9. #9 / 11
    Factory Worker Edward Nygma
    Rank
    Major
    Rank Posn

This would be a nice place for a mouse click keyboard modifier, like Hold Shift and Click to see country details, Hold Nothing and Click, select territory...

10. #10 / 11
    Premium Member Yertle
    Rank
    Major General
    Rank Posn

Should the Border Tooltip be available when in the Flash Player Design tab and viewing All borders? If so it isn't, if not then why not? :P

What's Your Passion?

11. #11 / 11
    WarGear Admin tom
    Rank
    Commander In Chief
    Rank Posn

It's not - as there could potentially be two borders between any pair of territories so which one should be displayed and how do you denote which border is which?

(i.e. I couldn't think about a way to display the info so I dropped it :p )

You need to log in to reply to this thread   Login | Join

Pages:   1   (1 in total)